Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 03:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Be nice.
Lol. I never.... ever.....pay attention to finger-shaking from fundamentalists. I learned, before you were born, that they were in no position to lecture anyone.

You're what? Twenty? You're upset because people are explaining things to you that you should have learned in high school. Go to Amazon and buy "U.S. Constitution for Dummies" and learn how that wonderful document works. Spend an evening learning the basics and you won't get your feelings hurt when people try and educate you. Easy peasy. Less than 20 bucks.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-27-2015 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 05:16 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,550,226 times
Quote:
I just find this pretty insensitive and downright disgusting. It's sad that our society has to cave to the demands of intolerate atheists and these students can not have a memorial to their beloved teacher.

And I find it rude that All christians demand that the rest of us start worshipping their God only

Old 02-27-2015, 05:59 PM

10,090 posts, read 5,743,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Lol. I never.... ever.....pay attention to finger-shaking from fundamentalists. I learned, before you were born, that they were in no position to lecture anyone.

You're what? Twenty? You're upset because people are explaining things to you that you should have learned in high school. Go to Amazon and buy "U.S. Constitution for Dummies" and learn how that wonderful document works. Spend an evening learning the basics and you won't get your feelings hurt when people try and educate you. Easy peasy. Less than 20 bucks.
Feelings hurt? lol You give yourself too much credit and only demonstrate why I should never take anything you say seriously. When all else fails, attack the poster and suggest that they lack intelligence and education. That's the only thing that is going on here.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:21 PM

339 posts, read 334,699 times
I agree with the Atheists Group on this matter.

A memorial to a beloved teacher is all very well and good.

Why cannot we leave it at that? We bring superstitious, fictional icons into the equation in the form of angels? How would you like it if I posted a Satanic Symbol over the memorial of my recently deceased professor?

Is it not the same thing? Both are pertaining to religion, and to supernatural entities.

Everyone is better served and better off when religion or sky gods and his flying friends are left back where they belong and not foisted upon the general public.

It has been going on for far too long. I am glad over the past several years or so that more sensible folks are demanding it come to a screeching halt.

And soon it will. Trust me.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times
Quote:
When all else fails, attack the poster and suggest that they lack intelligence and education.
Ignoring the fact that I never suggest someone lacks intelligence.... As a big fan of education, and the Constitution, I will absolutely tell people when they need more education. Especially on something as important as our rights as citizens. Don't like my telling you that? Then I invite you to dazzle us with your brilliance on the Constitution. Dang, I'd love to know there's a fundamentalist out there who actually understands how it applies to citizenship, religion and rights.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:14 PM

63,858 posts, read 40,142,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
I agree with the Atheists Group on this matter.
A memorial to a beloved teacher is all very well and good.
Why cannot we leave it at that? We bring superstitious, fictional icons into the equation in the form of angels? How would you like it if I posted a Satanic Symbol over the memorial of my recently deceased professor?
Is it not the same thing? Both are pertaining to religion, and to supernatural entities.
Everyone is better served and better off when religion or sky gods and his flying friends are left back where they belong and not foisted upon the general public.
It has been going on for far too long. I am glad over the past several years or so that more sensible folks are demanding it come to a screeching halt.
And soon it will. Trust me.
I disagree. I am hopeful that saner heads will prevail and these extremist demands seeking to remove existing memorials will be summarily dismissed as ex post facto. I would hope that our freedom of religious expression . . . especially in the public square where freedom of expression is most valuable . . . will also be honored. The currently extreme interpretations of what violates the establishment of religion clause will eventually be moderated by cooler heads and less extreme voices, IMO. There is no room for official government establishment of any preferred religion . . . but the current ideas about what constitutes establishing a religion are overly broad . . . seeking to eliminate even generic acknowledgement of the existence of any kind of God. The latter is NOT establishing a religion.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:23 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,327,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
the atheists are anti christ.
quite clearly.
I think Bellevue needs to do a bed check.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Like I've said before, I've based my perceptions on atheists on my personal experiences. And those experiences involving atheists have always always been 100% negative. Mockery is plentiful even here, and mockery is nothing more than an extension of hostility. Another example? The fact that I never once see atheists disagree with each other in a debate involving Christian. Instead, it's always back slapping bravos.
Honestly, it gives me no pleasure in telling you this - I have no personal animosity towards you at all despite some of the things you believe in. But seriously, if every encounter you've had with an atheist has been 100% negative, then you might want to start considering the possibility that the onus might be on you. I don't know how many encounters you've had with atheists, but if it's more than a few, then it's probably not all of them that are the problem, but you. Something you do, some mannerism, some behavioral trait is being seen by atheists as irritating or even overtly hostile. It's easy to lose sight of that when hashing out big issues like religion vs atheism, but even big debates require a certain "something" in the charisma department.

No, I don't know what it might be. This is a text-only medium and there's no way I could tell you what it might be - if it really is anything at all. In any event, you can mull over what I've said or chuck it in the trash. The choice is yours.

As for mockery, well ... I guess that's the flip side to the Christians when we atheists are threatened with eternal torture. Some of us do find that insulting because, when that is used as a weapon, what's actually being said is, "You DESERVE to be tortured forever." How would YOU feel if someone told you that? I think that's far worse than mockery and a joke or two at Christianity's expense. It's not that we actually believe we're going to be frying at the end of Satan's pitchfork. What's disturbing is that YOU (meaning Christians in general) believe it.

And finally, regarding these "back-slapping bravos" you talk about, I really don't know what you would have us all do? Should we deliberately write posts that we know other atheists will disagree with just to take some heat off the Christians? Should we really be that deceptive and dishonest?

As far as I recall, I never joined a clique nor has anyone offered me a membership into one. To the best of my knowledge, there are no anti-Christian conspiracies or planning strategies held offline so that we atheists are always in synch with each other or so that we're always in agreement. There's no atheist club that is out to get you - at least not one that I belong to. I'm not even in communication with anyone through private messages that maintains solidarity among atheists.

The bottom line is that, if we usually agree with each other, should that REALLY come as a surprise to you?

Quote:
Again, the nature of this forum only serves to support my perceptions. Look at the quality of thread posts. Almost 100% anti-Christian only really serving the purpose of trying to demonize and make Christians look bad.
And yet you're here ... and you keep coming back. No, I'm not suggesting that you leave. That's not what I want at all. I only say that because a lot of us here simply enjoy the challenge of a debate. For me, especially, being disabled on top of living in one of the most isolated IQ wastelands in America, I need to keep my brain exercised lest I become another vegetable watching reality TV all day and night. In some ways, I guess, you're actually helping me out in your own way (which isn't to say I don't mean what I say in my debates because I do).

The fact that you're here mixing it up with the rest of us, it's easy to assume you're here because you enjoy it, as well. I'm sure there are other things you could be doing than responding to all of us mean and nasty atheists. The fact that you actively CHOOSE to be here says to me that you enjoy a good intellectual "rastling" match.

But hey, I get the fact that it might seem like people are ganging up on you or that all of us atheists are teaming up and dog-piling you. If that's how you feel, send me a private message. I'll leave you alone for awhile. My intentions aren't to make you angry or for you to rip your hair out.

Quote:
I'm really sorry that you believe Christians are just horrible people, but that is so far from reality.
I don't think Christians are horrible people. I don't think I've ever said that. However, I will be honest (as I always am) and say that there are aspects of Christianity itself that I find to be rather horrible. It's just too bad that some good people can get caught up in it. Things like that pro-discrimination law in Mississippi ... c'mon. That's the kind of slimeball religion that's going to get atheists rankled. That doesn't mean, however, that I think all Christians are horrible people.

Quote:
The Christians I know help each other. I serve a God who I've seen heal broken lives and rescued people from a dark life of drug abuse. Now how can you say that is a bad thing? Christ is not a myth. These people didn't heal themselves through the power of their own imagination.
No, people healed themselves with their own strength and determination. I don't go around visiting hospitals and rehab clinics to tell everyone that Christ is a myth; as long as Christians respect the ideal that religion is a private choice and not something that should be pushed onto people through the force of law, then I really don't care what people wish to believe. I only challenge it here because it's a debate and discussion forum about religion.

Quote:
None? Ok, here is one example. The school had to tear down the banner because apparently atheists find anything from the Bible to be so offensive.
Jeff, a banner in a gym doesn't affect anyone's life one way or the other. Yet if we allow a school promote the Bible this one time, certain Christians will be encouraged to sneak religion into the public school system whenever they think we're not looking. There are plenty of private schools out there which are free to promote religion all they wish to.

But the real point I was trying to make is that a religious banner in the gym, a memorial bench with a cross on it ... whether they exist or not, no one's life is really affected by it. You can't compare that to gay marriage, without which partners are denied all kinds of benefits, not the least of which concerns medical rights and visitation privileges. I had a lesbian couple as my roommates throughout my grad school years and I've seen first hand what this does to people, how seriously and egregiously this anti-gay marriage crusade affected them.

And that's to say nothing of the hatred it generates. When I was an undergrad, I had a female roommate and we lived off campus. Nothing at all strange about that. Yet we had our house egged and our cars vandalized by a gang of neighborhood kids, none of whom could have been older than 12, because they thought my roommate and I were gay. Just because we lived together, they thought we were gay - and because they thought we were gay, they believed they had the right to vandalize our property and holler gay slurs at us whenever they saw us outside (even when we weren't with each other).

Kids that young, they have to be taught to hate gays and I doubt very much that this hatred came from secular parents. Surely you can see why I'm very much against Christians who teach this kind of hatred and bigotry. I'm not even gay, not even bi-curious, but because of this anti-gay frenzy the Christians started, I couldn't even have a female roommate in college without having to put up with a lot of crap. Yes, even "innocent" people who aren't gay were harassed and bullied because of the fear taught to young children by bigoted parents. And if it happened to me and my friend ... how often do you think this has happened to others like us all over the country? You're not going to see it on the news, after all.

I don't argue and debate against Christians just for kicks. There are very real consequences for the BS being said behind pulpits and in front of mics all over America.

Stop and think about THAT before accusing me or anyone like me of simply hating Christians or thinking they're all bad people. It's a two-way street, ya know?

Take care, Jeff.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:27 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,218,671 times
The accusation that atheists hate Christians is really a bit absurd since I'd guess I'm not the only one whose friends and loved ones are , by a large majority, Christian.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The accusation that atheists hate Christians is really a bit absurd since I'd guess I'm not the only one whose friends and loved ones are , by a large majority, Christian.
Yeah I've said that before, too. If I hated Christians, the number of people eligible to be liked by me would be so small that making friends would be statistically impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality