Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 08:05 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,401,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Your side - people, typical atheists, who demonstrate a relentless deep hostility towards Christianity or any element of society that is pro-Christianity particularly functions and laws of government.
So.... people that exist mainly in your own head then? Because as this thread and another have shown all week, you fabricate these "typical" atheists out of your imagination by basically misrepresenting everything they do and say and.... where that fails.... you simply make things up about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 08:32 AM

16,765 posts, read 15,825,298 times
Quote:
Your side - people, typical atheists, who demonstrate a relentless deep hostility towards Christianity or any element of society that is pro-Christianity particularly functions and laws of government. Their desire is to see government suppress freedom of religion using such mechanisms as discrimination and separation of church and state as the driving force.

The topic crosses the line between political and religious so I don't see any reason why it is not relevant to this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
So.... people that exist mainly in your own head then? Because as this thread and another have shown all week, you fabricate these "typical" atheists out of your imagination by basically misrepresenting everything they do and say and.... where that fails.... you simply make things up about them.

Not one time. Ever. In this forum or any other. Never have I claimed to be an atheist. I am a strong proponent of the Constitution. I have done my own research, and I think I understand most of the Supreme Court rulings. What you call discrimination or hostility toward Christianity is completely unknown to me. I have seen nothing that demonstrated that the government is trying to suppress anybody's religion. I DO have a lot of trouble understanding why you think Christian symbols should be displayed on government property, yet, when asked about displaying those same symbols in your yard, or putting the "Prayer Station" in the church parking lot, you remain silent.

Buy the land across the street from the school and put up the biggest cross the local building code will allow. That should make everybody happy (except for those who think the government should be paying to erect and maintain the cross).

Old 02-27-2015, 08:37 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,667,444 times
I mean you guys can shake your thingies at each other, that's fine and all. But spending money to remove everything no matter how small is stupid.

sure, no more ten commandments on buildings. Maybe even spackle over some. Any more is wasting time and money. And forcing a belief (no god or otherwise) on everybody aint right either. If kids want to pray or not pray let them.

"pledging", that's a different story
"science class", that is a whole 'nother league. I can't play pro football. I don't do "literal religion and No izzed off ex Christian house wife is telling me anything either. We are not able to "process" the same things equally.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:51 AM

10,103 posts, read 5,777,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Not one time. Ever. In this forum or any other. Never have I claimed to be an atheist. I am a strong proponent of the Constitution. I have done my own research, and I think I understand most of the Supreme Court rulings. What you call discrimination or hostility toward Christianity is completely unknown to me. I have seen nothing that demonstrated that the government is trying to suppress anybody's religion. I DO have a lot of trouble understanding why you think Christian symbols should be displayed on government property, yet, when asked about displaying those same symbols in your yard, or putting the "Prayer Station" in the church parking lot, you remain silent.

I made a clear case of my position. A cross memorial represents the deceased, and is not making a religious statement to the public. I don't have any problem displaying a cross in my yard, but that really only serves the purpose of telling people that I am a Christian. I rather fly the Christian flag.

We are a civilized modern society. Surely, we can come up with a solution that pleases all parties. But one side of the debate refuses to compromise or even listen. You say you have seen nothing about the government suppressing freedom of religion. Again, I bring up the Christian baker. Their freedom to exercise their moral beliefs and not have their products used in a gay wedding was not only suppressed, but punished by the government. They may be forced to pay the lesbian couple thousands of dollars. How is that not suppressing religious freedom?

Old 02-27-2015, 08:55 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,358,997 times
Quote:
I made a clear case of my position. A cross memorial represents the deceased, and is not making a religious statement to the public. I don't have any problem displaying a cross in my yard, but that really only serves the purpose of telling people that I am a Christian. I rather fly the Christian flag.

We are a civilized modern society. Surely, we can come up with a solution that pleases all parties. But one side of the debate refuses to compromise or even listen. You say you have seen nothing about the government suppressing freedom of religion. Again, I bring up the Christian baker. Their freedom to exercise their moral beliefs and not have their products used in a gay wedding was not only suppressed, but punished by the government. They may be forced to pay the lesbian couple thousands of dollars. How is that not suppressing religious freedom?
They broke the law.

There's nothing more to say about that case. Same thing with the Florist in Washington.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:09 AM

10,103 posts, read 5,777,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
They broke the law.

There's nothing more to say about that case. Same thing with the Florist in Washington.
You know governments can create unjust laws, right?

Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 AM

18,551 posts, read 9,238,261 times
Quote:
Be careful what you wish for. Do you want a Muslim call to prayer coming from your local courthouse? Do you think a Muslim doctor should be able to refuse service to you because of his/her religion? Do you want a liberal Christian on school property distributing pamphlets discussing why they think the bible contains errors?

Old 02-27-2015, 09:18 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,358,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Do you want a Muslim call to prayer coming from your local courthouse? Do you think a Muslim doctor should be able to refuse service to you because of his/her religion? Do you want a liberal Christian on school property distributing pamphlets discussing why they think the bible contains errors?
Or how about pharmacists refusing to sell the morning after pill to women who need it? Oh wait that already happens

Old 02-27-2015, 09:23 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,316,763 times
Quote:
Unjust is often a matter of personal interpretation. Which is why our country uses the judicial system,as established by the Constitution, to determine those things. Not individuals. I live in the boonies and think it's unjust that I have to limit my speed on a road that would be all kinds of fun if I was allowed to drive it going 90 instead of 50. But it's the law and I'm not special.

Neither are you. Neither are the bakers who think they should be able to ignore the law and discriminate against members of the LGBT community because of their religious beliefs.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:20 AM

23,178 posts, read 26,319,453 times
Quote:
Your side - people, typical atheists, who demonstrate a relentless deep hostility towards Christianity or any element of society that is pro-Christianity particularly functions and laws of government. Their desire is to see government suppress freedom of religion using such mechanisms as discrimination and separation of church and state as the driving force.
Do we understand from this that you don't want separation between church and state?
And that you're just fine with discrimination?
Or is it that you just want a exception made for Christians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality