Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 03:45 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,552,407 times

Advertisements

Do The Small-Business Owners The GOP Claims To Listen To Even Exist?

Quote:
-- Jody Gorran, chairman of Aquatherm Industries: "This mantra that every dollar in tax increases is a dollar away from job creation -- give me a break. ... It's not taxes that affects job creation, it's demand."

-- Kelly Conklin, owner of Foley-Waite Associates: "I don't decide to hire or buy equipment based on tax policy. ... We know how to make **** out of wood."

-- Debra Ruh, owner of TecAccess: "We need to hire people, but we don't have the cash or the credit to do it. ... I don't mind paying taxes. ... I like living in the United States and having the opportunities here. I don't understand why running a business has to be about avoiding paying taxes."

-- Michael Teahan, owner of Espresso Resource: "What we do in business, how we spend our money, how we allocate our resources -- that has very little to do with tax policy. ... I map my business based on my customers and what my customers want to buy and what they can afford to buy."

-- Rick Poore, owner of Designwear Inc.: "If you drive more people to my business, I will hire more people. It's as simple as that. If you give me a tax break, I'll just take the wife to the Bahamas."

-- Lew Prince, owner of Vintage Vinyl: "The economic premise that people won't hire because they might have to pay more taxes if they make more money is beyond laughable. ... You hire when you think there's a way you can make more money with that hire. The percentage the government takes out of it has almost nothing to do with it."
GOP Objects To 'Millionaires Surtax'; Millionaires We Found? Not So Much : It's All Politics : NPR

Quote:
or Jason Burger, the motivation is similar.

"If my taxes go up, I have slightly less disposable income, yes," said Burger, co-owner of CSS International Holdings, a global infrastructure contractor. "But that has nothing to do with what my business does. What my business does is based on the contracts that it wins and the demand for its services."

"It's not in the top 20 things that we think about when we're making a business hire," said Ian Yankwitt, who owns Tortoise Investment Management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 03:48 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,579,618 times
If the GOP had any knowledge of economics, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:56 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,379,312 times
There is no disagreement here but who is likely to increase the demands for a product more; a consumer with $100 in their wallet and a $10 tax bill or a person with $100 and a $50 tax bill?

Old 12-10-2011, 03:57 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,307,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Please explain that statement. The Dems controlled the House for 4 solid years and have been dominant in the Senate the last 4 years and too many problems came up during the 2 years they had Congress and the Presidency. You know like that health care law that small business people find so scary since they don't really know if they can pay the taxes and fines from not having a good health care policy. Many of them feel that paying the fine is cheaper than buying the policies. Now that one makes me wonder who is the dummy here.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:58 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,100,612 times
And if my taxes increase, I prob'ly will hold off buying that new car, stereo, dishwasher, etc.

While taxes on businesses are a PART of the cost of doing business, any business owner, CEO, manager, etc. that disregards taxes prob'ly ain't takin' care of bizniss.

Geez.

We had to consider the tax implications when we decided to sell our old house.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:01 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,962,631 times
Quote:
Another brilliant American Voter.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:04 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,100,612 times
Quote:

If the liberals literally didn't give houses away then we wouldn't be in this mess.

Well, they only gave them away for a little while.

Then those mean GOP people took 'em back.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:18 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,379,312 times
I sometimes have difficulty in understanding the tortured, or in this case incomplete, logic of liberals but I think the OP is presenting statements of business people who are saying taxes have less effect on their business hiring than demand for their products. What is obviously missing here is that if a consumer has a $100 to be spent on a product but he owes $50 to Washington D.C., or the Statehouse, the demand for the product is greatly diminished. Then we are back to the statements of the business people who conclude they need demand for their products in order to hire.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:34 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,775,353 times
I think that the argument that cutting taxes will create jobs is just bankrupt. Tax cuts are just a weak incentive if demand is not there.

Cutting spending at this point will just put government workers out of jobs too. And with government workers out of jobs, demand will drop further. That is the reasoning, and it is sound.

Using examples of taxes going from 10$ to $50 dollars sounds dramatic, but noone in either party is proposing that sort of tax hike. At worst, a millionaire might have income tax rates go from 28-35%. That will not affect hiring nearly so much as axing the government spending to balance the budget. That is the reasoning. Government jobs and private jobs are always part of a balanced portfolio, and cutting taxes to the bone will not magically create jobs. That's the point.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:47 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,215,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
And if my taxes increase, I prob'ly will hold off buying that new car, stereo, dishwasher, etc.

While taxes on businesses are a PART of the cost of doing business, any business owner, CEO, manager, etc. that disregards taxes prob'ly ain't takin' care of bizniss.

Geez.

We had to consider the tax implications when we decided to sell our old house.
If you're in the tax bracket that would hold off buying a car or a dishwasher because of an increase in your tax bill, then you're not in the group they're talking about raising. They mean the folks who make a million or more a year, and who don't spend the excess--they invest it. Raising taxes on the lower and middle class would be a nightmare right now--we buy things and create the demand for businesses to grow.

Add me to the list of small business owners who think taxing the personal income of million dollar a year earners has nothing to do with creating jobs. I'm a long way from that category, but why in the heck would I hire someone unless I actually needed them--it's all about demand, and demand is all about every day people having a little bit of extra money in their pockets to spend. If the money doesn't circulate in the economy, it doesn't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies