Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 11:24 AM

6,321 posts, read 4,352,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Your side - people, typical atheists, who demonstrate a relentless deep hostility towards Christianity or any element of society that is pro-Christianity particularly functions and laws of government.
Religion like yours is based on the Biblical premise: "If you're not for us, you're against us." There is only God and Satan. Unless our butts are firmly planted in the pew next to you, we're against you. Therefore, everything we do is considered by you to be a "relentless deep hostility towards Christianity." It's why people like myself are constantly accused of hating Christians because we dare to voice our concerns and complaints about the nature of religion and the reasons why we don't believe it.

At least we try to separate the good Christians from the bad ones - but not you. Oh no. Because you label the "typical atheist" as someone who really does hate Christians, someone who works ceaselessly to abolish religion and deny Christians their freedom to do anything they want regardless of the law or the Constitution.

In other words, you think the TYPICAL atheists are the extremists. Well ... what if I said that about Christians? Yeah, we all know the riotous indignation you would attempt to dump into our laps.

Quote:
Their desire is to see government suppress freedom of religion using such mechanisms as discrimination and separation of church and state as the driving force.
Really. Hmm. Well, tell me Jeff -- how many governors have signed a bill into law on behalf of atheists to allow us to discriminate against people who do not live up to our expectations of what a moral life ought to be? How many bills have been signed on behalf of atheists that allow us to boot people out of our businesses or refuse to serve them because they offend our "sincerely held secular beliefs?"

Oh right ... NONE. So for you to have the temerity to accuse ATHEISTS of using discrimination as a weapon is JUST PLAIN IDIOTIC.

I don't think I need to say anything further in response to a comment that is so far afield of reality that you may as well be writing the sequel to Lord of the Rings.

Quote:
The topic crosses the line between political and religious so I don't see any reason why it is not relevant to this forum.
It would be interesting to have a place where we can discuss issues that blur the line between religion and politics -- but that isn't going to happen so we'll just have to be careful not to cross over into politics TOO much. The mods do give us some leeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 11:40 AM

64,150 posts, read 40,503,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Unjust is often a matter of personal interpretation. Which is why our country uses the judicial system,as established by the Constitution, to determine those things. Not individuals. I live in the boonies and think it's unjust that I have to limit my speed on a road that would be all kinds of fun if I was allowed to drive it going 90 instead of 50. But it's the law and I'm not special.
Neither are you. Neither are the bakers who think they should be able to ignore the law and discriminate against members of the LGBT community because of their religious beliefs.
Amen, Dew!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Do we understand from this that you don't want separation between church and state?
And that you're just fine with discrimination?
Or is it that you just want a exception made for Christians?
Jeff definitely wants an exception made for Christians. People like Jeff tend to THINK that what their God wants from us should be the basis for all our laws. In fact it should be the opposite. Anything that our God wants from us has to be voluntary or it has no value to God. What we are forced to do has nothing to do with our state of mind (Sprit) so it is pointless. Secular laws exist to establish order in society and protections for its citizens . . . NOT to please ANYONE'S God.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:18 PM

7,349 posts, read 6,988,283 times
the atheists are anti christ.
quite clearly.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:49 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,343,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Do you want a Muslim call to prayer coming from your local courthouse? Do you think a Muslim doctor should be able to refuse service to you because of his/her religion? Do you want a liberal Christian on school property distributing pamphlets discussing why they think the bible contains errors?
Bet his tune would change then

Old 02-27-2015, 01:51 PM

10,103 posts, read 5,786,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Religion like yours is based on the Biblical premise: "If you're not for us, you're against us." There is only God and Satan. Unless our butts are firmly planted in the pew next to you, we're against you. Therefore, everything we do is considered by you to be a "relentless deep hostility towards Christianity." It's why people like myself are constantly accused of hating Christians because we dare to voice our concerns and complaints about the nature of religion and the reasons why we don't believe it.
Like I've said before, I've based my perceptions on atheists on my personal experiences. And those experiences involving atheists have always always been 100% negative. Mockery is plentiful even here, and mockery is nothing more than an extension of hostility. Another example? The fact that I never once see atheists disagree with each other in a debate involving Christian. Instead, it's always back slapping bravos.

Quote:

At least we try to separate the good Christians from the bad ones - but not you. Oh no. Because you label the "typical atheist" as someone who really does hate Christians, someone who works ceaselessly to abolish religion and deny Christians their freedom to do anything they want regardless of the law or the Constitution.

In other words, you think the TYPICAL atheists are the extremists. Well ... what if I said that about Christians? Yeah, we all know the riotous indignation you would attempt to dump into our laps.

Again, the nature of this forum only serves to support my perceptions. Look at the quality of thread posts. Almost 100% anti-Christian only really serving the purpose of trying to demonize and make Christians look bad. I'm really sorry that you believe Christians are just horrible people, but that is so far from reality. The Christians I know help each other. I serve a God who I've seen heal broken lives and rescued people from a dark life of drug abuse. Now how can you say that is a bad thing? Christ is not a myth. These people didn't heal themselves through the power of their own imagination.

Quote:

Really. Hmm. Well, tell me Jeff -- how many governors have signed a bill into law on behalf of atheists to allow us to discriminate against people who do not live up to our expectations of what a moral life ought to be? How many bills have been signed on behalf of atheists that allow us to boot people out of our businesses or refuse to serve them because they offend our "sincerely held secular beliefs?"

Oh right ... NONE. So for you to have the temerity to accuse ATHEISTS of using discrimination as a weapon is JUST PLAIN IDIOTIC.

None? Ok, here is one example. The school had to tear down the banner because apparently atheists find anything from the Bible to be so offensive.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...e-removed.html

Old 02-27-2015, 01:57 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,363,564 times
Quote:
Like I've said before, I've based my perceptions on atheists on my personal experiences. And those experiences involving atheists have always always been 100% negative. Mockery is plentiful even here, and mockery is nothing more than an extension of hostility. Another example? The fact that I never once see atheists disagree with each other in a debate involving Christian. Instead, it's always back slapping bravos.

Again, the nature of this forum only serves to support my perceptions. Look at the quality of thread posts. Almost 100% anti-Christian only really serving the purpose of trying to demonize and make Christians look bad. I'm really sorry that you believe Christians are just horrible people, but that is so far from reality. The Christians I know help each other. I serve a God who I've seen heal broken lives and rescued people from a dark life of drug abuse. Now how can you say that is a bad thing? Christ is not a myth. These people didn't heal themselves through the power of their own imagination.

None? Ok, here is one example. The school had to tear down the banner because apparently atheists find anything from the Bible to be so offensive.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...e-removed.html
Pro tip.

Don't link to Fox "News"... you'll only get mocked for it

I love your certainty on the number of Atheists that fit your description. It's all in your head. You have a wicked case of confirmation bias!

Old 02-27-2015, 02:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,350,471 times
Quote:
Like I've said before, I've based my perceptions on atheists on my personal experiences. And those experiences involving atheists have always always been 100% negative. Mockery is plentiful even here, and mockery is nothing more than an extension of hostility.
Poor you.

Dude. You've been given, in numerous posts on various thread you've started, a free education on the U.S. Constitution and the legislative, judicial and executive branches of government. You've not once acknowledged that people are trying to help you understand how this country works!

You can choose to learn or you can continue to wallow in self-pity and feelings of being persecuted. Most fundamentalists choose the latter. I suspect because it's easier than cracking open a book.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:19 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,363,564 times
Quote:
Poor you.

Dude. You've been given, in numerous posts on various thread you've started, a free education on the U.S. Constitution and the legislative, judicial and executive branches of government. You've not once acknowledged that people are trying to help you understand how this country works!

You can choose to learn or you can continue to wallow in self-pity and feelings of being persecuted. Most fundamentalists choose the latter. I suspect because it's easier than cracking open a book.
I think it's more mentally exhausting in my opinion lol

Old 02-27-2015, 03:20 PM

10,103 posts, read 5,786,270 times
Quote:
Poor you.

And you only serve to prove my point again with typical condescending type (eye rolling) rhetoric here. Self pity? I am only here to stand up for the truth.

Sorry, but I don't see a sincere desire to educate me beyond telling me to go take a civics class. lol Here's a tip if you truly want to someone to listen to you. Be nice.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:48 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,701,839 times
Quote:
I made a clear case of my position. A cross memorial represents the deceased, and is not making a religious statement to the public. I don't have any problem displaying a cross in my yard, but that really only serves the purpose of telling people that I am a Christian. I rather fly the Christian flag.

We are a civilized modern society. Surely, we can come up with a solution that pleases all parties. But one side of the debate refuses to compromise or even listen. You say you have seen nothing about the government suppressing freedom of religion. Again, I bring up the Christian baker. Their freedom to exercise their moral beliefs and not have their products used in a gay wedding was not only suppressed, but punished by the government. They may be forced to pay the lesbian couple thousands of dollars. How is that not suppressing religious freedom?
When a woman wears a cross on a necklace is it not a testament of her faith? Next time I see a women wearing a cross, I'll have to ask her, "why are you wearing the letter T on your necklace?" I'm sure she will correct me and tell me she is wearing a cross an it represents Christianity.

Jeffbase, we all know the cross is a Christian symbol, the other parts of the memorial were allow to stay on property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality