Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 12:57 AM

4 posts, read 11,346 times

Advertisements

hello everyone, i am 21 years of age. I'm back in college, i was originally going to college to become a DENTAL HYGIENIST, at a private college. I am worried that the field is getting over crowded and that i won't be able to get a job as a dental hygienist. I hear the field is over crowded here in California, what is your take on this? does anyone know JOB SECURITY for DENTAL HYGIENE?

I'm currently looking to switch majors to RN (Registered Nurse), i really want to follow my heart and become a dental hygienist but I'm not sure the job security after i graduate, presuming i do graduate..

I hear Dental Hygiene is not a good field to get into, people are saying the demand is getting lower, this is why i am thinking about changing to RN, thinking.

RN OR DH, anyone have any advice? i will have to make my mind up by the end of this semester!

thanks for taking time to read much appreciated.
OH this is my first post on this forum! thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 07:32 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemz View Post
does anyone know JOB SECURITY for DENTAL HYGIENE?
I think job security is a thing of the past, no matter WHAT field you are in....

Old 11-17-2009, 10:34 AM

523 posts, read 1,679,800 times
Follow your heart. If you are passionate about being a DH, then you will be a fantastic and successful DH!

And, I concur, the with Pitt Chick, job security is a thing of the past.

p.s. I love my DH!

Old 11-17-2009, 12:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy-NJ-NY-ME? View Post
Follow your heart. If you are passionate about being a DH, then you will be a fantastic and successful DH!

And, I concur, the with Pitt Chick, job security is a thing of the past.

p.s. I love my DH!
I was just going to say almost those exact words! Follow your dream. You have to work too long not to be doing something you enjoy.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:51 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,591 times
I wouldn't recommend anyone become a registered nurse. I wish someone had warned me in time. Bad hours, bad pay. But if it is your dream, I wish I could sell you my rego.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:19 AM

768 posts, read 942,301 times
I don't understand how you can be wishy-washy about careers like that to the degree that you'd just drop everything and nurse. It's not like the difference between teaching 5th grade and switching to 4th.

Have you ever shadowed an RN? They deal with the sick and dying, or the insane, or those in incredible pain, or the elderly. Most RN's deal with bodily fluids on a regular basis. They must square the ugliest facets of our existence on a daily basis and still find a way to go home with a smile. Compare that to sitting in a tranquil office all day with bad jazz music and one or two people in the waiting room at the dentists office.

I think notion of "oh well I'll just be a nurse lol" is insane. Moreover, dental hygiene is still a growing field as per the federal govt job research, and they are generally conservative in their research. It's still a great field to go into.

Stay where you are.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:56 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,759 times
RN, and travel the world.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:25 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,591 times
RN, and deal with incontinence, oozing venous ulcers, necrotic wounds, confused patients who rip out their IV cannulas, patients who walk into the clinic with chest pain that started three days ago and didn't bother going to ED, patients with severe resiratory distress who are more concerned about where their cigarettes are...shall I keep going?

Join the navy and travel the world I say.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:10 AM

4 posts, read 11,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
I don't understand how you can be wishy-washy about careers like that to the degree that you'd just drop everything and nurse. It's not like the difference between teaching 5th grade and switching to 4th.

Have you ever shadowed an RN? They deal with the sick and dying, or the insane, or those in incredible pain, or the elderly. Most RN's deal with bodily fluids on a regular basis. They must square the ugliest facets of our existence on a daily basis and still find a way to go home with a smile. Compare that to sitting in a tranquil office all day with bad jazz music and one or two people in the waiting room at the dentists office.

I think notion of "oh well I'll just be a nurse lol" is insane. Moreover, dental hygiene is still a growing field as per the federal govt job research, and they are generally conservative in their research. It's still a great field to go into.

Stay where you are.
true, i don't think i can deal with people in the bed dying.. and be happy.. i don't think RN is for me.

I will stick with DENTAL HYGIENE. I've narrowed it down to two careers-

DENTAL HYGIENE - ASSOCIATES

PETROLEUM ENGINEERING - 4 YEAR BACHELOR

petroleum is very intriguing but we'll see. does anyone know about A career in
PETROLEUM ENGINEERING

Old 11-20-2009, 12:56 AM

314 posts, read 935,722 times
I think only certain people can be nurses. I have friends that are wonderful nurses. But if your heart is in DH, go for it. You are thinking about pertroleum engineering now? You sound like me when I first went to college I didnt really know where my niche was but I found it in the hospital lab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities