Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 05:27 AM

546 posts, read 2,424,783 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the area! Good luck with your hunt and keep us posted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 09:41 AM

45 posts, read 103,446 times
Default Wow

Hi All
I am new to this thred but am SO glad I bumped into you! Like SUzanne my family and I are considering a move to NC shortly (from Bergen County NJ). Just so sick of how it is up here. Anyway, I am petrified about uprooting my kids and then finding ourselves in a difficult situation with the schools and culture shock....the southern hospitality sounds like a wonderful change though. Anyway, we already looked in Wake and loved Cary and North Raleigh. Any other comparisons and advice would be welcomed and greatly appreciated.
Suzanne...hope you are having a fabulous weekend away!!!
Kelly

Old 02-17-2008, 03:01 PM

615 posts, read 1,509,811 times
If you are from Bergen County I would suggest sticking to Wake Co. rather than Johnston/Harnett etc. I think it would be too much of a culture shock for you as Johnston/Harnett and outlying counties out of Raleigh are very rural. If you've ever been to South Jersey(Cumberland County/Atlantic County etc.) which is where I am from, the outlying Raleigh counties are A LOT like that. I live in Johnston Co. and it was not that much of a change for me coming from rural S. Jersey.....but I think coming from middle-N. Jersey it would be a HUGE change. The nearest indoor mall is about 40 minutes from where I live. But Cary/Apex/Wake Forest etc. remind me much more of N. Jersey or the Cherry Hill area.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:09 PM

116 posts, read 473,402 times
Kelly,
How old are your kids? I think thats a big factor. Like the PP said, Johnston Co. (where we ended up 6 weeks ago) is very rural. We came from a large city and, while it may seem like a nice chage of pace, its also a big adjustment. Even more so if your moving away from friends and family. I ask about your kids because our youngest(8) is doing so/so but our high schooler is having a really hard time. Athough we did a lot of homework re: school systems and Johnston Co seemed like a good choice, The freshman here are covering material she did in 7th and 8th grade. And the kids are NOT welcoming in that age range for some reason. Like I said, the younger kids are great. Just adding my 2 cents worth.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,228 times
Hello,
My fiance is retiring and moving from Rochester, NY to NC. I am living in Charlotte, NC, and he likes Clayton, NC. He stumbled across it also while visiting his son in Goldsboro, NC. I want to find more information out about housing, schools, shopping, etc. Could you send me some sites that could help with the information. We will visit the area in March, 08.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:50 AM

850 posts, read 3,635,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priorityonecb View Post
"I think the huge lots of land at White Oak and also next to Walmart would be IDEAL for a B&N. I think we should start a petition or something. Who do we need to write to? "

We've written to both Borders and B&N...they both said they don't have any future plans to build here dang it!!!
Yes, but all location requests are sent to their Real Estate research division! If they get enough of them, they might listen? I JUST wrote to Costco and they said the same thing but I'm going to continue to send my letters in on a semi regular basis. I also give info/facts/stats about the area and booming growth. I'm going to emial BN today!
Lauren

Old 02-18-2008, 05:56 AM

I grew up in Long Island and lived all over NJ as an adult (including Hoboken, Bergen County and in NYC as well) and we moved to Johnston County without any sort of adjustment at all. Its all relative to the individual.

Some may need an adustment, others may not. Rural doesn't bother me and no matter where I've lived in the past, didn't require an adjustment of any sort...oh maybe getting used to the pure joy of having everything we wanted....that took time to get used to...lol.

Its beautiful here (though this isn't the right time of year to display that). The spring and fall (which are elongated compared to the NE) are just breathtaking! Even after 2 years here, I still am so amazed at what I get to drive past going to/fro.

Lauren

Old 02-18-2008, 07:27 AM

45 posts, read 103,446 times
Thanks everyone. I think anything too rural may be a bit overwhelming for me...hate to admit that! My kids are 4 and 1 1/2...need to make sure there is lots for them to do. I also would need a job. I am very career oriented...a clinical social worker employed as a crisis counselor in a high school right now. My husband would just get a transfer within Merck. Anyway, I am all over the place with this because it is so HUGE to us...so anything you have to add or offer is welcomed!!!!

Old 02-18-2008, 09:10 AM

1,515 posts, read 7,006,270 times
Website for the Town of Clayton if anyone is interested.
Welcome to the Town of Clayton, North Carolina

Old 02-18-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellySR View Post
Thanks everyone. I think anything too rural may be a bit overwhelming for me...hate to admit that! My kids are 4 and 1 1/2...need to make sure there is lots for them to do. I also would need a job. I am very career oriented...a clinical social worker employed as a crisis counselor in a high school right now. My husband would just get a transfer within Merck. Anyway, I am all over the place with this because it is so HUGE to us...so anything you have to add or offer is welcomed!!!!
Hi Kelly,
Just so you know, when I say "rural", I just mean that there is more country/land here. It does NOT mean that there is nothing to do, AT ALL. Each area has lots going on. There are dance studios, gymnastics, kung fu, scouts, and various town activities along with sports. Clayton has things like Tball, soccer and many other things for both adults and kids. Where I live...considered the "Archer Lodge" section of Clayton (Wendell PO in some cases) - there is also a volunteer run community center with Tball and Soccer among other family oriented events, scouts, etc. There's a YMCA as well and tons of parks.

So in my mind, rural just means it might take longer to get where you are going. My dh commutes to RTP and it takes im 45 - 50 minutes....that's just too much for some (but its half our old NJ commute) but for us its fine.

Lauren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary