Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:34 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in perhaps teaching locally and have heard about the lateral entry program in NC. I am not a licensed teacher. I have a 4 year BS degree and a MS in a science/healthcare related field.
Does anyone here have any experience with or direct knowledge about lateral entry in any of the triangle school systems?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 06:21 AM

180 posts, read 662,671 times
I've applied for a few lateral entry jobs but haven't been able to land anything yet. Check out: www.ncpublicschools.com (broken link), there is a lot of information there. I think b/c you have your masters and could probably teach science than you will have a great chance getting a job! Wake County is pretty desperate for teachers! I only have a BA in History and unfortunately there aren't many of those jobs available.

Good luck! It's a tough market out there!

Old 05-28-2008, 11:14 AM

8 posts, read 54,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLamothe View Post
I've applied for a few lateral entry jobs but haven't been able to land anything yet. Check out: www.ncpublicschools.com, there is a lot of information there. I think b/c you have your masters and could probably teach science than you will have a great chance getting a job! Wake County is pretty desperate for teachers! I only have a BA in History and unfortunately there aren't many of those jobs available.

Good luck! It's a tough market out there!
I've talked with a number of Wake County prinicpals and DPI - they do NOT hire lateral entry candidates, they want licensed and certiified with at least 3 years experience. The strongest competition is in the Orange (forget that), Alamance, Wake, Moore, and Chatham counties. The rural counties such as Person, Granville, Vance etc., are desperate. Even more so is Durham County, and Guilford County (Greensboro). They all have job fairs over the summer after they project their needs for the upcoming school year.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:16 AM

584 posts, read 2,423,933 times
I'm still amazed that with the tough competition that starting pay for Wake County teachers is like $30k.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:41 PM

563 posts, read 956,597 times
I went to a lateral entry teaching fair end of 2006. It was packed. So many folks interested in, but the number of teachers they hire as lateral entry was extremely small. They actually recommended that people interested in lateral entry look to the surrounding counties. Check out the Regional Alternative Licensing Center website. They help people determine what they need to take for licensing. Home Page (http://www.ralc.ccs.k12.nc.us/ - broken link)

Old 06-27-2008, 09:04 PM

475 posts, read 1,305,242 times
Look into Granville County. They have several positions open and will hire lateral entry. Being a former lateral entey teacher the only advice I have is go ahead and get enrolled in the lateral entry program. I say this for two reasons 1) it will make you more competitive when applying for a job and 2) you can get started on your coursework ASAP. Best of luck and if you have any questions please let me know. I've been through the whole song and dance.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:50 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatsnip View Post
I've talked with a number of Wake County prinicpals and DPI - they do NOT hire lateral entry candidates, they want licensed and certiified with at least 3 years experience. The strongest competition is in the Orange (forget that), Alamance, Wake, Moore, and Chatham counties. The rural counties such as Person, Granville, Vance etc., are desperate. Even more so is Durham County, and Guilford County (Greensboro). They all have job fairs over the summer after they project their needs for the upcoming school year.
This makes no sense to me. If the school system has a shortage of teachers, why wouldn't they hire lateral entry candidates?

Old 06-29-2008, 10:40 PM

983 posts, read 3,988,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
This makes no sense to me. If the school system has a shortage of teachers, why wouldn't they hire lateral entry candidates?

Because of the NCLB act....and schools are graded on their # of "qualified teachers." Lateral-entry teachers who are still in the certification process are not "qualified teachers"--at least not yet, on paper. So therefore schools want to hire "qualified teachers" from the get-go.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:43 AM

655 posts, read 917,136 times
They hire Spanish teachers all the time who are not certified. Of course you need to have the Spanish certification, but not the other. I even here for many Spanish teaching positions, an AA will do, but have not confirmed that. I guess they got tired of hiring teachers who might be certified and even have a Masters degree, but don't speak a word of Spanish.

There are a few other positions that will hire Lateral teachers, but you'll have to check into that.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:54 PM

32 posts, read 246,699 times
Default Spanish teachers

The systems hire a lot of native Spanish and and native Spanish-speaking ESL teachers who are not highly qualified per se, but come via the VIF (Visiting International Faculty) program. It started off as a nice idea, but it is often abused by districts and administrators because the VIF teachers each come with a $4000 check for the employing school or agency. (I am not sure if I am 100% right on how much the check is, but it was big enough to be attractive.) I think that is why the schools don't mind hiring them. If they keep the number of other less-than-qualified teachers down, then it doesn't hurt the NCLB numbers too much, and the school gets a little financial bonus.

BUT REMEMBER THIS, you can be considered highly qualified in terms of NCLB if you pass the PRAXIS exam for your subject area. If you have the PRAXIS ot of the way, then the NCLB penalty for hiring you becomes moot. Do the PRAXIS if you can, and you will have an easier time of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary