Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 06:20 PM

186 posts, read 662,188 times

Advertisements

The science teacher on my team was hired lateral entry. She was doing her coursework at Meredith when a position came open. This was several years ago. I BELIEVE that you can sub without a certificate (please correct me if I'm wrong.) You might want to apply to sub (it takes several months to get processed) and then you will make contacts at local schools. You will be in high demand as a local. Check out NC teach. I think someone on trianglemommies recently posted about getting accepted into a lateral entry program. I'm so thrilled you're considering teaching. You'd be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 09:29 AM

107 posts, read 481,865 times
Why does mycatsnip say "forget that" about lateral entry in Orange County? I'm considering applying for a job in Orange Co. and am not certified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatsnip View Post
I've talked with a number of Wake County prinicpals and DPI - they do NOT hire lateral entry candidates, they want licensed and certiified with at least 3 years experience. The strongest competition is in the Orange (forget that), Alamance, Wake, Moore, and Chatham counties. The rural counties such as Person, Granville, Vance etc., are desperate. Even more so is Durham County, and Guilford County (Greensboro). They all have job fairs over the summer after they project their needs for the upcoming school year.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:51 AM

63 posts, read 146,121 times
You might also consider private schools. I'm not sure how things are here, but where I used to live many private/independent schools didn't require teachers to have their teaching certification if they were otherwise qualified. Some schools will even pay for their teachers to take classes and work towards their certification while they are teaching.

Good luck! Good science teachers are always in demand.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:00 PM

33 posts, read 129,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMEW View Post
Why does mycatsnip say "forget that" about lateral entry in Orange County? I'm considering applying for a job in Orange Co. and am not certified.
I was told earlier this week that Orange County Schools has a freeze on hiring lateral entry teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatsnip View Post
I've talked with a number of Wake County prinicpals and DPI - they do NOT hire lateral entry candidates, they want licensed and certiified with at least 3 years experience.
That apparently is not true now. I attended the Wake County Lateral Entry Fair this past Monday, and here is the list of critical needs areas with the most-needed at the top.
Special Education (huge need)
Math
Science
Foreign Language
ESL
Health Occupations
Business
Arts
Vocational (Family & Consumer Sciences, Trades)
They also gave us the number of lateral entry hires in various areas for 2008 & 2009.

Feel free to send me a direct message if you'd like any more information I received about lateral entry. Good luck to anyone who's trying it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary