Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,222 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was recently laid off from a job I absolutely hated and its made me think that I no longer want to spend my life doing something meaningless! I come from a family of teachers and most people assumed I would teach but the earnings potential made me go another route. However, after my last job, I'm much more concerned about liking life than the money.

I've seen posts about lateral entry certification on here that are a few years old at this point, and I've done a ton of research on the subject. Assuming I take the necessary tests, does anyone have any recent first hand experience in finding a job in Wake County going the lateral entry route?

Of course fully licensed would be preferable but is there any hope of getting to employment with just the tests and a software sales background on my resume? My bachelors is in marketing.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 12:17 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rephillips80 View Post
Hello,

I was recently laid off from a job I absolutely hated and its made me think that I no longer want to spend my life doing something meaningless! I come from a family of teachers and most people assumed I would teach but the earnings potential made me go another route. However, after my last job, I'm much more concerned about liking life than the money.

I've seen posts about lateral entry certification on here that are a few years old at this point, and I've done a ton of research on the subject. Assuming I take the necessary tests, does anyone have any recent first hand experience in finding a job in Wake County going the lateral entry route?

Of course fully licensed would be preferable but is there any hope of getting to employment with just the tests and a software sales background on my resume? My bachelors is in marketing.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Seems like it would be a challenge without a degree in a subject area that is actually in demand.

Suggestion: enroll in a teacher Ed program. You could do lateral easier if you had a some basic coursework under your belt.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:42 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
This is not the best state for a teaching career.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:09 PM

41 posts, read 91,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
This is not the best state for a teaching career.
I've been researching NC, and more specifically the Triangle, since I have a career opportunity that could bring my family to the area. Being married to a teacher, we're unfortunately reaching the same conclusion based on our research. Neither one of us was honestly expecting this to be the case. Color us very surprised and somewhat disheartened.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:35 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3worker View Post
I've been researching NC, and more specifically the Triangle, since I have a career opportunity that could bring my family to the area. Being married to a teacher, we're unfortunately reaching the same conclusion based on our research. Neither one of us was honestly expecting this to be the case. Color us very surprised and somewhat disheartened.
State employees, as all NC teachers are, have a terrible work environment here thanks to our horrible legislature.

Possibly could change after next elections, but don't hold your breath.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:42 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
State employees, as all NC teachers are, have a terrible work environment here thanks to our horrible legislature.

Possibly could change after next elections, but don't hold your breath.
I'm not a big fan of the current administration, but things were bad before the Republicans took over. I worked for the state for four years under the Democrats and never got a raise.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:24 PM

75 posts, read 64,949 times
I pursued lateral entry in Charlotte through a program called Teach Charlotte, designed to get "non-traditional" teachers into the system for primarily challenged schools - areas in demand included math, science, ESL, and special ed. Maybe there is a similar program here in Wake County - Teach America (i think it is called) is I believe a similar program on a national basis.

Needless to say, I was disillusioned with the process - urban school districts are MORE than a challenge. You may want to consider charter/private schools, which a retired principal suggested to me.

My best to you in your endeavor

Old 06-17-2015, 05:23 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Lateral entry is more for certain areas where they can't find enough certified teachers via the usual route. What field are you in? If it's a "STEM" subject, there could well be a chance. Otherwise, unlikely.

Also, Wake is one of the most "desirable" counties for teachers, so you might look into another nearby county that not so "hot", which could have more of a need for a desired subject area. I know someone in Wayne county (Goldsboro) who left Wake for there and likes that system better (he's a math teacher so probably could have gone anywhere) though he did have to move after commuting for a year <!>

Old 06-17-2015, 06:02 PM

396 posts, read 409,808 times
Just to reiterate what was said above: rethink this.

I am a high school teacher and I can tell you that I love my subject and the actual practice of teaching, but that is sadly a very very small part of what I actually do. The job is, in a word, awful, at least in the current cultural and political environment. Lots of people around here seem to like bringing up the argument, "Well, it's not a teacher weighing in on the subject." Take it from a teacher: look into any of the other countless career paths that are actually respected and rewarded.

Beyond this, be prepared for a slog to find a job. Wake County is not easy to get into without connections, especially in a CTE field. As someone said above, you would almost be better served in one of the many counties surrounding Wake.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:22 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
Just to reiterate what was said above: rethink this.

I am a high school teacher and I can tell you that I love my subject and the actual practice of teaching, but that is sadly a very very small part of what I actually do. The job is, in a word, awful, at least in the current cultural and political environment. Lots of people around here seem to like bringing up the argument, "Well, it's not a teacher weighing in on the subject." Take it from a teacher: look into any of the other countless career paths that are actually respected and rewarded.

Beyond this, be prepared for a slog to find a job. Wake County is not easy to get into without connections, especially in a CTE field. As someone said above, you would almost be better served in one of the many counties surrounding Wake.
^^^^^^^^^

This. I LOVED teaching, loved the kids, but that was only a fraction of what I did. When I started teaching (in another state) I loved it. Then it slowly went from actually teaching to testing, numbers, no child left behind, and here it is even more about testing, paperwork, data.

Special ed in Wake does do lateral entry, but honestly, I came from a tough district with experience and found the teaching expectations and conditions here gruesome. I can't imagine going into that with no teacher training or experience.

We had a new hire TA who took the TA position until a real teaching position opened up. THE AP kept trying to talk her into going into special ed instead. She spent time in my resource room, saw what I was expected to do, and said, "NO WAY!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary