Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 11:08 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
I didn't know fish that big existed.

I think Hubby is playin with you . Using the little shells as reference it looks like a pretty smallish fish. Not sure what kind though.

MA, I'll be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 05:33 AM

403 posts, read 935,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
I think Hubby is playin with you . Using the little shells as reference it looks like a pretty smallish fish. Not sure what kind though.
That's what I thought at first! You don't stumble across anything like that walking along the New Jersey beaches.

He also saw manatees and dolphins during that same walk! He was at Stump Pass. Pretty amazing.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:11 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
That's what I thought at first! You don't stumble across anything like that walking along the New Jersey beaches.

He also saw manatees and dolphins during that same walk! He was at Stump Pass. Pretty amazing.
That fish could have washed up for any number of reasons, but last year there was a red tide (naturally occurring) algae bloom that hung relatively close to the shore last fall, and it killed a bunch of fish that washed up on the beach. It usually occurs further off shore and you don't see the fish kills. They had warnings about it. Its nothing to worry about, and it had nothing to do with the oil spill.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:17 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
If any of you want a project skiff, our friend who recently lost her husband is trying to sell a little 12' skiff. Don't recognize the brand but the outboard is a 2001 Dahatsu 25hp. The hull is wide open, with tiller steering. He used it for crabbing but it could be a great bait boat or even have a steering station installed for a canal cruiser. The boat has title and comes with a trailer. She's looking for $1500 obo. We did pretty good with her yard sale. Harbor Hopper stopped by and bought 2 rods at a bargain. We sold enough stuff to help her pay her rent for 2 months.

DM me if interested in the boat.

Last edited by Messing About; 04-29-2012 at 07:34 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 08:00 PM

I assume you mean Tohatsu 25hp. They make great outboards, in fact they make most Nissan and Mercury small outboards...I have an 8hp Tohatsu myself. Sounds like a good deal. I hit a few yard sales Fri in the area you said, only found one with fishing stuff off PC blvd. I should have asked you for the street name beforehand.

Finally got the boat back in the water today, hoping to have some reports later in the week.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:42 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
Yes, that's right HR, Tohatsu. Thanks. Yeah, I thought the motor alone might be worth close to that.
It would make a great kicker motor for single engine boats that venture far off shore.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:34 PM

207 posts, read 243,983 times
I had a 25 Tohatsu on a 16 Carolina Skiff, bullet proof. Sold it to a buddy down here in 2004, still going strong. I bought it in '93!

Was looking at Yamaha, but was watching a nature channell about some tribe deep in the Amazon.....all their skiffs had Tohatsus on them, that was enough advertisement for me.

I guess they're as good now as they were then?

Old 04-30-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:

Finally got the boat back in the water today, hoping to have some reports later in the week.

Sold the boat today, so no reports from me this week .

Hated to see it go, but a $3k profit in less than 2 months was too much to turn down .

My first plan of action is to get a boat lift, then I'll start looking for another boat. If anyone knows of someone selling a lift let me know. I'm keeping my eye on craigslist for a good deal....

Old 04-30-2012, 05:17 PM

Never mind...found a lift and having it delivered tomorrow...now I need those pilings....and some underground Romex ran...might as well run water pipes while I'm at it...going to be a busy week!

Old 05-01-2012, 05:30 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
Quote:
Never mind...found a lift and having it delivered tomorrow...now I need those pilings....and some underground Romex ran...might as well run water pipes while I'm at it...going to be a busy week!
You don't/can't use underground romex for the lift. It has to be #10 stranded (if 220v) ran through electrical PVC on a dedicated GFCI circuit (that means an expensive GFCI dual-breaker at the electrical panel). I wouldn't even run Romex for a 110v dock outlet. I would run that circuit in the same gray PVC as the lift circuit in #12 stranded. This gives you underground protection.
For water, I would recommend 3/4" CPVC, or just PVC if you're just using the water for non-potable purposes at the dock (like 99% of us).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte