Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 06:09 PM

700 posts, read 1,817,874 times

Advertisements

Finally have a boat to go out on the harbor. The other half and I are planning on doing some fishin' and all I hear about are the flats areas. Are there any places we can go drop a line and get a hook up or two? We're about 2' draft (as long as it's not an oyster bar!) and don't have the range right now to go offshore.
If you don't want your secret spot published, a DM is most appreciated!
Tight lines y'all!
Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times
There are three deep holes in the harbor (18-20'), the closest one is only a couple miles from your canal. Any chart of the harbor will show them. They are good fun just drifting through them with any type of bait on the bottom. Easy fishing when there is a lot of people on the boat or non-fisherman types. Many different types of sometimes big fish but no reds/snook.

Marker #2 is another known spot even closer, sometimes schooling fish will hang out there (macks, trout etc). Even closer than that is where the canals cross near the beach complex. Lots of different "good" fish can be caught there but it's hit or miss. My best fish have been from in the canals themselves.

I wish I had some "secret" spots but I'm still learning the area myself.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:43 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
There is a concrete reef just below alligator alley. There are two concrete sets of posts a mile apart. If you fish near the post you are fishing over the concrete reef. The reef never was completed so the middle of the mile long stretch is barren but can be productive at times.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:54 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,784,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
There is a concrete reef just below alligator alley. There are two concrete sets of posts a mile apart. If you fish near the post you are fishing over the concrete reef. The reef never was completed so the middle of the mile long stretch is barren but can be productive at times.
good info I tried the middle once with no luck is there rubble at both ends?

Old 03-07-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
good info I tried the middle once with no luck is there rubble at both ends?
Yes there is.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:12 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,784,482 times
thanks they shound dump the 3 edgewater bridges there when / if they they take them down this summer

Old 03-07-2013, 03:47 PM

535 posts, read 1,031,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
thanks they shound dump the 3 edgewater bridges there when / if they they take them down this summer
I would love that I don't think it's deep enough though

Old 03-07-2013, 04:52 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock creek View Post
I would love that I don't think it's deep enough though
Dump them in the 20' holes then

I didn't have much luck on the two reefs over there but I didn't give them much of a chance. There are other places much closer that I normally hit. Frog, if you don't already have a waterproof chart pick one up at Fishin Franks and he'll point you to some good areas on it....half the fun is looking at it and deciding where you think fish will be. Anywhere with unusual ground or slopes/drop-offs should hold fish at some point. When you find a good spot mark it on your GPS.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:07 PM

700 posts, read 1,817,874 times
Thanks all! Do have the charts and have been lurking over them. FF's mostly mention the shallows. Guess it's just who you catch there. I'll spend some time with the reco's and give 'em a try in the next few days. Many thanks!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2013, 05:09 PM

With a 2 ft draft you can still fish the beginning if the grass flats. My boat is 18 inch draft and I fish the edge down from alligator to pirates harbor. Good area for trout and small flounder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte