Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 04:30 PM

14 posts, read 30,122 times

Advertisements

I am sure you all know, but the Tarpon are thick at Boca- rolling all over the place, but didn't see anyone hooked up at all. Everyone chases these rolling fish----very few of these will bite, you gotta get to the ones that are not rolling. I am not a big fan of fishing the pass----too much pressure on the fish and also on me to keep my boat safe.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 02:52 AM

207 posts, read 243,983 times
Probably better off getting away from the pass and just cruise the beach.
I see other a lot of boats and always go the other way. Rather catch less
and be by myself. Had my share of tarpon anyway down in the Keys. I
will concentrate on reds, snook and trout......pompano great eating as
is whiting (called them kingfish up north).

Old 05-08-2012, 01:12 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
I took my fishing skills on the road to the Indian River section of the Atlantic ICW. There were 4 of us on two flats boats. We launched at 3AM and worked the bridges for snook but had no hits. Before sunrise we hit the flats around the Hutchinson Island Nuke plant and each caught about a dozen speckled sea trout, including 5 keepers between us. By 930 AM we were off the water and I went to work (after a shower of course). We will get back together tonight for a fresh fish dinner.

The two boat Captains are professional guides and I learned some new in-shore techniques. I will take those skills back Charlotte Harbor this weekend.

Below is a photo showing where I fished...just a bit east of Charlotte Harbor, as captured by my SPOT satellite locator.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-atlantic-icw-large-medium-.bmp  

Old 05-10-2012, 05:07 AM

Caught my first fish yesterday off the dock, a fluke (summer flounder)..hit a bucktail.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:35 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt George View Post
Caught my first fish yesterday off the dock, a fluke (summer flounder)..hit a bucktail.
Sweet! I don't remember my first fish - it was probably a catfish - but I remember my first big grouper!! I brought it home, showed my wife, and let it go for good luck!

Old 05-10-2012, 03:47 PM

5,172 posts, read 4,945,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt George View Post
Congrats! Was that your first dinner too?

Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 PM

Subaru Jim and I fished the Myakka River today from marker 9 to the El Jobean bridge from 1PM to 9PM.
We caught lots of sugar trout, lots of Spanish mackerel, lots of small jacks, a few undersized speckled trout, a few junk cats, lizards and a toadfish.

Wind was high but tolerable to be anchored down. Myakka cutoff was bare of any fish. Water in there is completely clear and there is a too much string algae to make it worth putting up with. After dark, winds slowed considerably. There had to be a dozen people fishing the El Jobean piers when we left at 9PM.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:13 AM

no dinner, through him back, did catch a nice trout this AM off the dock and a school of big jacks moved through. Had a school of snook under my dock lights last night...Had a couple of grabs but they're tough under the lights. Really strong current here, going to need some sash weights to wire into the traps..Anybody know where to get some??

Nice info on the Myakka, was looking forward to investigating the cutoff.....boat still in Bokeelia, I will get her this weekend, just too much to do moving in here......Nothing to do on the house, just unpacking and packing, whew! Glad to be here... George

Old 05-11-2012, 06:40 PM

Thinking about launching tomorrow...anyone else going fishing?

Old 05-11-2012, 10:38 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,543 times
My buddy picked me up at my dock today on his pontoon at about afternoon:30. We hit the north hole and did a single 3 hour drift. Life was everywhere; rays were all over (mating?), lot's of dolphin, tarpon rolling in the distance, a huge jumper that looked like an 80lb jack(?), a big sea turtle surfaced next to us, and what looked like a friggen big azz sea lion....we are still scratching our head on that one.

Anyway, we just got done eating a couple nice sailcats and bonnetheads from the grill.

We bled and gutted the sharks as we caught them...the blood and guts were enough to bring in other sharks. While washing my hands in the water after the first gut job a small black tip came up to see what the commotion was....came right up to me. That "close call" was nothing....the second gut job brought in a much bigger shark, thankfully right after washing my hands in the water. It was at least an 8ft hammerhead...the water was pretty clear and it was a very cool sight. One day soon we are going to go out and actually chum for big sharks...can't wait to see what that brings in!

Last edited by HarborRat; 05-11-2012 at 10:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte