Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 09:24 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,543 times

Advertisements

Thanks HH, sounds like you know what you are talking about. I was planning on running 8/3 underground (125ft) to the dock where I would install a 30amp sub panel, then feed the lift and dock outlets off that panel. Are you saying the lift wiring must be a separate run of wire? Will #10 stranded be enough for that 125ft run? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 10:15 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Thanks HH, sounds like you know what you are talking about. I was planning on running 8/3 underground (125ft) to the dock where I would install a 30amp sub panel, then feed the lift and dock outlets off that panel. Are you saying the lift wiring must be a separate run of wire? Will #10 stranded be enough for that 125ft run? Thanks!
I don't know everything (I actually hired my lift wiring out, since it had to have a permit). I was an electrician for 3 yrs after high school, before moving on to bigger & better things. For the past 10 years, I've worked for a company that make electricians tools.
My electrician installed a 50A subpanel outside my house, and ran the pipe & circuits out from there. My lift motors are wired 220, so I had to have a circuit for that, and a seperate circuit for the 110 receps, and both circuits on seperate GFCI breakers in the sub-panel. Regarding wiring size, that is determined by the load of your motors and distance of the run. You'll have to check with national electric code for that. Remember, bigger is always better (safer) than saving a few bucks to go with smaller wire, which can overheat and start a fire.
Also, make sure the gray pvc that goes underwater (to the outside motor)is glued sufficiently and let it dry for a good day before putting it underwater. You don't want this to leak! Good luck!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:25 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,543 times
Thanks HH. If you don't mind me asking do you remember about what the electrician charged? Doing it myself I have figured it to be about $500. That is IF I can dig the trench without renting a ditch witch. I may be better off paying someone.

I got a few estimates for the pilings...wow. Then of course $400 in permits for just driving the pilings that may take 2 months to be approved.

I was planning on building a boat house cover over the lift with 2x's. I was hoping to wire the outside motor through the rafters instead of underwater, if code allows that.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Thanks HH. If you don't mind me asking do you remember about what the electrician charged? Doing it myself I have figured it to be about $500. That is IF I can dig the trench without renting a ditch witch. I may be better off paying someone.

I got a few estimates for the pilings...wow. Then of course $400 in permits for just driving the pilings that may take 2 months to be approved.

I was planning on building a boat house cover over the lift with 2x's. I was hoping to wire the outside motor through the rafters instead of underwater, if code allows that.
I think it was just under $1,400 for everything, including permit. The permit should only take a week or so.
I saved about $200 by digging the trench myself. The soil is so sandy here, that a 90yr old can dig it
You will definitely need a permit for the permanent roof structure. They have to be able to withstand high winds.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:33 PM

535 posts, read 1,031,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
I think it was just under $1,400 for everything, including permit. The permit should only take a week or so.
I saved about $200 by digging the trench myself. The soil is so sandy here, that a 90yr old can dig it
You will definitely need a permit for the permanent roof structure. They have to be able to withstand high winds.
Do you need a permit for the Bimini style?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:27 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
We had our boat lift cover put on by Waterway Boatlift Covers from PG.
They did a great job and their contract states they are responsible for any permits, if needed.
We love the work they did. They have products of their work EVERYWHERE in PC.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock creek View Post
Do you need a permit for the Bimini style?
No, those are not considered a "permanent" structure, so last I knew, no permit was required (but I'm sure that will eventually change, knowing this county).
As MA stated, Waterway is big around here. I had them quote one for me. Started at $4,800, and eventually they went down to $3,900, but I still felt it was too high. A common size around here will run around $2,000-2,500.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 AM

463 posts, read 866,857 times
A little action from yesterday.I had to get it off the bottom for her.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-bent-pole.jpg   Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-jennifer-ray.jpg  

Old 05-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcozad1 View Post
Nice ray Pat! Looks like the wreck in front of Bull Bay.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:43 PM

499 posts, read 580,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcozad1 View Post
Great pictures but am a little confused What was it the lady caught, didn't look like a fish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte