Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 04:21 PM

5,173 posts, read 4,945,353 times

Advertisements

Since buying here last summer, the only fishing I've done is off of my seawall (no practical boat yet, but that'll change). Yesterday, my neighbor caught a nice keeper redfish and gave it to me to try (haven't had redfish yet). While cleaning it today, I found three artificial lures in it's stomach; two plastic shrimp and one plastic minnow along with a real crab. Talk about bad luck; poor guy probably had a heck of a belly ache and then gets caught at that!
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-fish-belly-contents.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 04:27 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Since buying here last summer, the only fishing I've done is off of my seawall (no practical boat yet, but that'll change). Yesterday, my neighbor caught a nice keeper redfish and gave it to me to try (haven't had redfish yet). While cleaning it today, I found three artificial lures in it's stomach; two plastic shrimp and one plastic minnow along with a real crab. Talk about bad luck; poor guy probably had a heck of a belly ache and then gets caught at that!
Dude was hungry! Looks like some DOA's, gulp and maybe a part of a finn-s?

Old 05-11-2013, 06:17 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
Fished the Atlantic, out of Boynton Beach inlet on Thursday...one small dolphin, one small snook. Fished the Gulf today, out of Gasparilla Pass. We caught lots of red grouper, 4 keepers on our boat (20-27") and 6 on a second boat in our group. We got them in 70-80' of water on cut bait. Current was really swift. Took 6 ounce sinkers to hit bottom while drifting. Was able to use 2 oz while anchored. Morning seas were 1', afternoon 3' with white caps.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:05 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,584 times
This afternOon shile wiring guages for my new motor sitting on the lift i heard a comosion in the water. Looked like a school of macks. CHasing bait splashing along as the went up the canal Are macks in the harbor?

Last edited by MikeM8560; 05-11-2013 at 07:35 PM..

Old 05-11-2013, 07:49 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Celebrated catching my first shark in the morning by catching my second in the afternoon. 30" bonnethead at marker 2 on a piece of shrimp, 4 ft lemon drifting the middle hole on a pinfish on the bottom. Not a very impressive fight, but very strong, and the toughest fish I've ever caught - literally charged the boat and tried to bite it.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:38 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
Good job, WPC. Bonnet heads are very good tasting meat, among the best of the sharks. A really big one is only 40". If harvesting, either gut them or bleed them out within 30 minutes of death and keep on ice until ready to prepare. Very easy prep, too. Cut off head, tail and fins; then cut into small steaks and grill with simple spices for 5 minutes per side at 350-400. After grilling, the skin comes right off. Excellent white meat.

Tip: don't hold them by the tail only, cuz they can still bite you there. Control them by firmly gripping behind their head with one hand and on the tail with your other. I usually just leave the hook and cut my leader, dropping them in a fish hold until they die.

Did you get out to deep water yet?

Old 05-12-2013, 05:37 AM

463 posts, read 866,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Good job, WPC. Bonnet heads are very good tasting meat, among the best of the sharks. A really big one is only 40". If harvesting, either gut them or bleed them out within 30 minutes of death and keep on ice until ready to prepare. Very easy prep, too. Cut off head, tail and fins; then cut into small steaks and grill with simple spices for 5 minutes per side at 350-400. After grilling, the skin comes right off. Excellent white meat.

Tip: don't hold them by the tail only, cuz they can still bite you there. Control them by firmly gripping behind their head with one hand and on the tail with your other. I usually just leave the hook and cut my leader, dropping them in a fish hold until they die.

If you crimp the barbs down on the hook they come right out and you won't lose sharks they will stay hooked.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:40 AM

463 posts, read 866,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
This afternOon shile wiring guages for my new motor sitting on the lift i heard a comosion in the water. Looked like a school of macks. CHasing bait splashing along as the went up the canal Are macks in the harbor?
We caught mackerel the other day all over the harbor. Are you sure they werent jack cravel? When you see that have a rod ready to throw. when they are active like that they will hit anything.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:06 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post

Thanks, MA. I started crimping all my barbs down right after I got here and started using circle hooks - they're a pain to get out otherwise, and I have yet to have a fish spit the hook. First thing I do now when I get a new box of hooks is crimp the barbs; don't forget sabiki rigs - threadfins die easy enough as it is, struggling to get them off the hook just stresses them more.

I thought about keeping the bonnethead, but the neighbors and I just ate cobia for a week - I'm on a red meat diet for now. He was easy enough to handle by the back of the head, but I didn't even consider bringing the lemon in the boat - he was looking to bite something, and it wasn't going to be me. Haven't been out to deep water yet.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:43 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcozad1 View Post
We caught mackerel the other day all over the harbor. Are you sure they werent jack cravel? When you see that have a rod ready to throw. when they are active like that they will hit anything.
I didn't see what they were just saw the baitfish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte