Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 03:48 PM
DSO DSO started this thread

57 posts, read 76,500 times

Advertisements

I am a conservative, and am seeking an understanding of how liberals view the future of this country in light of the debt being incurred by the country's current direction. Specifically, I'm looking for your ideas on things like:

1.) what are we going to do about the debt / what happens when the percieved cash cow of the rich people's money runs out?

2.) how do entitlements help people? I am of the opinion that entitlements enslave a person to dependency - I have seen this and lived it first hand. Do you have any experiences where this was a positive thing that helped a person become all they could be? I'm referring to able bodied people here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 03:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Do you still beat your wife? In other words, faulty premise.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:01 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSO View Post
I am a conservative, and am seeking an understanding of how liberals view the future of this country in light of the debt being incurred by the country's current direction. Specifically, I'm looking for your ideas on things like:

1.) what are we going to do about the debt / what happens when the percieved cash cow of the rich people's money runs out?

2.) how do entitlements help people? I am of the opinion that entitlements enslave a person to dependency - I have seen this and lived it first hand. Do you have any experiences where this was a positive thing that helped a person become all they could be? I'm referring to able bodied people here.

I am independent and I'd like to know why conservatives keep voting for people who pushed the country in its current direction.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:02 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Do you still beat your wife? In other words, faulty premise.
Wow, what an intelligent response to his questions.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:06 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
2.) how do entitlements help people? I am of the opinion that entitlements enslave a person to dependency - I have seen this and lived it first hand.
Yes, it was much better when we didn't have Social Security or Medicare and senior citizens starved or went without health care. Ah, the good old days.

As for the debt, it costs money to run a civilized country. Are rich people about to run out of money? If so, that's news to me. Besides, Reagan and Bush didn't worry about the debt, so why should liberals?

Old 04-18-2010, 04:07 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
What makes you think being 'liberal' means agreeing with current economic policy?

What kind of proof are you looking for? Lacking the social safety nets that we have today, like unemployment security and TANF, 7 million people starved to death in the great depression and millions more literally worked themselves to death. Is that the kind of proof you want?

Last edited by kodaka; 04-18-2010 at 04:17 PM..

Old 04-18-2010, 04:14 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:

1. I don't think anyone from either side is going to argue the type of deficits we have had the last couple years are sustainable. However, in order to stop the economy from completely falling off the cliff some rather extreme measures needed to be taken. We should and will go back to the Clinton level taxes on the portions of income in excess of $250,000, this will help reduce the deficit somewhat, and the overall taxes even for the rich will still be lower than it was then.

2. What entitlements specifically are you referring to?

Old 04-18-2010, 04:17 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am independent and I'd like to know why conservatives keep voting for people who pushed the country in its current direction.
I assume you are referring to the "damage" caused by George W Bush.

Well I voted for George W Bush both in 2000 and again in 2004 because of his natural character, trustworthiness, and his conservative economic and domestic policies.

In fact if we could eliminate the 2001 terrorist attacks and the subsequent wars associated with them, our debt load would be far better off than it is today and Bush would have been able to follow through more with his campaign agenda. Wars will drive up debt no matter how you slice it. That is the result of maintaining freedom. I fully support the wars under George W Bush, even if the poor intelligence fouled a few things up. We still have Saddam out of power and have yet to see another attack on this country from abroad.

All things considered, I really miss George W Bushes fatherly-style leadership of this country. Despite his faults, leaders from around the world respected the man, even if a few hated him. This cannot be said about Obama. Most countries now view the US as a push over country that appears strategically indecisive. Obama's apology tours are undermining the credibility of our country and what we stand for, putting everyone at risk, even other countries that rely on our military defense.

Last edited by ryanst530; 04-18-2010 at 04:26 PM..

Old 04-18-2010, 04:18 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
All things considered, I really miss George W Bushes fatherly-style leadership of this country. Despite his faults, leaders from around the world respected the man,
They did?

Quote:
This cannot be said about Obama. Most countries now view the US as a push over country
They do?

Old 04-18-2010, 04:19 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
Wars will drive up debt no matter how you slice it.
Actually war is generally good for business. It puts people to work. Except under Bush, of course.

Quote:
Despite his faults, leaders from around the world respected the man, even if a few hated him. This cannot be said about Obama. Most countries now view the US as a push over country that appears strategically indecisive.
Obama's change in direction from his predecessor is no more 'indecisive' than Bush's were compared to his predecessor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies