Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:25 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,522,041 times

Advertisements

correct, we might quit borrowing and spending
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 09:38 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,465,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSO View Post
2.) how do entitlements help people? I am of the opinion that entitlements enslave a person to dependency - I have seen this and lived it first hand. Do you have any experiences where this was a positive thing that helped a person become all they could be? I'm referring to able bodied people here.
I'll bite on this one.

Perhaps you haven't notices that millions of people - liberal AND conservative - who have lost their jobs, ended up in foreclosure, gone bankrupt, etc. have benefitted from the safety net of unemployment insurance while they try to get themselves back on their feet. During the Great Depression, there were government bread lines and government work programs to help people survive.

Do you think that all of these Americans and their families should just have been left to starve in the interim period?

Old 04-18-2010, 09:46 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,150,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yes, it was much better when we didn't have Social Security or Medicare and senior citizens starved or went without health care. Ah, the good old days.

As for the debt, it costs money to run a civilized country. Are rich people about to run out of money? If so, that's news to me. Besides, Reagan and Bush didn't worry about the debt, so why should liberals?
This response borders on ludicrous. Since when are Social Security and Medicare considered entitlements that are "enslaving?" Senior citizens, who paid into the system by the way, are reaping the benefits of a lifetime of work. Medicare serves the same purpose. I'm pretty sure the OP meant entitlements such as welfare, public housing assistance, etc., which truly do serve to enslave by not offering an incentive to get off either program, and of which recipients don't pay into the system.

And then you come forth with the same old tired response of "Reagan and Bush did it, so Obama can too." Two wrongs truly do make a right in Liberal Land don't they?

You don't even realize it, but your response actually perpetuates liberal ideology to a tee: "Free love for all. Because we can, no matter the cost."

Old 04-18-2010, 09:50 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,246,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Besides, Reagan and Bush didn't worry about the debt, so why should liberals?
This is the economic future of the country we're talking about here; the country that everyone's children and grandchildren will someday inherit. Just because Reagan and Bush were fiscally irresponsible, doesn't mean it's okay for the Democrats to rack up our national debt to a percentage of GNP greater than Greece has.

Time to elect a Libertarian President, since both mainstream parties have proven themselves totally irresponsible, time and time again.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:00 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,307,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
You obviously don't know what hell your talking about. V.A.T. stands for Value Added Tax. This simply means taxing the value of an item when it move along the supply chain. For example, IF you buy a piece of wood for $1 and turn into an ax handle and then sell it to an ax maker, you are taxed on the value added, not the cost of the wood. The ax maker and retailer would be affected in the same way.

IT'S NOT A SALES TAX!!!!!!
The VAT is nothing but a sales tax and it passes from each set of hands to the next and finally the consumer ends up paying the whole damned thing, whether he can afford it or not. I really don't think you have any idea what you are talking about when you say what you just said.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:05 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,265,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The VAT is nothing but a sales tax and it passes from each set of hands to the next and finally the consumer ends up paying the whole damned thing, whether he can afford it or not. I really don't think you have any idea what you are talking about when you say what you just said.
It's not a sales tax.

Difference between Value Added Tax (VAT) and Sales Tax

Old 04-18-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
For the sake of my grandchildren, I desperately hope things go this way. My problem is the way this administration is keeping their promises - - to say no tax increases on those earning less than 250K, then create a scheme to increase or impose new taxes on everything else seems disingenuous, if not dishonest. This is most certainly going to be a huge tax increase on everyone, even those not currently paying income taxes.
Now you have said the very things that libs need to look at. They are convinced that tax credits most of us got this year are lowered taxes and they are anything but that. The huge tax increase has to come into existence since the Obamacare law will throw at least 14 new taxes at us. That will amount to that many raises of taxes although he keeps telling THEM that the income tax will not go up. THEY just won't look at the facts as they are presented.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:19 PM

46 posts, read 40,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I'll bite on this one.

Perhaps you haven't notices that millions of people - liberal AND conservative - who have lost their jobs, ended up in foreclosure, gone bankrupt, etc. have benefitted from the safety net of unemployment insurance while they try to get themselves back on their feet. During the Great Depression, there were government bread lines and government work programs to help people survive.

Do you think that all of these Americans and their families should just have been left to starve in the interim period?
I think the govenment shouldn't have CREATED these problems in the first place. The record is clear for anyone wishing to consult it.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It is a tax on every level of production that ends up being paid totally by the consumer. Now once you have a VAT governments will continue to raise the amounts until the consumers are forced to just stop buying. With sales taxes there is complete transparency because I can carry a card around to allow me to figure what the amount will be. With the VAT the price just keeps going up from hand to hand until the consumer, the final buyer, gets to pay the accumulated amount. This tax is nearly as unfair as the hidden taxes that will result from the 14 or more taxes that will be charged under the new healthcare system.

Why can't they just come to our house and take all the money we make until they manage to pay off the debt instead of charging these ridiculous taxes and telling us that they are helping us pay off the debt?

Old 04-18-2010, 10:30 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,410,739 times
Quote:
I am a conservative, and am seeking an understanding of how liberals view the future of this country in light of the debt being incurred by the country's current direction. Specifically, I'm looking for your ideas on things like:

1.) what are we going to do about the debt / what happens when the percieved cash cow of the rich people's money runs out?

2.) how do entitlements help people? I am of the opinion that entitlements enslave a person to dependency - I have seen this and lived it first hand. Do you have any experiences where this was a positive thing that helped a person become all they could be? I'm referring to able bodied people here.

So far a lot of pointing fingers back and forth. I'd like to add the questions to liberal progressive left leaning Democrats or other party that leans left these...

3 ) What is the future you envision for America, and how are your policies going to make it happen?

4 ) Do you ever consider or are willing to admit that government sometimes doesn't work as intended? Are you willing to scrap a program (that your party started) when it goes too over budget or to broad in expanding?

5 ) why do your policies often create a lot of rules, bans and regulation to the everyday citizen?

6 ) if helping the poor is the goal, how are your policies/program going to make sure someone is lifted out of poverty and no longer needs your program?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies