Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:41 PM

72 posts, read 175,982 times

Advertisements

Liberals are :
-pro illegal immigrant-sancturary cities are all liberal
-pro union
-pro low wage workers(want to raise min wages)
-pro immigration.
Isn't there an obvious conflict here. Immigrants increase the job pool of applicants and lower wages, especially when they are illegal, but more workers decrease wages but liberals want to increase them

I guess that explains why liberals are also pro welfare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 07:47 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natthebattherat View Post
Liberals are :
-pro union
-pro immigration.
Isn't there an obvious conflict here. Immigrants increase the job pool of applicants and lower wages, especially when they are illegal, but more workers decrease wages but liberals want to increase them

I am not pro none of that stuff except unions. And I don't especially care for them but they are needed.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:52 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am not pro none of that stuff except unions. And I don't especially care for them but they are needed.
Pretty much this. It's foolhardy to group all liberals together.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:24 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Pretty much this. It's foolhardy to group all liberals together.
That makes three of us... anymore?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:24 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Liberals are :
-pro union
-pro immigration.

I guess painting with a broad brush is a conservative thing. Trust me, things aren't all that simple. Liberals/Progressives do believe in personal freedom and everybody's welfare, not just of the "masters".

Old 03-11-2010, 08:27 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times
Quote:
Liberals are :
-pro union
-pro immigration.

Not every liberal thinks alike.

I'm pro union.

You pretty much contradicted yourself when you said liberals are pro union and pro low wage workers.

I see nothing wrong with immigration. It isn't all bad. A lot of good talent has come from overseas. I am against ILLEGAL immigration.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:30 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I guess painting with a broad brush is a conservative thing. Trust me, things aren't all that simple. Liberals/Progressives do believe in personal freedom and everybody's welfare, not just of the "masters".

Old 03-11-2010, 08:31 PM

150 posts, read 87,638 times
If you're unable to confront your opponents' points individually, ascribe a bunch of positions to them and lump them all together under an inadequate label. Brilliant tactic.

It would be like I posted this:

"CONSERVATIVES ARE:
christians
warmongers

This is contradictory!!!! What say you now?? I guess this is why conservatives love fighting in the middle east so much "

Old 03-11-2010, 08:52 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,422 times
Quote:
Liberals are :
-pro union
-pro immigration.

It's just silly to assume all liberals are the same. There's a much wider disparity of opinion on the liberal side of the aisle than the conservative.

Just because we believe in communal responsibility and helping our fellow Americans when they need a hand doesn't mean that we are "pro-welfare." That's just silly. Most liberals, including myself, would rather see a functional education system and strong economy that provides good jobs to people of all socioeconomic levels so that welfare isn't necessary.

Most liberals support unions because we accept that organized labor is the best balance against corporatism. We really don't want to go back to the 19th century when small children were working in factories and workers were subjected to horrible abuses. Go figure...

Minimum wage? Let's implement a maximum wage instead. It's obscene that Wall Street bankers are taking billions in bonuses when the money is being provided by taxpayer bailouts. Most liberals would like to see the people that actually do the work earn more money. I suppose that offends you but oh well...

As for immigration, most liberals I know are opposed to illegal immigration but support having legal immigrants get their shot at the American dream. That's probably because we are almost all descendants immigrants and most liberals are smart enough to remember that...

Old 03-11-2010, 08:57 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,077,406 times
One size does not fit all. I consider myself pretty liberal but my views contrast on the issues you listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies