Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 05:47 PM
DSO DSO started this thread

57 posts, read 76,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
1. I don't think anyone from either side is going to argue the type of deficits we have had the last couple years are sustainable. However, in order to stop the economy from completely falling off the cliff some rather extreme measures needed to be taken. We should and will go back to the Clinton level taxes on the portions of income in excess of $250,000, this will help reduce the deficit somewhat, and the overall taxes even for the rich will still be lower than it was then.

2. What entitlements specifically are you referring to?
govt controlled health care ( I agree the insurance industry is filthy and in need of cleaning up - - I just don't think this accomplished it), large tax credits to lower income families, the welfare program in general (again not saying let hopeless people starve in the street - but there are a lot of people working the system and throwing more money at it is not a solution). cell phones... debt elimination.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 05:50 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
That's not really fair - Bush had already greeted them and was following protocol. Looked bad, but no one was avoiding shaking his hand.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
In fact Reagan and Bush have been the biggest spenders in recent times. Don't give me that excuse that it's the House that spends the money, its the president that sets the agent.
So how is more of a bad thing the solution?

Old 04-18-2010, 05:51 PM

1,089 posts, read 655,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSO View Post
Because liberals are generally in favor of big government - - am I wrong? I asked the question because I don't want to rely on my assumptions of what you are thinking.
Your wrong, Republicans say they are for smaller government, but they have never or will the ever deliver on these promises, they love power too much. See Reagan and Bush.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:51 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Maybe that's why over 30 other countries joined us in Iraq.
WMDs and Blair's commitment to maintaining US relations, which cost him the election and which he later admitted was not necessarily wise. Had nothing to do with respect for Bush as a leader.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:52 PM

46 posts, read 40,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSO View Post
I am a conservative, and am seeking an understanding of how liberals view the future of this country in light of the debt being incurred by the country's current direction. Specifically, I'm looking for your ideas on things like:

1.) what are we going to do about the debt / what happens when the percieved cash cow of the rich people's money runs out?

2.) how do entitlements help people? I am of the opinion that entitlements enslave a person to dependency - I have seen this and lived it first hand. Do you have any experiences where this was a positive thing that helped a person become all they could be? I'm referring to able bodied people here.
This post is only for people who can handle the truth. All believers in fairy tales, should NOT proceed.

1. Liberals, because their fundamental inborn dishonesty, don't give a tinker's damn about the debt. Simply, they don't intend to honor the debt.

2. That is the whole idea. They create dependency as their way of enslaving the citizenry until they are but mere subjects of the "crown"

When you see the term "liberal", just think of it in the context of applying liberal doses of governmental force to the throats of the people, and it will all come into focus for you.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:54 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I think someone needs to define 'liberal' since some loonies have run amok here.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Yes it was, my grandmother wh was born in the mid 1800s was cared for by her mother ,not put into a lonely old folks home or hospice to die, she died in mothers bedroom . my mother died in my front room also . I will more than likly die alone although I have kids and grown grandkids ..

Roosevelts New Deal was't such a deal after all . Before welfare and socilaism we took care of each other, so did the minorities matter of fact . Changes needed to be made and they were .
Good post. I agree that we are here to take care of eachother. Curious thought - - if we didn't have to spend so much time working to have enough left after taxes to live on, maybe we could work less, employ more people, and spend quality time with our loved ones again?? But that would keep the people in control and not the government....

Old 04-18-2010, 05:55 PM

46 posts, read 40,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
They did?

They do?
For the record (or more accurately, from the record

Yes and Yes

Old 04-18-2010, 05:56 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymaru View Post
For the record (or more accurately, from the record

Yes and Yes
No and no from where I sit. Where the heck are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies