Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 05:00 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
What are you talking about? Ask any world leader for yourself who they looked up to more. Go ahead, do it. I am completely confident about my stance on this. Bash my points of view all you want, in the end, I know I'm right on this.
Considering odds are pretty low that you've asked any world leaders anything beyond yelling at a TV screen, I can assure you Bush was a laughing stock of the world platform. Nobody respected him. He lacked intelligence, foresight, articuation, and a sense of the global commons that we all now share. Very dark period in U.S. history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 05:02 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
As far Afghanistan we went to war because we were attacked. Nothing wrong with that and I was 100% behind the war in Afghanistan. Iraq is another story all together and it hurt us badly in our fight against those who actually did attack us as well as our standing.

From what I hear Saudis attacked us, not afganis . It should have been turned into a sand pit after 911 ,imo . They re still finacing terrorism right here in America .

Old 04-18-2010, 05:04 PM

22,186 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Opinion piece or not, he pointed out credible facts that you yourself cannot disprove and I made a personal decision to agree with what he said. Just because it wasn't an article written by Reuters doesn't mean it is rhetoic "hatemonger" propaganda. I receive my news from all kinds of sources, but am very diligent to fact check things before making a decision.

Again, you are focusing too closely on the technical details of the war. Read the other post I wrote above... What was the reason we went to war in the first place?
The post was an opinion piece with someone affiliated with the Heritage Foundation, its opinion not fact.

Everything in that piece was basically garbage. From the thought that admitting mistakes isn't as strong as not admitting when you are wrong, to the though he as actually spreading 'freedom', to the thought Bush cultivated U.S allies, among other things is just plain garbage.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:05 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,708 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? Ask any world leader for yourself who they looked up to more. Go ahead, do it. I am completely confident about my stance on this. Bash my points of view all you want, in the end, I know I'm right on this.

-response to pbrauer
lol. the burden of proof is on you. prove your assertion.

Abroad:

Global Views on Bush's Reelection

Quote:
According to a new BBC World Service Poll of twenty-one countries from all regions of the world, the reelection of President Bush is seen as negative for world peace and security by a majority in sixteen countries and a plurality in another two.

On average across all countries, 58 percent said that Bush’s reelection was negative, while 26 percent said that it was positive for global security.
At home:

Old 04-18-2010, 05:06 PM

22,186 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
From what I hear Saudis attacked us, not afganis . It should have been turned into a sand pit after 911 ,imo . They re still finacing terrorism right here in America .
The Saudi's were another problem and indeed part of it. Most of the hijackers were indeed Saudi's. The attacks were however based out of Afghanistan, but we should have put more pressure on the Saudi's right from the start, which we did not do.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:06 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
When I think of rich/wealthy
I see someone working that do not have to work.

They employee many and it adds to their wealth and the employees.

Taxing ones income, is not taxing their wealth.

So big `ol bad businessman that is wealthier than King Tut, closes his business, as it is no longer profitable. He decides to just retire and live off what he has. He has millions and has already paid taxes on that. The government ain't getting anymore from that wealthy guy.(there are many well practiced doctors, in that category).

So many are out of work because he shut down. The government is not getting anymore taxes from him, much less his employees.

So, who are you going to tax now? Not the rich/wealthy.

Just those trying to stay employed, will be taxed.

You will see private infrastructure dwindle.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:07 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,708 times

YouTube - World Leaders Don't Shake Bush's Hand At G20 Summit - CNN Reports - FAIL

Old 04-18-2010, 05:11 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Considering odds are pretty low that you've asked any world leaders anything beyond yelling at a TV screen, I can assure you Bush was a laughing stock of the world platform. Nobody respected him. He lacked intelligence, foresight, articuation, and a sense of the global commons that we all now share. Very dark period in U.S. history.
Theme song " Momma Told Me Not To Come " . She wanted her little Jed to be the one . Not the grinner .

2,830 posts, read 2,503,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post

We all know we went to war because of 9/11. So what?

Who were we supposed to go to war with? Do the ends justify the means regardless of the consequences? Should we ignore how we conduct ourselves in war? Do you really think that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have dealt a crippling blow to Islamic terrorism?

Well I prefer to stay out of the weeds and look at the bigger picture... 'Build me a car that drives 70 mph within 2 years'... the contractor builds me a car that drives 50mph 2 years later. I am happy. I don't need to know the technical complications involved with building the car or how management fought various aspects. I just want the car.

Now, I think everyone understands that the war against terrorism didn't work out quite as Bush had planned. Is Bush to blame for all of it? Technically yes, he authorized it. However, given better intelligence tools and resources would I trust Bush again with the same objective?

Yes, and this is the point I'm trying to make. I trust Bush's decision making despite the technical problems inherent with his past executions.

757 posts, read 802,887 times
I'm curious why conservatives NOW care about deficits and debt? I seem to recall Dick Cheney stating that deficits don't matter? Most of the current debt was created under Bush and Cheney. Seems kinda hypocritical for Conservatives to now complain about Obama trying to fix the disaster he was left by the previous administration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSO View Post
I am a conservative, and am seeking an understanding of how liberals view the future of this country in light of the debt being incurred by the country's current direction. Specifically, I'm looking for your ideas on things like:

1.) what are we going to do about the debt / what happens when the percieved cash cow of the rich people's money runs out?

2.) how do entitlements help people? I am of the opinion that entitlements enslave a person to dependency - I have seen this and lived it first hand. Do you have any experiences where this was a positive thing that helped a person become all they could be? I'm referring to able bodied people here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies