Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2022, 02:00 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
My take was this was from a time period when things like Columbine happened & then the entertainment & media industry was like all the stuff in movies, music, fashion, games in no way shape or form had any responsibility for what they put out there.

Nowadays it seems like they have done a 180 and now are claiming people should follow then, albeit not conceding any responsibility for what happens like before.

I think if you like an entertainer that's fine but be wary of what the mainstream or the crowd says should be a role that is to be modeled after, especially one that has a nasty history of supporting neo-nazis, fascists/corporatists, slavers & other questionable characters.
A and B.....and then C

A: I watched La Femme Nikita religiously and the thought at the back of the mind was how could someone continue to look so good with that kind of life of upset schedules? Well, of course the answer is that they are not living that life but playing that life, that such a life is an illusion created by the actress on her schedule.

What we see on the screen is sometimes hard to accept that it is an illusion, hard to remember it is one. It is like looking at an adult movie and seeing that decadent world as so perfect and losing the points that it is a 20 year old body being subjected to such abuse, that movie magic often hides the stress, and that they have much more recovery time than the common woman.

In any event, any show, it is often a darn good illusion for even though we know, it is still hard for us to accept.

B: There is a rumor that "Luther" star Idris Elba could be the next 007. Personally, I was not that impressed with "Luther" for I saw a wife abusing cop as bad as the crooks. It rather shows the complex world of Hollywood where does the role make the person? Then again with actors, I am only concerned with how they are infront of the camera......and their personal life is their own.

...........and C: Hollywood is hilarious when it comes to guns because they have their finger wrapped around the trigger as they go running around with guns. Well, it is only a non firing prop on the set, so why not......but to those of us in the audience, it is certainly not the way to do things.

But......it is entertainment and would my real life world be entertaining? Probably not but on the other hand, it probably has or has had information that children should not be exposed to. They are the reference books of what I do, such "The Sexual Exploitation of Children" or "Death Investigator's Handbook" (2 of the ones I can read from my bookshelf as I type this). If I had to bring a child into this house, I would worry about all this information that they might get their hands on for I believe that childhood is precious and should be held on to as long as possible.

Is such information that terrible? I remember being in a human trafficking workshop where the speaker stopped for a moment, asked if everyone in the room as law enforcement, and then told of a sexual exploitation market of infants, to how they are abused and used......and many senior officers in the room were shocked (I had already come across it in other briefings). While "refreshing" that seasoned officers could still be shocked, imagine what it would do to a child mind.

Now, given how "I am constructed", my life as Enforcer is not likely to be complicated by children, but that certainly doesn't apply to all.......

......how do we balance the reality against the ideal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 02:22 PM

78,450 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
There is no lack of fathers. The are plenty of absent biological fathers not taking co-responsibility for the little human they made with their lover. The story goes: as soon as she says she's pregnant, guy puts pressure on her to get an abortion while he exits stage left.

I know not all men are like that but we all know it is a prevalent problem.Guys if you don't want to have a child get a reversible vasectomy. Anti-abortion lobbyists would not have to protest any more. Vasectomies would tend to eliminate abortion. There are instances of guys with vasectomies getting their partner pregnant but it's rare.

Methods of birth control available for women are not 100% effective. Condoms are the least effective of all of them.

It really is weird that men tell us women it's our fault we got pregnant because we did not keep our knees together or we wore short skirts or we bent over in low rise jeans and our thong showed. Yet, all the while the end goal of a man's pursuit is intercourse, using every tactic they can dream up to persuade us to spread 'em after we have already refused.

Do guys ever say "No"?
People can make all of the generalizations in the world but ultimately it comes down to each persons individual choices about whom they partner up with and they will get the good and bad that comes with that.

Old 06-18-2022, 03:00 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,115,957 times
It's what is learned from a man that is important. A young man can learn this from a father, another man or his male friends. It is a shared experience of what it is internally means to be a strong male. You learn it though models and touch and feelings.

It cannot be learned any other way. When I see two women raising a boy I shudder at the deficit the child will grow up with. He may never even know it except when he comes in contact with other men who have had a man in their life. The loss is unmistakable and resonates throughout their life. For daughters also, that sadness pervades and she must constantly make adjustments for men that she did not learn by having a father.

But there are worse things in this world.

Old 06-18-2022, 03:05 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
Fatherhood is important but another thing many kids lack are any male role models in their families. If you look at Hispanic cultures even if the father isn't a factor at least they usually have uncles and male cousins who step in and help. So many American kids have a father who isn't involved or is around but a negative and there is no one to fill the void because we value 'raising your own kids'. Individualism is great for our economy but I think it destroys families when taken too far.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:10 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Fatherhood is important but another thing many kids lack are any male role models in their families. If you look at Hispanic cultures even if the father isn't a factor at least they usually have uncles and male cousins who step in and help. So many American kids have a father who isn't involved or is around but a negative and there is no one to fill the void because we value 'raising your own kids'. Individualism is great for our economy but I think it destroys families when taken too far.
You bring up a good point. Culture. My Grandma was in born 1900 and 1st Generation Italian American. Grandpa died (alcoholic) in his 30's when Mom and Uncle Sal were 6 and 4. Was not a happy marriage. Grandma had 3 older brothers who lived nearby. It was part of the Italian culture too that they needed to step up and help her out, even though they had families of their own.

My Great-Uncle Johnny was a wonderful man. I also had a lot of interaction with him growing up. His younger son was Downs, so he did not have an easy time raising his own children.

Grandma had a "Suitor" for 30 years. Every year he asked her to marry him. Every year she refused. "Joe Poppa" was very nice. I was named after him. Her choice. "One marriage was enough for me". My Uncle Sal did not grow up to be an absent Father. Probably his male relatives, and Joe Poppa, were better role models than his own Father would have been.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:20 AM

20,836 posts, read 17,115,957 times
I had a great dad and he passed away early at 50. My grandfather on his side of the family was an amazing man. Between them I learned boundaries, courage, perseverance and grit.

Old 06-19-2022, 11:19 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Using fatherhood, or lack thereof, to let broken systems off the hook.

For example....lack of fatherhood is NOT the cause of gun violence! A system allowing excessive access to guns is!

Chicago needs more onerous gun laws?

Old 06-19-2022, 12:40 PM

9,166 posts, read 6,208,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Danial Moynahan told us about 60 years ago. It's only gotten worse.

When you lower standards society suffers.

You are so right, but people have forgotten who Senator Moynahan was.

Senator Daniel Patrick Moynahan was a member of the Democratic Party, and he represented New York in the United States Senate for 24 years, from 1977 until 2001.

He also was possibly the last Democrat who realized that the collapsing family structure was a major impediment to social and economic progress.

Old 06-19-2022, 01:02 PM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Not really. Boy grows up without a father, is never taught or shown how to become one, then has his own kids and becomes the negligent absent father his own father was.

It’s not rocket science.
It didn’t sink in to me just how much evil in society is caused by fatherless homes. It is shocking to think about it.

All the more reason to get back to traditional families in this country.

Old 06-19-2022, 01:10 PM

1,213 posts, read 568,738 times
All this identity nonsense is tampering with nature and evolution. You know, “science”.
You think people are screwy now, wait 20 years.
We’ll have people married to their cats and writing them off as dependents, adding them to health policies, co-applicants on mortgages, etc…we’re opening the floodgates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies