Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2022, 04:58 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,132,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Lol. Employers are the ones that build businesses and create jobs for folks to make money, but it’s hilarious how you think owners of businesses do nothing…and entitlement is thinking one deserves more while taking a job they agreed to and the pay they receive.

And those jobs weren’t/aren’t intended to do so. Putting oneself in a position to not be able to get more than an entry level job while supporting a family is poor planning and isn’t anyone else’s fault.

Walmart has a huge number of employees making livable wages.

The Walmart owner is more entitled to make more money along with the stockholders depending on how much they have invested…and nobody’s stopping anyone from starting their own business so they can do the same thing.

Nope, entitlement is thinking one deserves more than they have or make compared to other folks who planned accordingly to make themselves more valuable, and thinking one deserves what others have without working for it.

Perhaps you should start a business and pay everyone what you see fit versus expecting others to pay for what you see fit. You’re entitled to do that.
People don’t agree to take jobs. Laura Ingraham gave away the conservative lie on that one.

https://news.yahoo.com/fox-news-laur...212149256.html

and worker productivity over the past 40 years has soared while wages stagnate.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/...wages-stagnate

So workers are generating more but their wages stay the same and you call them entitled.

The data and the pro business conservative pundit aren’t lying.

Get with reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 05:07 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,020,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Lol. Employers are the ones that build businesses and create jobs for folks to make money, but it’s hilarious how you think owners of businesses do nothing…and entitlement is thinking one deserves more while taking a job they agreed to and the pay they receive.
Their only job is to build a system to extract a percentage of wealth their capital and employees make. Nearly all of them work hard, but you cannot become a huge corporation (aside from some rare and marvelous genuine insight/advancement) without exploitation. There's no sugar-coating this, profit reaches shareholders by virtue of ownership alone. Elon Musk doesn't build rockets, he enables it with invisible proxy. This is not to mean that it doesn't take work to build and maintain such a system.

Old 06-17-2022, 05:08 PM

6,992 posts, read 3,190,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
So workers are generating more but their wages stay the same and you call them entitled.

This sounds like a living version of a Communist Pamphlet.

"Wages" are not some central mythical number from on high. It is negotiated by individuals before they AGREE to take on that job.

When there are a 10 million people who can flip burgers then the wages will reflect that. They aren't in as high a demand as a more specific technical job like Doctors or even high level programming.

Be mad at yourself( generally speaking) for spending your youth on tik tok trying to make it as an influencer.
Maybe be mad at your fellow man for undercutting you instead.

Old 06-17-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post

"Wages" are not some central mythical number from on high. It is negotiated by individuals before they AGREE to take on that job.

When there are a 10 million people who can flip burgers then the wages will reflect that. They aren't in as high a demand as a more specific technical job like Doctors or even high level programming.

Be mad at yourself( generally speaking) for spending your youth on tik tok trying to make it as an influencer.

That's why my generation and the next are trying to build labor union movements. Corps have gotten very good at busting them, however. But the cat's out of the bag, and Gen Z doesn't really see much of a future for themselves anyways. They tend to act like they don't have much to lose, which is a big bargaining advantage.

Old 06-17-2022, 05:21 PM

40,998 posts, read 18,386,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
People don’t agree to take jobs. Laura Ingraham gave away the conservative lie on that one.

https://news.yahoo.com/fox-news-laur...212149256.html

and worker productivity over the past 40 years has soared while wages stagnate.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/...wages-stagnate

Get with reality.
Nobody makes anyone show up to work and agree to take a job.

And for those that think they’re working too hard, there’s plenty of other jobs available.

Nope, I said entitled is thinking they deserve more than what they agreed to work for, and thinking they deserve what others do without working for it.

I’m certainly living in reality. Plan ahead for ones future and one won’t put themselves in less than ideal conditions. Poor planning doesn’t constitute entitlement from others.

Old 06-17-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
That's why my generation and the next are trying to build labor union movements. Corps have gotten very good at busting them, however. But the cat's out of the bag, and Gen Z doesn't really see much of a future for themselves anyways. They tend to act like they don't have much to lose, which is a big bargaining advantage.
Labor Unions have been going on forever. Well before this generation.

There are positives, I would never say there are not.
I know the unions the Doormen in NYC belong to do great things for them.

I think they work better on certain industries over others though. So a union may work well for one but be totally powerless on another.

There will always be powerful corps that are engrained in the goings on of the economy that 'need' to run. Essential even.

And there will always be an influx of people willing to undercut and work for less, who perhaps have no interest in paying union dues.

As mentioned, nobody is stopping Anyone from creating their own business and paying whatever wage an employee deems fair. Like a "Bob's Red Mill" oatmeal brand, exp.

It's just that people who create businesses and create jobs are usually not the kind of people who are satistfied being an employee and in a union in the first place.

Old 06-17-2022, 05:26 PM

40,998 posts, read 18,386,406 times
Quote:

Bingo…but it’s easier to be an “American whiner” and expect things to change instead of bettering oneself to make things better.

Old 06-17-2022, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Labor Unions have been going on forever. Well before this generation.

There are positives, I would never say there are not.
I know the unions the Doormen in NYC belong to do great things for them.

I think they work better on certain industries over others though. So a union may work well for one but be totally powerless on another.

There will always be powerful corps that are engrained in the goings on of the economy that 'need' to run. Essential even.

And there will always be an influx of people willing to undercut and work for less, who perhaps have no interest in paying union dues.

As mentioned, nobody is stopping Anyone from creating their own business and paying whatever wage an employee deems fair. Like a "Bob's Red Mill" oatmeal brand, exp.

It's just that people who create businesses and create jobs are usually not the kind of people who are satistfied being an employee and in a union in the first place.
Very reasonable take. The only thing I really disagree with is the "anyone can compete against large corporations" idea. Sometimes true, and sometimes the industry takes perhaps billions to break into, let alone backroom deals, regulatory capture etc.

But yeah, the working class is helping to oppress itself in many ways. Usually plagued by lack of organization.

Old 06-17-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Very reasonable take. The only thing I really disagree with is the "anyone can compete against large corporations" idea. Sometimes true, and sometimes the industry takes perhaps billions to break into, let alone backroom deals, regulatory capture etc.
Depends on the industry I guess. But putting wages aside, I am not a fan of big corp 'lobbyists' doing all the shady stuff and making things impossible for competition. So I am with you there. This is why a big bloated government is bad, just more 'humans' with the power to regulate and be tempted by the big corps.

I don't even know how we're veering off into this,..lol.

Fathers!

Fathers teach your kids how to be fiscally responsible!

Old 06-17-2022, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Depends on the industry I guess. But putting wages aside, I am not a fan of big corp 'lobbyists' doing all the shady stuff and making things impossible for competition. So I am with you there. This is why a big bloated government is bad, just more 'humans' with the power to regulate and be tempted by the big corps.

I don't even know how we're veering off into this,..lol.

Fathers!

Fathers teach your kids how to be fiscally responsible!
Lol. I think that tends to happen when someone starts a thread like: "You know what America's real problem is? *blank*!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies