Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.88%
No 254 50.40%
Unsure 49 9.72%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 11:56 AM

15,615 posts, read 9,274,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You could look at it another way. Ukraine has been defending Bakhmut (a minor city)with their "C" team, while Russia has been trying to take it with their "A" team. Over 6 months, Ukraine has kept the Russian A team tied down and limited to a miniscule advance while simultaneously retaking much of the Kerson area (a province) and Kharkiv (another province).

I will take that trade any day of the week.

Now, to address your mischaracterization of the Biden admin, Biden said:

Hardly sounds like begging to me. Open to discussion, under the correct conditions? Sure. Begging? Not even close.
As I recall, it was Putin who was demanding that the West negotiate with Russia to end the war. The West's response was that Russia needs to get out of the Ukraine, then we will negotiate. Now Biden has been requesting negotiations and Putin's response is, recognize my annexations before we negotiate.

To me that looks like Putin just flipped things around on Biden. Putin seems to have a lot more confidence then he had a few months ago, and biden seems much more nervous about how things are going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2022, 12:32 PM

25,732 posts, read 17,496,059 times
Post-war Ukraine will be more like a large Israel, with high-tech weapons ready to by used by soldiers who have already used them. It will be less like Europe with its liberal policies and military hesitancy, and better prepared to defend itself than it was in February.

The Russian citizenry had an unspoken agreement with Russian politicians - "The citizens will not interfere with politicians and politicians will provide a country with ample growth and opportunity."
That agreement is now broken. Politicians are now unable to provide the growth they have in the past, and Russian citizens are being fed into the meat grinder of Ukraine. As a result, many citizens are leaving the country and women are having even few children then before. There is no hope that sanctions will be lifted and heavy manufacturing will slowly become only a fraction of what it needed. Russia will fail in the end.
The war almost doesn't matter. Russia cannot win. The discussion is now how they will exit.

Old 12-03-2022, 12:59 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,117,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
As I recall, it was Putin who was demanding that the West negotiate with Russia to end the war. The West's response was that Russia needs to get out of the Ukraine, then we will negotiate. Now Biden has been requesting negotiations and Putin's response is, recognize my annexations before we negotiate.
Sure, if you are going to stand on the basis of your fictional memory, which completely contradicts the actual facts of what really happened, that might, conceivably be kind of the case. And, you might even say Biden has been requesting negotiations, if you ignore his actual words, which state that he has no plans to contact Putin and the ball is in Putin's court to initiate.

So, sure, if you don't want to deal with reality, you could look at it your way.

Quote:
To me that looks like Putin just flipped things around on Biden. Putin seems to have a lot more confidence then he had a few months ago, and biden seems much more nervous about how things are going.
Again, none of this is actually based in reality, but you do you.

Noted that you could not address Wagner's failure to take Bakhmut while Ukrain runs all over Russia in the northeastern and southern theaters.

Old 12-03-2022, 01:37 PM

8,973 posts, read 11,856,074 times
Infrared view of artillery massacre of Russian troops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-6gdSDm48w

Old 12-03-2022, 02:09 PM

79,012 posts, read 61,161,318 times
I reiterate that this crap-show just reminds me more and more of a historians recollection about WW1.

The losses were too much to accept what the other side wanted to concede (nothing) and so it was politically untenable to just stop fighting.

So it went on.

And on.

Old 12-03-2022, 03:54 PM

2,156 posts, read 1,461,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You did not read, or you did not understand. The issue is not who will buy the oil, it is who will ship it and who will insure it.
Oil is not shipped without insurance. If someone can find insurance and shipment outside the G7 sphere, go for it. Of the top 10 oil tankers in the world, none of them would deal with Russia. But there are lots and lots of tankers. Maybe Russia can find some who are not busy and will deal with them.

"Importers seeking shipping services and insurance cover from companies based in the countries would need to adhere to a price cap to transport Russian oil."
The shipping it part of the earlier statement has now been answered. Russia has been buying oil liners all along. Whoever was making money before shipping their oil is going no longer be needed as much.

Russia assembles a 'shadow fleet' of more than 100 oil tankers as Putin tries to bust western sanctions, report says

Russia has a "shadow fleet" of oil tankers to bypass western sanctions, the Financial Times reported.

Shipping brokers and analysts estimate that Moscow added 100-plus ships to the fleet, per the FT.

The EU has agreed on a $60 a barrel price cap on Russian oil after Poland wanted it set at just $30.

Russia has assembled a "shadow fleet" of more than 100 oil tankers in a bid to bust western sanctions imposed following Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine, the Financial Times reported.

Shipping brokers and analysts told the newspaper they estimated Moscow has quietly amassed more tankers this year.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/russia-as...113852962.html

Old 12-03-2022, 04:06 PM

79,012 posts, read 61,161,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
The shipping it part of the earlier statement has now been answered. Russia has been buying oil liners all along. Whoever was making money before shipping their oil is going no longer be needed as much.

Russia assembles a 'shadow fleet' of more than 100 oil tankers as Putin tries to bust western sanctions, report says

Russia has a "shadow fleet" of oil tankers to bypass western sanctions, the Financial Times reported.

Shipping brokers and analysts estimate that Moscow added 100-plus ships to the fleet, per the FT.

The EU has agreed on a $60 a barrel price cap on Russian oil after Poland wanted it set at just $30.

Russia has assembled a "shadow fleet" of more than 100 oil tankers in a bid to bust western sanctions imposed following Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine, the Financial Times reported.

Shipping brokers and analysts told the newspaper they estimated Moscow has quietly amassed more tankers this year.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/russia-as...113852962.html
Well of course they have.

There's just too much money to be made and Europe and asia are chock-full of corruption.

But hey, that's crazy talk, how's the world cup going?

Old 12-03-2022, 04:08 PM

7,825 posts, read 2,754,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I reiterate that this crap-show just reminds me more and more of a historians recollection about WW1.

The losses were too much to accept what the other side wanted to concede (nothing) and so it was politically untenable to just stop fighting.

So it went on.

And on.
This is a great article along those lines....you may hit a paywall but thev usually give you a few freebies.

The Hard Truth About Long Wars
Why the Conflict in Ukraine Won’t End Anytime Soon

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/ukrai...bout-long-wars

Last edited by JohnBoy64; 12-03-2022 at 04:17 PM..

Old 12-03-2022, 05:01 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,993,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Yea I know...this has been posted before but it is still relevant

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

Mark Twain
...i'm not arguing with you at all, you are the one out here that's been making claims since this thread began..all i'm saying is "we'll see"...because neither you nor i know what the outcome will be...and to continue to make claims that you have no way of validating is, well, quite juvenile...

Old 12-03-2022, 05:24 PM

7,825 posts, read 2,754,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...i'm not arguing with you at all, you are the one out here that's been making claims since this thread began..all i'm saying is "we'll see"...because neither you nor i know what the outcome will be...and to continue to make claims that you have no way of validating is, well, quite juvenile...
I have been following this war close enough to recognize the unimportance of Bakhmut...especially at the cost Russia has paid for it...when they could use those forces elsewhere. So I was responding to posts that were claiming this has been some major breakthrough in the war when....when it hasn't. How does this position troops moving forward...what supply lines have they cut off??

But you're right we'll see...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies