Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.88%
No 254 50.40%
Unsure 49 9.72%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 05:27 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,193,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The irony of this whole horrible endeavor is that his effort to reclaim the Russian empire, Putin will leave it in shambles.
Reality check: Ukraine lost.
Not really taking sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 07:19 AM

25,733 posts, read 17,496,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezo View Post
Yep the hundreds of thousands of Ukranian lives are practically free.
LOL.
That's about the dumbest position taken, albeit fairly common.
It assumes the Ukrainians are resisting because the Americans told them to, and that missiles sent into Ukraine before real help arrived did not kill anyone.

Ukrainians will resist as long as they want to.

Financial Times reports top foreign policy experts believe Russia will become a failed state by 2033. My personal feeling is, it will be before that. Ukraine is having the effect of accelerating history, and Russia is being forced to sell oil and below production cost. Russia will never recover the $300B that was locked away when they invaded.

That same article predicts China will invade Taiwan at some point - 10 years or so.

Here's a graphic showing, over time, where Germany gets its natural gas. Russia is the big loser.
https://twitter.com/Biz_Ukraine_Mag/...84023398109185

Last edited by Listener2307; 01-10-2023 at 07:41 AM..

Old 01-10-2023, 07:24 AM
exm

3,747 posts, read 1,810,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
How about if Putin nukes a couple of the Ukraine cities, and lays waste to everyone and everything in them in a hot minute...like the U.S. has done to others. Would that be cool in
You are so delusional, sorry. How can you compare the situation in the Pacific during WW2 with what's going on in Ukraine? The Japanese had shown that they would fight to the death with millions and millions of soldiers. A conventional attack on mainland Japan by the US would have caused millions of US, Japanese soldiers as well as civilians. Millions. As difficult and painful the decision was to drop the nuke and kill tens of thousands of Japanese, it saved millions of American and Japanese lives.

If Russia nukes Ukranian cities, it would prevent maybe a few thousand soldier and civilians from being killed during the conflict, but it will inflict massive damage and casualties among the civilian population far outweighing the casualties from the conventional war that's going on.

I don't even know why I'm arguing with a Russian bot. What a pathetic argument you're making.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:46 AM

5,205 posts, read 4,698,181 times
Quote:
Here...let me make it simple for ya.
Your RDS is getting you all hung up on miserable disagreement headtrips....irrelevant to the point being made.
***The U.S. annual Military Defense Budget runs 7 to 800 Billion over any given recent 1 year period of time.
***We will give Ukraine war aid of approximately 100 Billion in the course of a years time.
This is a astronomical amount of the taxpayers money to give...in raw numbers and when considered as a relative percentage of our Military Defense Budget spending during that year of time.
A unprecedented amount of money. More than we have ever given in a years time to any Country, anywhere, for anything.
All for arbitrary and imaginary lines on the ground, that are ever shifting in that part of the world.
Why would we, all of a sudden, consider that to be the most valuable foreign expense? Obama didn't think so, in a rather similar circumstance...in fact, 2014 was much more of a "invasion" type action. We did next to nothing...we stayed out of it.
Peace under just about ANY conditions is preferable to hundreds of thousands of dead and wounded...and untold Billions in destruction.
And for those concerned about such...what is the environmental impact of this? The Nord Stream pipeline the U.S. busted caused the greatest man-made CO2 discharge in human history.

The ONLY reason war would be subsidized to that financial magnitude (when there was a Peaceful option)...is due to evil, corruption, and a love of killing, destruction, and suffering.
Did you see Poland is going to up their military budget from 3% to 5% of GDP? It's almost as if the aggressive actions of one country results in other countries increasing their military spend. How does that work? It's a huge mystery.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:48 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,688,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
You are so delusional, sorry. How can you compare the situation in the Pacific during WW2 with what's going on in Ukraine? The Japanese had shown that they would fight to the death with millions and millions of soldiers. A conventional attack on mainland Japan by the US would have caused millions of US, Japanese soldiers as well as civilians. Millions. As difficult and painful the decision was to drop the nuke and kill tens of thousands of Japanese, it saved millions of American and Japanese lives.

If Russia nukes Ukranian cities, it would prevent maybe a few thousand soldier and civilians from being killed during the conflict, but it will inflict massive damage and casualties among the civilian population far outweighing the casualties from the conventional war that's going on.

I don't even know why I'm arguing with a Russian bot. What a pathetic argument you're making.
I'm not assessing all that.
I'm addressing those that condemn based upon civilian casualties.
You made my point about nuking cities...it's mostly civilians killed. And no Country has ever done that but the United States.
So...the U.S. has no standing to criticize anyone else about "civilian casualties".

Old 01-10-2023, 07:51 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,688,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Did you see Poland is going to up their military budget from 3% to 5% of GDP? It's almost as if the aggressive actions of one country results in other countries increasing their military spend. How does that work? It's a huge mystery.
Yes...Peace is better.
Too bad the U.S/West/ NATO rejected Peace and chose war.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:53 AM
exm

3,747 posts, read 1,810,828 times
Quote:
I'm not assessing all that.
I'm addressing those that condemn based upon civilian casualties.
You made my point about nuking cities...it's mostly civilians killed. And no Country has ever done that but the United States.
So...the U.S. has no standing to criticize anyone else about "civilian casualties".

Sure thing comrade. The US chose the three cities because of the military infrastructure based in and around them trying to limit civilian casualties. And the US does have standing because the alternative to the nuke would have been much, much worse as I described above and is well documented.

The only civilian casualties in the current conflict are inflicted by your President Putin, but I'm sure you're perfectly fine with this BECAUSE OF NATO!!!

Old 01-10-2023, 08:03 AM

2,389 posts, read 1,111,281 times
Quote:
That's about as discriminatory and prejudiced a statement as I have ever seen on this board.
It would require great improvement for anyone of that mindset and character to be a fraction of those they criticize.

Russia is a threat...yeah, right.
How much do they spend on their military?
How many bases do they have around the world?
How many troops and military hardware do they have positioned around the world?
How many people of this world have they bombed to death in the past 30 years...compared to the United States?
One word.....nukes....

Old 01-10-2023, 08:41 AM

4,970 posts, read 2,747,822 times
the Russians, specifically the Wagner group appears to be making significant headway into Soledar, which has miles of underground tunnels from the salt mines..Prigozhin wants them for financial gain I've read, and also to hold and stage troops and tanks..no buildings left standing in this town, but the underground tunnels seem to be the prize here..this cuts off gloc for Ukraine and leaves Bakhmut as the next town to fall..let's hope the Ukes can hold them off..

Old 01-10-2023, 08:46 AM

3,268 posts, read 1,637,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
the Russians, specifically the Wagner group appears to be making significant headway into Soledar, which has miles of underground tunnels from the salt mines..Prigozhin wants them for financial gain I've read, and also to hold and stage troops and tanks..no buildings left standing in this town, but the underground tunnels seem to be the prize here..this cuts off gloc for Ukraine and leaves Bakhmut as the next town to fall..let's hope the Ukes can hold them off..
It is interesting that Wagner in the past has been given good sized percentages of mines and other resources that they have captured as part of their work in Africa and Syria. For example they were given 25% of the revenue from oil fields they secured in Syria.

Running a PMC in Russia seems to be a good way to gain riches and power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies