Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.88%
No 254 50.40%
Unsure 49 9.72%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2023, 10:37 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,119,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Putin's strategy is to run out the clock. He is hoping the move in the US to "stop giving away taxpayer money" will gain traction and support for the war will expire. It worked for the North Vietnamese who argued for a full year over what shape the negotiating table should be. It may even work for this war.

But in this war Russia has few allies - North Korea and Iran come to mind, the rest are simply customers for its oil. With so few allies Russia will probably fail. It will certainly fail if Putin leaves office for any reason.
The mild weather in Europe has helped. Freezing and starving children are rare this year, in spite of predictions. And the speed at which Europe built regasification plants has helped. Russia gas will never be used again, but Ukrainian gas might be.

Putin has spoiled any chance Russia had of joining the civilized world. I don't believe they will never recover from this war. Population has already peaked in Russia and will now decrease steadily until Russia women average over 2 children each. But I don't see that ever happening. So Russia, along with many countries, will simply die on the vine.
I agree with the thought that Putin has succeeded in ostracizing Russia. In the short term, I also agree with the population and economic dynamics. However, in a generation or three, this might change. With warming global temperatures, the Russian north may look very attractive to people in the sweltering equatorial belt. Russia will be too weak to do anything about it, and we will likely see a migration that will fundamentally change the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2023, 12:46 PM

4,951 posts, read 3,109,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Please document how this is the case.

For myself, I will go with the simple territorial aggression and greed. No need to get esoteric and postulate weird causes.
We police the planet to keep the greenback as world reserve currency, just as the British once did.
And collectively, more of the planet is tired of it; than is not.
And NATO promised Russia they wouldn't annex sovereign states after the wall fell 30 years ago.
In exchange, Russia voluntarily withdrew from said countries.
NATO broke their promise, both sides are equally culpable.

I won't go into the global economic and political factors lying beyond the Ukrainian borders, as it would simply require a dissertation.

Old 01-08-2023, 12:57 PM

23,175 posts, read 12,337,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Source?
Look at the deep state map yourself. Click on the history calendar button near the bottom right and step back from latest to Jan. 1.

https://deepstatemap.live/en#12/49.0406/38.2201

Old 01-08-2023, 02:12 PM

15,623 posts, read 9,284,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Look at the deep state map yourself. Click on the history calendar button near the bottom right and step back from latest to Jan. 1.

https://deepstatemap.live/en#12/49.0406/38.2201
I have looked at that map. Other than very minor map corrections on both sides the situation in Kreminna looks just as it did 2 months ago. Your claim was that the Russians are evacuating from Kreminna. When I Google, "Russian evacuation from Kreminna" all that comes up are old articles from October and November talking about the Russians evacuating civilians from that city. No mention of the Russians evacuating themselves from there. I understand that you want the best for the Ukrainians but your wishful thinking isn't going to help them any.

Here is a recent VOA article on what is happening in Kreminna. It doesn't sound good.

Quote:
Ukraine Facing 'Tough' Enemy in Battle for Key City

YAMPIL, UKRAINE —
Behind the frontline near Kreminna, a strategically located Russian-controlled city in eastern Ukraine, Kyiv's troops say they are facing a tough enemy.

"We fight them every day, in any weather. We attack in the direction of Kreminna, but they are not easy to defeat," said a 24-year-old Ukrainian soldier who goes by the call sign "Kulak" or "Fist."

"They are good, they are tough," he told Agence France-Presse in Yampil, a village some 30 kilometers (18 miles) west of Kreminna and recaptured by Ukrainian forces in late September.

The city in the eastern Luhansk region — which Moscow claimed to have annexed along with three other Ukrainian regions — has been the scene of intense fighting in recent days.

"We had some successes on the Ukrainian side, but nothing huge. The enemy is not giving up," Kulak said with a smile.

Old 01-08-2023, 02:37 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,194,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Putin's strategy is to run out the clock. He is hoping the move in the US to "stop giving away taxpayer money" will gain traction and support for the war will expire. It worked for the North Vietnamese who argued for a full year over what shape the negotiating table should be. It may even work for this war.

But in this war Russia has few allies - North Korea and Iran come to mind, the rest are simply customers for its oil. With so few allies Russia will probably fail. It will certainly fail if Putin leaves office for any reason.
The mild weather in Europe has helped. Freezing and starving children are rare this year, in spite of predictions. And the speed at which Europe built regasification plants has helped. Russia gas will never be used again, but Ukrainian gas might be.

Putin has spoiled any chance Russia had of joining the civilized world. I don't believe they will never recover from this war. Population has already peaked in Russia and will now decrease steadily until Russia women average over 2 children each. But I don't see that ever happening. So Russia, along with many countries, will simply die on the vine.
Sperm armageddon hit the whole world... Almost no nation hits 2.1 replacement rate...it is going downhill.

Old 01-08-2023, 02:40 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,459,341 times
So things are about to get interesting again. We passed the funding for fighter pilot training for some Ukrainian pilots. 100 million. Remember that in July?

In October we started training.

We're going to see F-16s and F-15s show up in Ukraine I think pretty soon. And that brings access to a insane number of NATO weapons.

Old 01-08-2023, 02:47 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,119,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I'm more than well aware of just how much not only the Fed Res, but the Fed Gov. has been raping the majority of Americans; for a century...and running.
This conflict is over upcoming digital currencies, and AI tech.
The days of declaring war ended with the nuclear age, as it would mean using them; but the days of using other countries' minor conflicts as staging grounds continues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Please document how this is the case.

For myself, I will go with the simple territorial aggression and greed. No need to get esoteric and postulate weird causes.
Quote:
We police the planet to keep the greenback as world reserve currency, just as the British once did.
And NATO promised Russia they wouldn't annex sovereign states after the wall fell 30 years ago.

I won't go into the global economic and political factors lying beyond the Ukrainian borders, as it would simply require a dissertation.
I asked you to document your assertion that the war is about upcoming digital currency and AI tech.

You didn't provide any supporting evidence, instead you started talking about the dollar as a reserve currency and some rambling about NATO annexation.

Looks like we can ignore your post as crazy rambling.

Old 01-08-2023, 02:56 PM

25,743 posts, read 17,505,763 times
Quote:
And collectively, more of the planet is tired of it; than is not.........
That doesn't matter.
It's not up to some kind of a vote. The American dollar remains the world's reserve currency and America remains 1/4 of the world's GDP.
It's pretty simple.

Old 01-08-2023, 03:02 PM

25,743 posts, read 17,505,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
.............Here is a recent VOA article on what is happening in Kreminna. It doesn't sound good.

I know, right?........... We see your "tears" every time you report another Ukrainian failure or another successful attempt by China to supply Russia with supplies, or report more Iranian drones.

That was Dec 30. Things have progressed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uFmaddPhws

Old 01-08-2023, 03:12 PM

1,813 posts, read 2,243,246 times
Quote:

NATO doesn't "annex" anything and made no such promise to Russia. There's an actual treaty you can read and limiting expansion of NATO was not part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies