Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 09:04 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,148,713 times

Advertisements

Christie is an idiot for advocating that people listen to CDC and wear a mask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 09:22 PM

35,753 posts, read 21,113,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
2 years ago I buried my younger brother. Died at 42 from lung cancer. He never looked after his health, smoking (like me), painting and using chemicals without proper protections from car engines, and it caught up to him. On Thanksgiving I saw him - he looked healthy, big and sturdy as ever. Them in February he woke up unable to breathe. Perhaps he had it for a while, and didn't admit it. But when he went to the hospital, it was all over for him. He died 2 months later. He leaves behind two grown boys.

I also buried my father and many friends (motorcycle accident, drug OD, heart attack, etc).

This is reality. Death comes to all, but this virus is not the grim reaper. Your odds of dying from it is low.
We will differ in the amount of deaths in a short time if it’s the grim reaper or not. He is not done. I know about motorcycles, my son died near the Orange bowl - via another driver 33, left a son 10. and my Grandson 7 from illness. My experience was the RSV virus. Think was in 1998 or early 1999. Tons of children had pneumonia type virus including my grand, he was 4 months maybe. Joe Dimaggio was packed with sick kids. This Covid reminds me of same. They did have a vaccine and not heard much about it anymore, but we should try. Can’t win em all- but try.

Old 10-16-2020, 10:39 PM

3,698 posts, read 5,006,880 times
Quote:
When this thing struck back in March/April we weren't testing like we're now. Many people in NYC were infected, with 0 symptoms, and we never knew about them.

Now, we're testing a lot more.

Sure, the meds could be better, but tbh, I don't believe they're that much better.
err no. It isn't just meds but how to best treat the patient that is unknown at the start of an epidemic. (i.e. What to use. What to do. What NOT to do).

In the Case of HIV for instance the world's first antiviral drug, AZT was available at the start but no one knew it was effective until more was know about the virus and no one would have thought to use an weak anti cancer drug against the virus until more was understood about it. Later much more effective drugs were developed and today it's is a rarely used drug.

In the case of COVID anti clotting drugs are a part of the standard routine, this is not a standard part of threatening Pneumonia. They reduce blood clot formations which lead to complications like heart attack, stroke and further lung problems. This alone would cut the death rate.

Lots of people could have been infected with 0 symptoms, however they may or may not have some damage caused by the virus(asymptomatic illnesses does not mean harmless...some cancers can be pretty asymptomatic till the end or till a point where they are hard to treat) and worse still they were capable of spreading the infection to others unknowingly.

Here is the thing you don't have to be able to cure a disease to be able to reduce the death rate. There is a thing called supportive care. Supportive care helps the body by buying time for the body's own immune system to work and clear the infection. For instance in the case of Trump only the antibody cocktail and remdivir were drugs targeted at the Virus itself all the rest were attempting to help the body deal with the problem.

Dexamethasone for instance reduces inflammation in the lungs and tempers the immune response(as there is evidence that COVID causes an over reaction of the immune system in server cases) and it causes inflation in the lungs.

He likely got an antibiotic(which is what azithromycin is) it helps prevent secondary infections. When you are ill with one pathogen say Covid, it can create conditions that allow another pathogen( say a bacterial lung infection) to take hold. The antibiotic would make it much more difficult for an bacteria to infect the lungs increasing the odds of a good recovery.

Oxygen is never given for comfort. It actually isn't a healthy substance. It is needed for life but it has some toxic effects too. Normal pulse Ox is between 95-100%. Oxygen is given when pulse oxy goes below 95%. Now a pulse ox of 90-94 isn't imminent danger but if it drops below 90% the bodies organs can get damaged, chief among them is the heart and brain(ironically other organs in the body can cope with low oxygen levels much better than those two). The short is that the low oxygen levels can result in the heart stopping which can lead to death so Oxygen is administered well before the danger point. Meaning that without the Oxygen, Trump could have continued to decline to the point of heart attack since his lungs were unable to take in enough oxygen from the Air to maintain normal oxygen levels. This is also why he got rushed to the hospital for more intensive treatments.

People don't go into the ICU and stay in the ICU for little problems.

This is also the big problem with letting this disease go unchecked. If the hospitals are full then you don't get the care you need to increase the odds of your survival due to drug, equipment, and staff shortages despite whatever condition or predispositions the patient was before he caught it(overweight, aged or diabetic). In short more people die than otherwise. A 20 year old in great shape that needs a little oxygen can wind up just as dead as an 70 year old who got everything and the kitchen sink thrown at the disease but didn't recover.

Oh and disease can cause death or increased disability many ways. For instance Diarrhea and vomiting can lead to dehydration or mineral imbalances(that can lead to death). Being unable to eat or hold down food can lead to mal nutrion and robs the body of the material it needs to fight the infection and heal. Fever can be problematic too because it can damage the body as well as cause dehydration. These are simple things that Medicine can do something about.

Last edited by chirack; 10-16-2020 at 11:01 PM..

Old 10-17-2020, 08:24 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,812,200 times
Quote:
If he was truly in the ICU, he'd be on a vent and seeing him today, doesn't look like a guy having a rough period for 7 days.

He was in the ICU because he has money and was scared. Not because he needed to be.
Oh lordy. You are so incredibly low information. I took care of many patients in ICU not on ventilators over my 25 year career as a Respiratory Therapist. Ever hear of Bipap and non-rebreather masks? High flow nasal cannulas?

You may think you're invincible but if you get the right viral load or the right strain of Covid? Lets talk to the male nurse that died from Covid after 3 months on a ventilator that had no pre- existing conditions. I'm sure he would tell you not to be so cavalier if he could. My friend was quite upset about it who works at the same hospital.

You may be lucky and be an asymptomatic carrier that spreads it to someone else who dies from it, but who cares as long as you're fine?

Perpetuating the spread by not doing the right thing is not in our countries best interest. This could have already been over had we had the right leadership and been like Taiwan.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:38 AM

724 posts, read 405,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Oh lordy. You are so incredibly low information. I took care of many patients in ICU not on ventilators over my 25 year career as a Respiratory Therapist. Ever hear of Bipap and non-rebreather masks? High flow nasal cannulas?

You may think you're invincible but if you get the right viral load or the right strain of Covid? Lets talk to the male nurse that died from Covid after 3 months on a ventilator that had no pre- existing conditions. I'm sure he would tell you not to be so cavalier if he could. My friend was quite upset about it who works at the same hospital.

You may be lucky and be an asymptomatic carrier that spreads it to someone else who dies from it, but who cares as long as you're fine?

Perpetuating the spread by not doing the right thing is not in our countries best interest. This could have already been over had we had the right leadership and been like Taiwan.
Agree. I have also known and talked to 2 people who personally had it. Both females, relatively healthy and in their early 40's (so relatively "young."). They both said they were essentially out of commission for about 1 month. Fever, really bad cough, sore throats, could not move much or they felt really out of breath. One of them has an inhaler (although she doesn't have chronic asthma, but I think a mild breathing condition that pops up occasionally) and she said she was constantly having to use her inhaler.

That does not sound fun to me at all. And that's before the unknowns about the long-term effects.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:13 AM

33,588 posts, read 18,199,670 times
This is America and I do wear a mask. I am no spring chicken. Some young ones get very sick from Covid too. Some don't. The problem was when Fauci was an idiot and told everyone not to wear a mask.. just wash your hands.. how does that protect you??? You breathe the virus into your nose and mouth. We don't lick surfaces. It is in the air.

Common sense is needed. Even if you test negative one day, does not mean you are not infected. It takes a few days to show up so that negative test is a failure some of the time. A few days later that infection shows up . Meanwhile one can spread it around without even knowing they are truly positive but the test said negative because it was too early to detect.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I’m glad he’s ok. When I heard he tested positive I assumed he’d have a bad case. He is super high risk.
He is a textbook example of how these risk factors apply to groups, not individuals.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:06 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,774,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
He is a textbook example of how these risk factors apply to groups, not individuals.

I don’t follow your reasoning why he’s a textbook example of how these risk factors apply to groups, not individuals. A person with his risk factors is exactly who is most likely to end up in the ICU when they get Covid.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:09 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,674,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Christie is an idiot for advocating that people listen to CDC and wear a mask.
So what should people do? Stay at least 6 ft. from everybody? Or do you strongly think doing that doesn't work, either?

Old 10-17-2020, 11:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I don’t follow your reasoning why he’s a textbook example of how these risk factors apply to groups, not individuals. A person with his risk factors is exactly who is most likely to end up in the ICU when they get Covid.
Obesity is a risk factor for Covid. Asthma may be a risk factor. Yet Christie seems to have had a fairly uncomplicated case. Just like being in a low risk group doesn't mean you're at NO risk. Individuals don't always follow the group projections. IOW, not every obese, asthmatic over 50 (Christie is 58) is going to have a severe case of Covid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies