Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 12:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,416,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Good god - it was a CREATIVE writing assignment. You know what else creative writing is called? Fiction.
The teacher didn't sound like it was meant to be a fictional writing assignment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 12:26 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,525,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You would have to ask the teacher what the guidelines for the assignment were.
No.

I'm asking YOU if all Facebook "statuses" are non-fiction?

Cuz if so, I need to know how one is currently "big pimpin'".

Old 08-21-2014, 12:28 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,102,241 times
Quote:
The teacher didn't sound like it was meant to be a fictional writing assignment.
And that whole dinosaur part isn't giving you the hint it was a fictional piece?

Old 08-21-2014, 12:34 PM

34,297 posts, read 15,820,821 times
All I want to know is Godzilla still in Japan or is he swimming to Ca. and expected to reach San Diego ? Did the kid in his story shoot just once and where is shot placement more effective. Was he subjected to massive amounts of Japanese movies ? Where was the thought police who could have been effective before he got it all down on paper ?

To many failures in the system of failures. Every Creative brain needs a good karate chop. Now get back in your seat and write about flowers you brute.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:41 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,460,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
A 16 year old high school student in South Carolina was suspended and arrested for writing a story about shooting a dinosaur. The teacher saw the word gun, freaked, and police were called to search his locker for a gun. He was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, and has a 1 week suspension from school. Good grief.

High school student says he was arrested for killing dinosaur in - NBC12.com - Richmond, VA News
the article notes "continued to be disruptive" so arrested.

Get off the jump to conclusion Matt, for one instant. . .

just go to proves when it comes to police, be calm, careful, polite

don't be a dick

your an irate dick, you get arrested

Old 08-21-2014, 12:43 PM

29,269 posts, read 22,658,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Yeah, because joking about shooting a non-existent dinosaur is a serious threat....

Give me a break. I don't blame the school for looking in to the situation, but if he was punished for it, that is completely asinine. This is what you get when you spread fear of an inanimate object..... insanity.
According to police Chief Rogers, it wasn't the student's post that got him arrested, it was his disruption.

I see a lot of mistakes that were made here.
The kid is a kid. In a perfect world, he would have made it more obvious he was writing about a fictional event, but since he was a kid, he failed to make the dinosaur mention clear enough.

The teacher over-reacted, and so did the kid. And then the cops over-reacted and then, the kid's mom. There was a bunch of CYA on all sides, too much.

Who's to blame? Personally, I blame the school principal, the single official who could have stopped it on all sides.
I also think that a few apologies would quickly end this kerfuffle, but they don't seem to be forthcoming.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:52 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,488,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The list is endless of those who wrote really dark stuff. A lot of it worth a lot of money today.

It's crazy that one guy in Colorado writes some negative stuff and we think the answer is to stop the other 2 million kids writing dark stories.

I have to think that Stephen King likely wrote some dark stuff as a high school student. He should have been arrested I guess and forced to understand that doing things like this is simply not acceptable.
2 million kids? I thought it was just the one!?

Old 08-21-2014, 12:56 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,208,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
A 16 year old high school student in South Carolina was suspended and arrested for writing a story about shooting a dinosaur. The teacher saw the word gun, freaked, and police were called to search his locker for a gun. He was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, and has a 1 week suspension from school. Good grief.

High school student says he was arrested for killing dinosaur in - NBC12.com - Richmond, VA News

No, he was arrested for disorderly conduct, not for writing he killed his neighbor's pet dinosaur, and he bought a gun for taking care of the business.

Summerville police officials say Stone's book bag and locker were searched on Tuesday, and a gun was not found. According to police, when Stone was asked by school officials about the comment written on the assignment, he became "very irate" and said it was a joke.

A Summerville Police Department report states that Stone continued to be disruptive and was placed in handcuffs, and was told that he was being detained for disturbing schools.

With people walking into schools with guns and offing kids, I can see how a teacher would be concerned with the kid's language.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:01 PM

79,911 posts, read 44,593,687 times
Quote:
Seeing this wasn't a fictional writing assignment, but it is a fact you guys seem to ignore.
It was to write a Facebook post. That can be anything.

Quote:
I would rather have the schools get involved in something that turns out to be nothing than to have them miss warning signs that turn out to be deadly.
When will we find the time to teach kids to read?

Old 08-21-2014, 01:08 PM

25,231 posts, read 17,049,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
No, he was arrested for disorderly conduct, not for writing he killed his neighbor's pet dinosaur, and he bought a gun for taking care of the business.

Summerville police officials say Stone's book bag and locker were searched on Tuesday, and a gun was not found. According to police, when Stone was asked by school officials about the comment written on the assignment, he became "very irate" and said it was a joke.

A Summerville Police Department report states that Stone continued to be disruptive and was placed in handcuffs, and was told that he was being detained for disturbing schools.

With people walking into schools with guns and offing kids, I can see how a teacher would be concerned with the kid's language.
If they had done that to me in school I would have been in the same boat and would have taught everyone some words my parents told me not to use. When confronted by the pure stupidity of the entire affair many people would simply lose it, I do not blame the kid one bit.

Now for the important questions:

What kind of Dinosaur was it?

What caliber of gun did he use?

Did he sit in a blind, his room or was he stalk it?

Did he go for a head, lung or heart shot?

Did he get it with one shot or did he have to track it and shoot it again?

Enquiring Minds want to know.

He is going to be laughing his arse off one day when he is selling books faster than he can write them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies