Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 03:18 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,380,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And yet when a kid brings a gun to school and shoots up other students, you guys act shocked and confused on why this wasn't caught sooner.
A vast generalization based on nothing more than trying to dig your way out of a hole. What exactly has "you guys" said in the past?

Quote:
Joking about getting business done with a gun isn't a funny joke. This isn't anything about being a police state, this is about understanding that we have a gun problem in our schools and it isn't good to overlook potential warning signs anymore.
There was no warning sign unless some of the students are dinosaurs. There aren't monsters under every bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 04:30 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,929,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post
Jesus Christ. Some people just love the police state, don't they?
It's a product of the culture of dependence that we are currently living in.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:40 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,061,908 times
Well this is an embarrassment for my area. Summerville High is up the road from me. I imagine the school will get sued (and lose) for this. But more troubling is why or how the cops could find anything at all to charge this student with. Disorderly conduct?? Seriously?? Then they would need to arrest Stephen King if he ever came to town because his fiction is quite a bit more violent than this student's dinosaur story. I know local media here and comments from people here have been lambasting the school and the police for their heavy handed reaction.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:44 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,108,385 times
Was someone in the school administration or on staff particularly sensitive about their age and saw this as a veiled threat?

Quote:
Joking about getting business done with a gun isn't a funny joke.
Especially when it focuses on doing that business with non-existent creatures! OMG! The horror!

Quote:
This isn't anything about being a police state, this is about understanding that we have a gun problem in our schools and it isn't good to overlook potential warning signs anymore.
We don't have a gun problem, we have a crazy people problem. And we have an irresponsible gun-owning parent problem. None of my guns have killed anyone. And yes, some are kept loaded and accessible within my home.

My 8 y o. asked yesterday if I'm going to teach her how to shoot. Should I immediately get her into therapy? Should I unload all my weapons and store the ammunition far from the firearms? Should I turn it all over to the police and not have such death-dealing devices in my family's living space? Eeek!

Old 08-21-2014, 06:04 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,934,586 times
Thumbs down *

Absolutely insane..........

I CANT STAND WHATS BECOME OF THIS STUPID COUNTRY!!!!!

Old 08-21-2014, 06:17 AM

43,923 posts, read 44,695,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
ridiculous.
Exactly!

Old 08-21-2014, 06:28 AM

39,934 posts, read 26,644,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
A 16 year old high school student in South Carolina was suspended and arrested for writing a story about shooting a dinosaur. The teacher saw the word gun, freaked, and police were called to search his locker for a gun. He was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, and has a 1 week suspension from school. Good grief.

High school student says he was arrested for killing dinosaur in - NBC12.com - Richmond, VA News
The teacher should have been fired and perhaps been required to see a shrink. He/she is obviously to stupid and unstable to be a teacher.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:28 AM

33,603 posts, read 18,252,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
A 16 year old high school student in South Carolina was suspended and arrested for writing a story about shooting a dinosaur. The teacher saw the word gun, freaked, and police were called to search his locker for a gun. He was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, and has a 1 week suspension from school. Good grief.

High school student says he was arrested for killing dinosaur in - NBC12.com - Richmond, VA News
In that case, we should all be executed for having a tv in our homes.. we see guns on tv, and see people killed and story lines that depict war, killing of dinosaurs, and such.

All people who write such things should be arrested for passing on such ideas. Our fingers should be chopped off if we shape our fingers into a gun and if we shape a pop tart into a gun it should be a felony. Teachers should ban all books with negative story lines. They should be arrested too.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:33 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,681,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Well this is an embarrassment for my area. Summerville High is up the road from me. I imagine the school will get sued (and lose) for this. But more troubling is why or how the cops could find anything at all to charge this student with. Disorderly conduct?? Seriously?? Then they would need to arrest Stephen King if he ever came to town because his fiction is quite a bit more violent than this student's dinosaur story. I know local media here and comments from people here have been lambasting the school and the police for their heavy handed reaction.
I agree 100%.

Those were the same thoughts I had when I heard the story this morning.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:34 AM

24,475 posts, read 23,172,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post
Jesus Christ. Some people just love the police state, don't they?
>>> They love it but also can't understand when it turns against them( Ferguson).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies