Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 08:24 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,918,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Nothing additional is coming out here on our local news to suggest there is more to the story. Time will tell I guess.
Schools typically do not disclose their side of a situation and protect the identity of minors.

Same deal with employers.

Nothing precludes any individual from taking their one-sided version of any story to social media and this somehow becomes news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 08:38 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,647,599 times
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...suspended.html

"At schools across the country, police are being asked to step in. In November, a food fight at a middle school in Chicago, Illinois, resulted in the arrests of 25 children, some as young as 11, according to the Chicago Police Department."

Girl arrested for writing on desk, kids arrested for putting stickers on walls....
Girl's arrest for doodling raises concerns about zero tolerance - CNN.com

Teachers aren't taking any flack anymore. They are bringing in officers now. It's a peak at the future.......

Parents are also being arrested for letting their kids play outside, or saying cuss words in public in front of their kids. It's a new day in America for sure.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:48 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,130,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Well this is an embarrassment for my area. Summerville High is up the road from me. I imagine the school will get sued (and lose) for this. But more troubling is why or how the cops could find anything at all to charge this student with. Disorderly conduct?? Seriously?? Then they would need to arrest Stephen King if he ever came to town because his fiction is quite a bit more violent than this student's dinosaur story. I know local media here and comments from people here have been lambasting the school and the police for their heavy handed reaction.
Like all news stories, we don't get the whole picture. My guess would be the "disorderly conduct" arrest had something to do with the student's behavior during the incident.

However, it's obvious that many people on here did not click on the link and read what little we do have. Here is the opening:

**Alex Stone said he and his classmates were told in class to write a few sentences about themselves, and a "status" as if it was a Facebook page.

Stone said in his "status" he wrote a fictional story that involved the words "gun" and "take care of business."

"I killed my neighbor's pet dinosaur, and, then, in the next status I said I bought the gun to take care of the business," Stone said.

It's not quite what the OP says.

With the Columbine shooters, apparently at least one of them wrote some really dark stuff, and the question that came up afterwards was "Why didn't the school see the signs?"

Old 08-21-2014, 08:54 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,479,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Unfortunately things like this can happen these days. Had the school done nothing and it turned out to be a cryptic message and the kid later brought a gun to school to "take care of business" then people would be calling out for the school to have done something to prevent this from happening and fault them for missing these signs.

If anything, the kid has learned a lesson about joking and when it is and isn't acceptable.
Uh, no, he hasn't. He's learned a lesson about how liberals are in general complete morons.

What he did is called creative writing. It wasn't a joke. It was science fiction. Ever heard of Jurassic Park? A multimillion dollar movie that included shooting dinosaurs?

He was writing a story. Generally speaking, then writing stories using imagination and creativity is supposed to be acceptable.

Unless, of course, the story is being read by a liberal. Then it appears that displaying a proper level of political correctness is more important that displaying imagination.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:54 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,066,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Schools typically do not disclose their side of a situation and protect the identity of minors.

Same deal with employers.

Nothing precludes any individual from taking their one-sided version of any story to social media and this somehow becomes news.
Hasn't stopped the schools around here before during other situations involving a student. So not sure that's accurate.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:56 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,066,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Like all news stories, we don't get the whole picture. My guess would be the "disorderly conduct" arrest had something to do with the student's behavior during the incident.

However, it's obvious that many people on here did not click on the link and read what little we do have. Here is the opening:

**Alex Stone said he and his classmates were told in class to write a few sentences about themselves, and a "status" as if it was a Facebook page.

Stone said in his "status" he wrote a fictional story that involved the words "gun" and "take care of business."

"I killed my neighbor's pet dinosaur, and, then, in the next status I said I bought the gun to take care of the business," Stone said.

It's not quite what the OP says.

With the Columbine shooters, apparently at least one of them wrote some really dark stuff, and the question that came up afterwards was "Why didn't the school see the signs?"
Only thing I read about that was the police said the student was upset his locker and bookbag was searched and they arrested him for disorderly conduct as a result. There was no further information provided on what being upset constituted.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:56 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,868,656 times
Really?

Old 08-21-2014, 09:04 AM

18,006 posts, read 15,698,517 times
Interesting story. I can remember writing stories in school for lit assignments that were...action /adventure oriented. Weapons of all kinds were central to the themes. Its just the kind of writing I liked to do. Somewhere in the story, there was going to be a fight, or several. My teacher never freaked out and called the cops. Always got As on my writing from her.

Firearms, blades, sci fi weapons like plasma rifles, all kinds of weapons were in my stories.. Nothing subliminal about it. Certainly not a reason to call the police. I gather that the 1st amendment does not apply to 16 yo students? Being as they can be arrested for writing a story, that seems to be the case.

Only stories about beautiful, utopian harmony, cultural diversity, and "tolerance" for various darlings of progressive thought, will be accepted. Anything with weapons, self reliance, and "incorrect thinking" is punishable by arrest. This is what we have come to. Sad....

Old 08-21-2014, 10:28 AM

5,673 posts, read 5,111,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Having said that, when I was a kid we played cops and robbers, cowboys and indians and all that other now politically incorrect kind of stuff. Most of my friends had BB guns (I didn't) and we all loved to watch cartoons like the roadrunner and the coyote on Saturday morning.

If what this kid wrote was a potential warning sign, then the kids I went to school with (including my self), all displayed warning signs that were much worse, on a weekly (if not daily basis) and yet there was no such thing as a gun problem (in or out of schools).
And I watched The Three Stooges - a lot! Yet I've never poked anyone's eyes out. But I will admit to the occasional urge to throw cream pies at formal dinner parties.

"Paging Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, and Dr. Howard"

Old 08-21-2014, 10:33 AM

156 posts, read 194,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
>>> They love it but also can't understand when it turns against them( Ferguson).
Sorry, but if anyone in the Ferguson situation could be accused of loving the police too much, I don't think it would be the protesters.

This doesn't have to be liberal vs. conservative issue, but as Middle-Aged Mom said, "nothing precludes any individual from taking their one-sided version of any story to social media."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies