Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 10:59 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,067,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Was someone in the school administration or on staff particularly sensitive about their age and saw this as a veiled threat?

Especially when it focuses on doing that business with non-existent creatures! OMG! The horror!

We don't have a gun problem, we have a crazy people problem. And we have an irresponsible gun-owning parent problem. None of my guns have killed anyone. And yes, some are kept loaded and accessible within my home.

My 8 y o. asked yesterday if I'm going to teach her how to shoot. Should I immediately get her into therapy? Should I unload all my weapons and store the ammunition far from the firearms? Should I turn it all over to the police and not have such death-dealing devices in my family's living space? Eeek!

This indeed. I grew up around guns in my home. I knew early on what they were capable of, and also learned at a young age to keep my damn hands off of stuff that didn't belong to me. I don't own one myself, but I do plan on obtaining one for home defense, (they're not cheap, and need to attend to other things first) as I am a firm supporter of defending myself, my property and a firm supporter in the 2nd Amendment. I digress. I have a former marine buddy who has a daughter turning 15, and a son who is 11 (my son's age). He has taught them how to shoot. IMO you aren't doing anything wrong, and in fact I see it as stressing the importance of gun safety early on in your kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 11:11 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,416,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
He was suspended and arrested.... There are ways to handled the situation without making the kid out to be a criminal.
Oh I think that part was wrong and over the top unfortunately. But I do see why it happened. Unfortunately we can't over look things that seem like nothing like this when there could be hints that it could lead to gun violence. I am sure if this had led to that, you all would be whining about not looking at the signs.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:12 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,416,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Uh, no, he hasn't. He's learned a lesson about how liberals are in general complete morons.

What he did is called creative writing. It wasn't a joke. It was science fiction. Ever heard of Jurassic Park? A multimillion dollar movie that included shooting dinosaurs?

He was writing a story. Generally speaking, then writing stories using imagination and creativity is supposed to be acceptable.

Unless, of course, the story is being read by a liberal. Then it appears that displaying a proper level of political correctness is more important that displaying imagination.
Then feel free to call the school and tell them that.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:15 AM

25,231 posts, read 17,049,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
What "color" was the dinosaur?

*Quietly leaves the thread*

Excellent idea.............................

Old 08-21-2014, 11:18 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,067,997 times
My son, like me likes to learn about WWII. Last year he wrote a short story about D-Day. As we all know the D-Day invasion was quite violent, and a lot of guns and heavy artillery on both sides were used. He showed it to his teacher (young, but also likes to learn about WWII). He and a buddy also paired up, and wrote a book about a war with zombies and shooting them. None of the teachers panicked or freaked out! All I can say is thank goodness some of the teachers in our district have some sense.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Uh, no, he hasn't. He's learned a lesson about how liberals are in general complete morons.

What he did is called creative writing. It wasn't a joke. It was science fiction. Ever heard of Jurassic Park? A multimillion dollar movie that included shooting dinosaurs?

He was writing a story. Generally speaking, then writing stories using imagination and creativity is supposed to be acceptable.

Unless, of course, the story is being read by a liberal. Then it appears that displaying a proper level of political correctness is more important that displaying imagination.
Oh good grief, is it a requirement for you to rant about Liberals on every topic, for all you know the teacher was an hardcore conservative, stupid knows no political or ideological bounds.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
My son, like me likes to learn about WWII. Last year he wrote a short story about D-Day. As we all know the D-Day invasion was quite violent, and a lot of guns and heavy artillery on both sides were used. He showed it to his teacher (young, but also likes to learn about WWII). He and a buddy also paired up, and wrote a book about a war with zombies and shooting them. None of the teachers panicked or freaked out! All I can say is thank goodness some of the teachers in our district have some sense.
As do most, cases such as this are rare, but they do get the attention.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:38 AM

79,911 posts, read 44,593,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Like all news stories, we don't get the whole picture. My guess would be the "disorderly conduct" arrest had something to do with the student's behavior during the incident.

However, it's obvious that many people on here did not click on the link and read what little we do have. Here is the opening:

**Alex Stone said he and his classmates were told in class to write a few sentences about themselves, and a "status" as if it was a Facebook page.

Stone said in his "status" he wrote a fictional story that involved the words "gun" and "take care of business."

"I killed my neighbor's pet dinosaur, and, then, in the next status I said I bought the gun to take care of the business," Stone said.

It's not quite what the OP says.

With the Columbine shooters, apparently at least one of them wrote some really dark stuff, and the question that came up afterwards was "Why didn't the school see the signs?"
The list is endless of those who wrote really dark stuff. A lot of it worth a lot of money today.

It's crazy that one guy in Colorado writes some negative stuff and we think the answer is to stop the other 2 million kids writing dark stories.

I have to think that Stephen King likely wrote some dark stuff as a high school student. He should have been arrested I guess and forced to understand that doing things like this is simply not acceptable.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:40 AM

79,911 posts, read 44,593,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Only thing I read about that was the police said the student was upset his locker and bookbag was searched and they arrested him for disorderly conduct as a result. There was no further information provided on what being upset constituted.
That would upset me also. I could see being very sarcastic over something like this as a student. "Seriously, my neighbor doesn't have a dinosaur, do you want to come over and have a look for yourself"?

Old 08-21-2014, 11:44 AM

17,914 posts, read 24,600,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Unfortunately things like this can happen these days. Had the school done nothing and it turned out to be a cryptic message and the kid later brought a gun to school to "take care of business" then people would be calling out for the school to have done something to prevent this from happening and fault them for missing these signs.

If anything, the kid has learned a lesson about joking and when it is and isn't acceptable.
Urbanlife78, huh? Do you realize the correlation with life in urban areas and gang related shootings? Didn't 9/11, in fact most terrorist plots, occur in urban areas?

Just to be on the safe side, let's call a SWAT team to your house and put you in Guantanmo, Mr. Urbanlife. If that IS your real name or just what the other jihadists and narco-terrorists call you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies