Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 11:44 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That would upset me also. I could see being very sarcastic over something like this as a student. "Seriously, my neighbor doesn't have a dinosaur, do you want to come over and have a look for yourself"?
What if the neighbor had a large dog that the kid always referred to it as being a dinosaur? Which the kid wasn't asked to write something fictional and decided to write a joke that caused him some backlash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 11:45 AM

156 posts, read 193,529 times
Quote:
What if the neighbor had a large dog that the kid always referred to it as being a dinosaur?
This is painful to watch. Please stop.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 20 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,535,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
A vast generalization based on nothing more than trying to dig your way out of a hole. What exactly has "you guys" said in the past?

There was no warning sign unless some of the students are dinosaurs. There aren't monsters under every bed.
While i agree it was an overreaction, kids do tend to use fictional creatures to describe real people or things when they are mad. Its a way of expressing one's self without naming anyone in particular.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Urbanlife78, huh? Do you realize the correlation with life in urban areas and gang related shootings? Didn't 9/11, in fact most terrorist plots, occur in urban areas?

Just to be on the safe side, let's call a SWAT team to your house and put you in Guantanmo, Mr. Urbanlife. If that IS your real name or just what the other jihadists and narco-terrorists call you.
Huh? What are you going on about? Try and stay on topic, and almost no one in this site goes by their actual name, unless your name is ABQConvict.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:48 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Interesting story. I can remember writing stories in school for lit assignments that were...action /adventure oriented. Weapons of all kinds were central to the themes. Its just the kind of writing I liked to do. Somewhere in the story, there was going to be a fight, or several. My teacher never freaked out and called the cops. Always got As on my writing from her.

Firearms, blades, sci fi weapons like plasma rifles, all kinds of weapons were in my stories.. Nothing subliminal about it. Certainly not a reason to call the police. I gather that the 1st amendment does not apply to 16 yo students? Being as they can be arrested for writing a story, that seems to be the case.

Only stories about beautiful, utopian harmony, cultural diversity, and "tolerance" for various darlings of progressive thought, will be accepted. Anything with weapons, self reliance, and "incorrect thinking" is punishable by arrest. This is what we have come to. Sad....
The assignment was to write a personal story, not fiction.

In all likelihood, this kid decided to have some fun with the assignment.

Now let's just say a few weeks from now, this kid decides to become the next mass schools shooter. His paper would likely be uncovered during the investigation that would follow. How many would then say it was an early warning of what was to come and blame the school for not taking it seriously.

Schools are a reflection of the students, families and communities they serve.

And we will likely never know all the sides to this story.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post
This is painful to watch. Please stop.
Well this thread is ridiculous, and you are welcome to not read it. It doesn't change the fact that we have way too many school shootings these days and teachers shouldn't overlook potential warning signs.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:50 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
My 12 yr old son writes all the time about hunting or gun ownership and we've never had the cops come kick our door in. Don't expect it in the future either.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:51 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,021,348 times
Well, lawyers are now involved. Not a shocker there.

Attorney: Summerville student's arrest stemmed from creative writing assignment - Post and Courier
Quote:
The attorney representing a 16-year-old Summerville High School student arrested at school on Tuesday is asserting his client's arrest and suspension stem from a fictional story about a dinosaur the student wrote as part of a school assignment.

Attorney David Aylor, in a news release issued Thursday, said his client's parents are "perplexed and disappointed" over their son's suspension and arrest in connection with a creative writing assignment.

"My client wrote about a fictional story that involved a neighbor's dinosaur and a gun," Aylor said in the statement. "The arrest of my client is completely absurd."

Old 08-21-2014, 11:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What if the neighbor had a large dog that the kid always referred to it as being a dinosaur? Which the kid wasn't asked to write something fictional and decided to write a joke that caused him some backlash.
Maybe we should have a school full of Mr Hand's to come over and babysit every kid? I might have even wrote a story as a kid about offing the neighbors barking dog. So what?

What other type's of stories will cause you to send the police to a students house over? There goes the creative writing class.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:53 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
While i agree it was an overreaction, kids do tend to use fictional creatures to describe real people or things when they are mad. Its a way of expressing one's self without naming anyone in particular.

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but isn't expressing it in fiction better than acting out? Sometimes when you're p***ed off you need an outlet, or you may just go off the deep end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies