Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 09:43 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,247,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
I don't think states should be forcing businesses against their will if they do not feel comfortable about this.
No state forces anyone to open a business. The state says "here are the rules if you want to open a business". A person CHOOSES to open a business and by choosing to open a business they accept the rules for doing business set forth by the state.

I CHOSE to get a drivers license, by doing so I accepted the rules of driving. If I break those rules I get punished. By choosing to get a business license business owners accept the rules of operating a business, if they break the rules, they get punished. Don't want to follow the rules don't open a business.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
An erroneous assumption on your part. There is no law or regulation that requires any business to serve the public. I have been in business for 25 years, and I do not serve the public.
Quote:
All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.
(b) Establishments affecting interstate commerce or supported in their activities by State action as places of public accommodation; lodgings; facilities principally engaged in selling food for consumption on the premises; gasoline stations; places of exhibition or entertainment; other covered establishments
Each of the following establishments which serves the public is a place of public accommodation within the meaning of this subchapter if its operations affect commerce, or if discrimination or segregation by it is supported by State action:
(1) any inn, hotel, motel, or other establishment which provides lodging to transient guests, other than an establishment located within a building which contains not more than five rooms for rent or hire and which is actually occupied by the proprietor of such establishment as his residence;
(2) any restaurant, cafeteria, lunchroom, lunch counter, soda fountain, or other facility principally engaged in selling food for consumption on the premises, including, but not limited to, any such facility located on the premises of any retail establishment; or any gasoline station;
(3) any motion picture house, theater, concert hall, sports arena, stadium or other place of exhibition or entertainment; and
(4) any establishment
(A)
(i) which is physically located within the premises of any establishment otherwise covered by this subsection, or
(ii) within the premises of which is physically located any such covered establishment, and
(B) which holds itself out as serving patrons of such covered establishment.
42 U.S. Code § 2000a - Prohibition against discrimination or segregation in places of public accommodation | LII / Legal Information Institute

You were saying?

Old 01-30-2014, 09:46 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,773,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No state forces anyone to open a business. The state says "here are the rules if you want to open a business". A person CHOOSES to open a business and by choosing to open a business they accept the rules for doing business set forth by the state.

I CHOSE to get a drivers license, by doing so I accepted the rules of driving. If I break those rules I get punished. By choosing to get a business license business owners accept the rules of operating a business, if they break the rules, they get punished. Don't want to follow the rules don't open a business.
I should have clarified, I meant that the government shouldn't be forcing a business to provide service.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I should have clarified, I meant that the government shouldn't be forcing a business to provide service.
The government is not forcing any business to provide any service. Businesses are perfectly free to not provide wedding services. If a business chooses to provide wedding services, they can not discriminate on who they will provide those services to.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:16 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,799,742 times
Quote:
In bold:
And once again, there are over 2 billion Christians and 38,000 denominations. They don't all agree on that view, and it certainly isn't a valid (or legal) reason to discriminate in a secular country.

Gays are part of families too. I would think more Christians would encourage marriage among gays, for the sole reason that it promotes stability and safety. Gays aren't going to just turn straight, because gay marriage is illegal, nor can most humans commit to a life of celibacy.

I have gay co-workers who have been in a monogamous relationship with their partner for 20+ years, one of the couples sleeps in separate beds. They are far far far less promiscuous than any straight person/couple I know.

This ultimately boils down to one thing: Prejudice against an easy target. Gays are different. Most people can't relate to what gays go through and they live in a black and white world. It's easy to cherry pick a few multi-thousand year old legalistic Bible verses to condemn a group of people doing something you can't relate to and will never be guilty of committing yourself, while ignoring the multitude of one's own sins that are far more explicitly condemned in the Bible. And it causes demonstrable issues to a large group of humanity. God's not going to pat anyone on the back for causing pain and suffering among LGBT people.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:22 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,799,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
An erroneous assumption on your part. There is no law or regulation that requires any business to serve the public. I have been in business for 25 years, and I do not serve the public.
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 defines when a business falls under "public accommodation". A restaurant or hotel by their very nature serves the public.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:32 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,263,845 times
And so what? Why shouldnt I have the right to deny business to anyone?

Remember the old signs "NO SHOES NO SHIRT NO SERVICE"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
And your business in not a religion.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:33 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,271,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
And so what? Why shouldnt I have the right to deny business to anyone?

Remember the old signs "NO SHOES NO SHIRT NO SERVICE"?
Remember sanitation laws?

If you've got a problem with that, take it up with your local health board. Not a discrimination thing. But nice try.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:36 AM

And society 90% of the time has its collective head up its a&#!

If people can't make their own minds up because of society, thats a real shame.
yeah prejedices are disgusting, too bad the left doesn't see it that way.
I.e. governor Cuomo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
No.. society has decided that prejudice is just wrong..

WE are the government..

People have fought, through the decades, for equal treatment under the law - laws that protect people from other peoples prejudice and bigotry.....

If you want to only serve a certain kind.. then don't go into business.. period.

Prejudices are disgusting... practice what you believe in your own home, but leave that at home... whether you agree with someone or a position shouldn't stop you from treating them with dignity.. we are all humans being first..followed by all the other labels after...... As such, we all deserve to be treated with respect and dignity when we walk into a place of business..

Old 01-30-2014, 10:38 AM

what do sanitation laws have to do with "NO SHOES NO SHIRT NO SERVICE"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Remember sanitation laws?

If you've got a problem with that, take it up with your local health board. Not a discrimination thing. But nice try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies