Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 11:18 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,777,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
They have every right to not have a same-sex marriage if it violates their conscience. That doesn't give them the right to tell other people they can't.

When interracial marriage bans were declared Unconstitutional, 80% of Americans opposed them. And yet, we re-defined marriage against their wishes. That's the way a Constitutional Republic works. Don't like it, move to a country that has a different method of governing.
I'm speaking in context of gender, not race as a Christian marriage did not have any definition pertaining to skin color or race.

It isn't so much they can't marry, but most will see that marriage between one man and one woman as fit.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:21 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,824,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
I'm speaking in context of gender, not race as a Christian marriage did not have any definition pertaining to skin color or race.
Says who? Conservatives love to claim this country was founded on Christianity and blacks weren't allowed to marry.

Quote:
It isn't so much they can't marry, but most will see that marriage between one man and one woman as fit.
That's because it's the most common arrangement. But them viewing it that way doesn't give them the authority to keep same-sex marriage illegal. And as I mentioned, more than half of Christians in this country support SSM.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Says who? Conservatives love to claim this country was founded on Christianity and blacks weren't allowed to marry.

Maybe in its values, not as whole. Our founders can be considered deists. Conservatives didn't allow them to marry? That was their law, not on the basis of their faith.

That's because it's the most common arrangement. But them viewing it that way doesn't give them the authority to keep same-sex marriage illegal. And as I mentioned, more than half of Christians in this country support SSM.

You speak for all Christians in this country? I know I don't. Not the Christians I know.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
It was on the basis of many people's faith. Many Christians cite their religious beliefs as reasons why they oppose mixed marriages.

Loving v. Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The trial judge in the case, Leon M. Bazile, echoing Johann Friedrich Blumenbach's 18th-century interpretation of race:

“ Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix."

I'm not speaking for all Christians. I'm going by the polls.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:46 AM

Yes I know. Like I said, it was on the basis of his interpretation, not from Christianity.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Yes I know. Like I said, it was on the basis of his interpretation, not from Christianity.
But God did in fact separate the races. Therefore it is Biblically based. The prohibition against same-sex marriage is based on interpretation too. Jesus didn't say a word about same-sex marriage or gays. You're presenting a double standard here.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
But God did in fact separate the races. Therefore it is Biblically based. The prohibition against same-sex marriage is based on interpretation too. Jesus didn't say a word about same-sex marriage or gays. You're presenting a double standard here.
Based on what? I've never heard about God separating the races. All I heard in their belief was that Noah's sons went to different places after the flood.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:54 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,964,271 times
Quote:
Actually different races evolved after leaving Africa.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:57 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,544,196 times
As I said, "There is no law or regulation that requires any business to serve the public." Reading comprehension is obviously a skill you lack. As sole-propriety, I decide to whom I will offer my services and at what cost. No government can compel me to provide a service to someone against my will.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:58 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,771,649 times
Quote:

Jesus said this when giving the definition of marriage..............."a man shall leave his father and mother and cling to his wife and they shall become one in flesh "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies