Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 06:16 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,527,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
The point is, when you have a PUBLIC business, you serve the PUBLIC.. all kinds.. no matter who or what you like or dislike for whatever reason.

I already acknowledged that churches are a differnet animal.. that a clergy or church shouldn't be forced to do what they feel is against their religion....

However, a public business owner checks all prejudices at the door when he opens a public business.

If we allowed everyone to operate on their own "beliefs" you'd have people who felt single mothers weren't right, or they didn't like muslims because of their beliefs, or they didn't like black people discriminating against anyone they didin't like.
Public businesses don't check all their prejudices at the door. Government decides who can't be refused service.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:23 AM

577 posts, read 437,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Public businesses don't check all their prejudices at the door. Government decides who can't be refused service.
No.. society has decided that prejudice is just wrong..

WE are the government..

People have fought, through the decades, for equal treatment under the law - laws that protect people from other peoples prejudice and bigotry.....

If you want to only serve a certain kind.. then don't go into business.. period.

Prejudices are disgusting... practice what you believe in your own home, but leave that at home... whether you agree with someone or a position shouldn't stop you from treating them with dignity.. we are all humans being first..followed by all the other labels after...... As such, we all deserve to be treated with respect and dignity when we walk into a place of business..

Old 01-30-2014, 06:47 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,017,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Actually, much of Christianity accepts gay marriage. The Bible never specifically says same-sex couples cannot get married. And not everyone takes the Bible as literal or inerrant.

Fundamentalism is not the majority view of Christianity.

Given the numerous interpretations of Christianity alone, as well as the Bible, how can you? That doesn't mean that I don't have Faith, but a lot of stuff is man-made.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:51 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,363,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Oh wow! Just like straight men do to women every day all over the world!

You poor little thing. You must have been terrified.

Straight men jump into the shower with women at the YMCA every day, eh? That's interesting. Please do keep posting. Comedy is enjoyable.

Well, if liberals have their way all they need to do is say they're transgender and they can't be stopped anyway. Yay liberalism! It's so hip! It's so cool! It's so progressive!

Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,773,841 times
Quote:
If we allowed everyone to operate on their own "beliefs" you'd have people who felt single mothers weren't right, or they didn't like muslims because of their beliefs, or they didn't like black people discriminating against anyone they didin't like.
I'm not sure what Islam believes other than not allowing pork in their diets but serving people is very different than participating in an event.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
I'm not sure what Islam believes other than not allowing pork in their diets but serving people is very different than participating in an event.

Exactly.. and when you have a business, you are serving people.. you are NOT a guest, you are NOT participating.. you were hired to serve or provide some sort of service for the event.

AS indicated, churchs that are participating by doing the ceremony is a completely different thing.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:20 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,527,584 times
Quote:
No.. society has decided that prejudice is just wrong..

WE are the government..

People have fought, through the decades, for equal treatment under the law - laws that protect people from other peoples prejudice and bigotry.....

If you want to only serve a certain kind.. then don't go into business.. period.

Prejudices are disgusting... practice what you believe in your own home, but leave that at home... whether you agree with someone or a position shouldn't stop you from treating them with dignity.. we are all humans being first..followed by all the other labels after...... As such, we all deserve to be treated with respect and dignity when we walk into a place of business..
No... society through government has decided that certain types of prejudice is illegal. If I don't like the color of your eyes, your clothes, your weight, your political views, bye-bye. Legally.

Even discrimination based on sexual orientation is legal in most states.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Straight men jump into the shower with women at the YMCA every day, eh? That's interesting. Please do keep posting. Comedy is enjoyable.

Well, if liberals have their way all they need to do is say they're transgender and they can't be stopped anyway. Yay liberalism! It's so hip! It's so cool! It's so progressive!
Oh come on.. you know what that means.

So, the man that goes to the YMCA can't get in the shower and take a shower? Gay men have coexisted alongside straight men in bathroom showers for a long time. Hell, you've probably showered next to a gay man a few times and would never even know he was gay.

As for her comment.. she was clearly stating the same thing I stated previously.Women are advanced on by men throughout our entire lives. I've had crude sexual comments made at me, and men grabbing my boobs and butt uninvited.. it makes them pigs with no manners but it doesn't neccesarily make them a sexual predator either.

THose behaviors are not just characteristic of homosexuals.. it's just men being men.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
No... society through government has decided that certain types of prejudice is illegal. If I don't like the color of your eyes, your clothes, your weight, your political views, bye-bye. Legally.

Even discrimination based on sexual orientation is legal in most states.

And you think this is okay?

News for you.. eventually that discrimination WILL Be illegal.. and the movement is already in full swing and making strides.

IT's NOT okay to be prejudice against ANYONE.. for ANY reason whatsoever. The fact that you are defending it ..well disgusts me...

Yet, I would still serve you regardless of your prejudices and your beliefs.. because you have an EQUAL right to service as anyone else.....

Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,756,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Bills filed in the South Dakota and Kansas legislatures seek to protect clergy, church officials and businesspeople who refuse to provide services for same-sex marriages or receptions because of their religious beliefs.

The bills would prevent clergy or businesses from being forced to perform or supply goods or services to anything related to same-sex marriages. It could allow a business to refuse to host a reception for a same-sex couple legally married in another state.

The bills also say clergy and businesses could not be sued or charged with crimes if they refused to take part in gay marriages.

Kinda like when you have the right to swing your fists all you want, but that right ends at the tip of my nose....
Good law.

Some would want to be able to touch my nose without repercussions. To that I say, not on your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies