Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 04:38 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,353,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Who is saying that?

When did this become discriminating race or sexual orientation?
That happens the minute a liberal comes into the thread. It's like clockwork.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:57 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,327,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And the business CHOSE to offer custom made cakes to the public. No one forced them to offer that service.
I'm going to state my case one more time, and then I'm done with this discussion with you, because you seem not to want to understand, or you simply cannot understand simple truths.

When one does CUSTOM WORK for another party, there is a contractual agreement between them for the work. There is an offer to perform a service, and there is an acceptance of the offer. This is not the case with mass production of products for sale "off the shelf." This is what we in business call a "one off" (one of a kind).

The choice to provide or perform a CUSTOM SERVICE for an individual or party should rest entirely with the provider of that service. One cannot be forced into service against his will, according to Amendment XIII Section 1, which states:
"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."
As a secondary argument, in this case, the baker would be forced to create a CUSTOM PRODUCT to a party which according to his religion and his religious convictions are in a sinful, and unhealthy relationship, and entering into one that he, as a Christian, believes is a perversion of the right of Holy Matrimony, and thus forcing him to dignify that relationship, therby causing him also to sin and to mock God.

This is so clear that the judge that ruled in favor of the homosexual couple ought to be removed from the bench and disbarred.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 01-30-2014 at 05:11 AM..

Old 01-30-2014, 05:02 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,449,477 times
I just realized this is part of one of the grand conservative/liberal debates: when push comes to shove in a situation such as this, who should have more freedom in their actions, the people in power, or their customers/employees/the public?

Old 01-30-2014, 05:23 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,353,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I just realized this is part of one of the grand conservative/liberal debates: when push comes to shove in a situation such as this, who should have more freedom in their actions, the people in power, or their customers/employees/the public?
The thing I find odd is this....

If I go into a business and they want to refuse service to me because of who I am or whatever reason I basically say fine you can get bent and I'll take my money and business elsewhere. I don't understand why people try to force businesses that don't want to work with them to do so. Apparently they need to be screaming in someone's face and in the headlines all the time. I knew a kid in high school who worked at a restaurant. If people would tick him off he'd urinate in their food. Who wants to take that risk?

Old 01-30-2014, 05:37 AM

577 posts, read 436,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Are you saying that states should be forcing businesses to provide a service in the last part?

You've misunderstood by what I meant about people reading the Bible. Not everything in the Bible is appropriate in modern times. However when it comes to family life, most Christians believe a valid marriage would be between a man and a woman as they can both create a child.

Unlike you I don't want to put people in a tricky situation that doesn't align with their beliefs. It is not a moral way of doing business.
The point is, when you have a PUBLIC business, you serve the PUBLIC.. all kinds.. no matter who or what you like or dislike for whatever reason.

I already acknowledged that churches are a differnet animal.. that a clergy or church shouldn't be forced to do what they feel is against their religion....

However, a public business owner checks all prejudices at the door when he opens a public business.

If we allowed everyone to operate on their own "beliefs" you'd have people who felt single mothers weren't right, or they didn't like muslims because of their beliefs, or they didn't like black people discriminating against anyone they didin't like.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:46 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,257,846 times
religion is not a business

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How is it freedom if someone can deny service to someone because of their sexuality? If you are running a business, the only thing that rules is colored green. If that person is a paying customer then there is no freedoms being violated by serving that paying customer.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:57 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,266,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Homosexuals are sexual preditors. That is their nature. Don't tell me it isn't, because I have experienced it. The notes slipped under the door of my room at the YMCA when I was in art school, the guy that just happens to need to take a shower when I'm in their, jumping in and starting to play with himslef. Yes, they do that. Don't tell me they don't.
Oh wow! Just like straight men do to women every day all over the world!

You poor little thing. You must have been terrified.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So because you feel icky about it, I have to change?
No, because the local health department feels icky about it.

Duh.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
religion is not a business
And your business in not a religion.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:07 AM

577 posts, read 436,444 times
Let's put it this way;... I don't like right wing conservatives because their "religious" beliefs are NOT in line with mine (For example, the Jesus I believe in would never be against universal health care)..

As such, I don't thinkt hey are "Right" so I don't want to serve any right wing conservative because I believe they are not godly.... or do not follow the same religious beliefs as me..

Of course, this is an exageration.. but you see my point. When serving the public you check your own religious beliefs at the door in your business.. You serve everyone that comes in equally regardless of what their age, race, sex, sexual orientation or religious orientations are.

Whether you sit down and have a friendly chat or lunch with them or invite themto your home, etc is a completely different thing....but as a public business you are making a social contract to serve everyone equally regardless of your own personal likes, dislikes, beleifs or prejudices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies