Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 05:08 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Actually, much of Christianity accepts gay marriage. The Bible never specifically says same-sex couples cannot get married. And not everyone takes the Bible as literal or inerrant.

Fundamentalism is not the majority view of Christianity.

Your definition of............much....?

Old 01-29-2014, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,255 times
Freedom of religion means being free to live your own life according to your religious beliefs. It does not mean being free to force other people to live their lives according to your beliefs. Any homophobic "christian" business that wants the "right" to discriminate against gay people should be required by law to publicly advertise its discrimination policy, so that members of the public can make an informed choice on whether they in turn want to discriminate against that business. Homophobes will soon realise that wanting to unjustly discriminate against others will bring its own discrimination against them. So instead of discriminating perhaps they should learn to mind their own business and try to act like grown-ups and professionals.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:11 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
Defending gay marriage just because............" they were born that way" .......is lame.

Pedophiles were...."were born that way.......also but I don't see people urging the state to come up with a way to sanction their abnormal behavior .

Old 01-29-2014, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Defending gay marriage just because............" they were born that way" .......is lame.

Pedophiles were...."were born that way.......also but I don't see people urging the state to come up with a way to sanction their abnormal behavior .
Trying to compare adult homosexuality to child abuse is as ridiculous as trying to compare adult heterosexuality to child abuse. Children must always be protected and kept safe from predators. It's extremely concerning if someone cannot seem to rationalize any difference between a consenting adult relationship and the abuse of child, and it's pretty lame and transparent when they pretend they cannot rationalize any such difference just so that they can try to justify their own ignorant homophobia.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:37 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And as others have said, you don't impose your private faith on others in a civil society.
You also don't put people into situations that don't align with their beliefs.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:58 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktah10 View Post
Trying to compare adult homosexuality to child abuse is as ridiculous as trying to compare adult heterosexuality to child abuse. Children must always be protected and kept safe from predators. It's extremely concerning if someone cannot seem to rationalize any difference between a consenting adult relationship and the abuse of child, and it's pretty lame and transparent when they pretend they cannot rationalize any such difference just so that they can try to justify their own ignorant homophobia.
Homosexuals are sexual preditors. That is their nature. Don't tell me it isn't, because I have experienced it. The notes slipped under the door of my room at the YMCA when I was in art school, the guy that just happens to need to take a shower when I'm in their, jumping in and starting to play with himslef. Yes, they do that. Don't tell me they don't.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:58 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Your definition of............much....?
Depends on the country/population. Half of Catholics and probably at least half of mainline protestants in the US support SSM. It's mainly Evangelicals (which Fundamentalists fall under) that oppose it. 70% of Jews also support SSM.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:03 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Right, but this was more of how the state interpreted it, not what Christianity said itself.
No, it's how humans interpreted the Bible and used it as justification for their racism. Just like anti-gays do as justification for their hatred of gays.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:06 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
It is not involuntary servitude when the bakery VOLUNTARILY CHOSE to offer wedding cakes for sale to the general public. No one forced the baker to offer wedding cakes. He can decide at any time to stop selling wedding cakes. What he can not do is choose to not sell wedding cakes to a specific segment of the population while selling them to everyone else.
You must have ignored the part where I said they were CUSTOME MADE. No surprise.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:07 PM

577 posts, read 435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post

What belief structure said black people carried diseases?? This is new to me.

Christian faith doesn't recognize gay marriage as a valid marriage nor do they allow those who follow it to acknowledge it. It is documented in the Bible.
LOL. so is women being hte lesser of the two sexes.. there are many things documented in the bible that would make people scratch their heads.. so why do you pick and choose which parts of the Bible to use to discriminate??

AS for not knowing that many people believed that blacks carried different diseases..LOL.. I suggest you read some literature about that time period and particularly the South and their attitudes toward Black folks..

Either way, they had a belief system that made them feel that Blacks were inferior and shouldn't mix with "their kind"..... doesn't make their discrimination of them right , just or acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies