Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 02:18 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,460,342 times

Advertisements

how effed up are some people. its disgusting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 02:26 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I not only LOVE Rolling Stone (25 year subscriber), and will not boycott it by any means, I'm not gonna cast aspersions until I read the piece.

So he wasn't the best choice for the cover....intended to provoke I'm sure. But I'm not gonna get heartburn over it.
Provoke what? Sympathy?

You do realize that that is exactly what this is about.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:27 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Ugh, Britney Spears was on the cover. Talent has nothing to do with it.
Wait, Brittney Spears still has a career?

Old 07-17-2013, 02:29 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
Why is this more outrageous than ass cracks and big fake t i tt ies on magazine covers?
This is the perfect storm of freedom of the press, capitalism (sell more magazines), and a boycott call by people who never buy Rolling Stone. I'm outraged by violence in Somalia and refuse to go there and am also boycotting Beluga caviar.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
The caption calls him a monster.

If you write a story about someone, why is it wrong to publish his photo?

Do you oppose books with Hitler's likeness on it

You guys are wayyy to skin thinned. Man up.
I believe this photo is from his Facebook page so this is how the killer wants to project himself. How about we at least not do him this favor. Hmmm?

Old 07-17-2013, 02:33 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
how effed up are some people. its disgusting
I agree, people who get more worked up over a silly magazine cover than easily avoidable wars of choice are effed up!

Old 07-17-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Whining about a picture on a magazine without even knowing what's written inside is typical self-Righteous "We don't need no steenking facts as a reason to whine" BS.
Martin Richard lived 7 doors down from me. I knew him, I know his family, and in a few more months I will be seeing little Jane out in the front yard trying to get around on her prosthesis. I couldn't give two f---s what's inside.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:45 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They are putting the surviving Boston Marathon bomber on the cover.....

Boston bombing suspect on cover of Rolling Stone - CNN.com

I won't read the magazine again, not even if the choice is that or Knitting World at my dentists office.
He kind of looks like a Rock Star in that photo too. With the long, curly, hair.

I'm pretty sure he's going to get a lot of American female fans from that cover photo. It's a good photo of him and he was a good looking young man.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:46 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
If that's the case, I imagine those people will be sorely disappointed that within the magazine lies an actual article with words. Like you said, Rolling Stone has done good journalism in the past. And as others have noted, this isn't the first time they've gone with a provocative cover shot. Remember this one? I wasn't terribly disappointed the day this showed up in my mailbox (I had a subscription back in 95/96):

Also, it won't be every supermarket, because CVS has evidently claimed a holier-than-thou, false moral high ground and won't sell it. Reminds me of when Walmart changed the cover on In Utero. Boy, did that stop people.
The printed page now has to compete with online competitors, so it is not surprising that they would have this in mind when they choose a front cover.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:47 PM

592 posts, read 461,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
That cover should help newstand sales. That is what it is supposed to do. I expect no more or less from business.
Well, if it's really their worldview that monetary profits are more important than saving innocent lives from future wannabe terrorist-celebrities, that is really godd*mned sad. I strongly agree with a previous poster who suggested that we also show images of those people who were permanently maimed by these crooked *ssholes if we're going to advertise/glorify the image of one of the *ssholes himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies