Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 01:04 PM

13,495 posts, read 18,297,331 times

Advertisements

Would the story itself be offensive, or is it only that he has a portrait photo on the cover?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 01:11 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,214,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Maybe read the article and then decide what you think is their objective.
The front page is what is marketed to sell publications. It is what is put out front and center to attract consumers. I'll be that young teen girls that never thought to purchase Rolling Stone will be buying this particular issue.

Apparently, I'm not alone in my opinion and we are all entitled to our opinions. I'm calling this one sensationalism and pandering to teeny boppers.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:14 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,717,615 times
[quote=Hot_Handz;30527015]Yea I saw that...the caption is almost sympathetic too... "How his family failed him"...

Yup, "We're all Osama now" I suppose. It's not just the parents, we are all guilty, in our own small way. <sniff> How terrible are we, those who have failed these <sniff> murdering terrorists? Oh, to go back and make things right again... please.... rolling Stones magazine writer, tell us where we failed BA-WHAAAAAA /sob

Old 07-17-2013, 01:16 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,691,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The front page is what is marketed to sell publications. It is what is put out front and center to attract consumers. I'll be that young teen girls that never thought to purchase Rolling Stone will be buying this particular issue.

Apparently, I'm not alone in my opinion and we are all entitled to our opinions. I'm calling this one sensationalism and pandering to teeny boppers.
Now this made me laugh. Is there a teen girl in the world who even reads print magazines, let alone Rolling Stone?! You really hit it out of the park with that one; apparently you can't even concoct a good conspiracy. Find more important things to worry about.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:20 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,214,684 times
Quote:
Now this made me laugh. Is there a teen girl in the world who even reads print magazines, let alone Rolling Stone?! You really hit it out of the park with that one; apparently you can't even concoct a good conspiracy. Find more important things to worry about.
Who the hell said anything about a conspiracy...you are barking op the wrong tree on that one. The magazine will be in your face at every supermarket and drugstore and I've seen way too many young people lap up celebrity rags. This cover is just the ticket for that market.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:26 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,691,950 times
Quote:
Who the hell said anything about a conspiracy...you are barking op the wrong tree on that one. The magazine will be in your face at every supermarket and drugstore and I've seen way too many young people lap up celebrity rags. This cover is just the ticket for that market.
If that's the case, I imagine those people will be sorely disappointed that within the magazine lies an actual article with words. Like you said, Rolling Stone has done good journalism in the past. And as others have noted, this isn't the first time they've gone with a provocative cover shot. Remember this one? I wasn't terribly disappointed the day this showed up in my mailbox (I had a subscription back in 95/96):

Also, it won't be every supermarket, because CVS has evidently claimed a holier-than-thou, false moral high ground and won't sell it. Reminds me of when Walmart changed the cover on In Utero. Boy, did that stop people.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 03:45 PM..

Old 07-17-2013, 01:28 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,183,924 times
Quote:
Will Playboy use a nude shot of him next?
I can only hope so! LOL.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:29 PM

68,410 posts, read 54,725,794 times
Quote:
If that's the case, I imagine those people will be sorely disappointed that within the magazine lies an actual article with words. Like you said, Rolling Stone has done good journalism in the past. And as others have noted, this isn't the first time they've gone with a provocative cover shot. Remember this one? I wasn't terribly disappointed the day this showed up in my mailbox (I had a subscription back in 95/96):

Also, it won't be every supermarket, because CVS has evidently claimed a holier-than-thou, false moral high ground and won't sell it. Reminds me of when Walmart changed the cover on In Utero. Boy, did that stop people.

This 'issue' will no doubt have a shorter lifespan than an issue of Rolling Stone, soon there'll be feigned outrage about some new meaningless 'issue'.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:45 PM

79,287 posts, read 61,380,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
This 'issue' will no doubt have a shorter lifespan than an issue of Rolling Stone, soon there'll be feigned outrage about some new meaningless 'issue'.
Feigned outrage?

Explain to me why you are think I'm "feigning outrage".

Old 07-17-2013, 01:48 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,235,794 times
I think it's in poor taste to have him on the cover looking like a rock star.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies