Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 06:48 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,248,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, there's certainly one thing we can say about Zimmerman that can't be said about Martin (despite his faults).

George Zimmerman is a liar. And that's very relevant to the case. If Zimmerman testifies at trial, the prosecution can use his attempts to deceive the court to attack his character for truthfulness.
And, Don't forget George's arrest record including assault charges on a police officer. How can they even bring up Trayvon's toxicology reports when they didn't do one on George??? George is the one on trial. Trayvon is the victim.

Last edited by JanND; 06-28-2012 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 06-28-2012, 06:58 PM

507 posts, read 1,538,768 times
Quote:
And why aren't people harping on the lying? It's not like he lied to a meter maid, a teacher or his mother. He lied to a trial judge. And right to his face. Furthermore, he involved his wife in an effort to deceive the court. How duplicitous is that?

If you don't think that's a big deal, I ask you to imagine the following scenario. You get pulled over for speeding in Virginia (80+ is statutory reckless driving there). You have 7 previous speeding tickets on your record. When you go to court, the judge asks you, "How's your record?" and you respond, "Clean as a whistle, your honor." Is that just a little white lie in your view? Or is that a material representation you've just made to one of our greatest civic institutions? Well, George Zimmerman took it even further and lied in the context of a criminal felony trial. And he did it without batting an eye.

The fact that he would be willing to lie under so much media scrutiny is even more galling. Did he really think no one would investigate that? That specific behavior is consistent with a man who boasts (over social media no less) about having felonies dropped to diversions. And it's also consistent with a man who would tell bald face lies to police officers in order to save his own hyde.

I mean, if someone is willing to boldly lie to a judge, wouldn't they be equally amenable to lying to cops?

After the day I have had today it's nice to come across someone with actual critical thinking skills

My opinion----> small man with a big gun Zimmerman will get a murder two conviction if this goes to trial and the jury is convinced it was Trayvon Martin screaming for help on the 911 calls.

There are TWO audio experts on the states witness list. The FBI report indicates they knew these guys were coming in and imo welcomed the advanced skills and technology.

Zimmerman will be LUCKY if his lawyer can get a plea bargain.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:23 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,959,245 times
Quote:
And why aren't people harping on the lying? It's not like he lied to a meter maid, a teacher or his mother. He lied to a trial judge. And right to his face. Furthermore, he involved his wife in an effort to deceive the court. How duplicitous is that?
"rep for you!" Yes, I find it disturbing that so many are excusing this man's dishonest behavior. At first I believed it was possible he didn't know about the money until I listened to the tapes. You also make a good point regarding his prior arrest and felony conviction. Most people would be grateful and feel lucky that a third degree felony was reduced to a misdemeanor. He bragged about it on his MySpace page as if he put one over on the system. "2 felonies dropped to 1 misdemeanor!!!!!!!!!!!" You didn't mention his previous charge of domestic abuse that he also bragged about on the same site. "Im still free! The ex hoe tried her hardest, but the judge saw through it! Big Mike, reppin the Dverse security makin me look a million bucks, broke her down! Thanks to everyone for checkin up on me! Stay tuned for the A.T.F. charges......

...and Trayvon Martin is the one being called "a thug!"

Old 06-28-2012, 08:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I believe you've nailed it. He was about to get caught with illegal substance and ran, then changed his mind and attacked.
Funny, he didn't have anything on him except the iced tea and the skittles.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,416,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Remember, the state must prove gz acted out of ill-will, hatred, spite, or an evil intent. When they go through the 911 call line-by-line the state will use some of the lines. I think the defense will use the weed to explain some of it, which also goes to his state of mind.

If it turns out I'm wrong, so be it, I'm wrong. I must see less wrong with smoking some weed than some of you do, because it doesn't sound like smearing tm or making him a villain to me.
Where are you getting your definition of "depraved mind"....ill will, hatred, spite, or evil intent"? I've read that before but don't know where it came from. It's not in the 2nd degree statute.

What about this part?

"The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual, is murder in the second degree"

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

His actions turned out to be imminently dangerous to another and his actions indicated a "regardless-ness" of human life.

Jeffrey Weiner is an attorney in Florida and former president of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. This is what he said about second degree murder and depraved mind:

"JEFFREY WEINER: The proof is certainly more than what is required for manslaughter. They're going to have to show that he had really a depraved mind. In other words, he didn't plan this ahead of time. It wasn't premeditated, but it was as reckless and wanton behavior as could possibly have taken place short of premeditation."

Zimmerman's Murder Charge: Prosecution Must Prove 'Depraved Mind' | PBS NewsHour | April 11, 2012 | PBS

Old 06-28-2012, 09:14 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,959,245 times
Here's something new:

[url=http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/27/2871449/zimmerman-failed-to-appear-in.html]Zimmerman failed to appear in previous court case, fined $10,000 - Trayvon Martin - MiamiHerald.com[/url]

It might be nothing..maybe George got the flu and couldn't appear, but why would he be fined $10,000? After all, he won the case.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,248,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Where are you getting your definition of "depraved mind"....ill will, hatred, spite, or evil intent"? I've read that before but don't know where it came from. It's not in the 2nd degree statute.

What about this part?

"The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual, is murder in the second degree"

His actions turned out to be imminently dangerous to another and his actions indicated a "regardless-ness" of human life.

Jeffrey Weiner is an attorney in Florida and former president of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. This is what he said about second degree murder and depraved mind:

"JEFFREY WEINER: The proof is certainly more than what is required for manslaughter. They're going to have to show that he had really a depraved mind. In other words, he didn't plan this ahead of time. It wasn't premeditated, but it was as reckless and wanton behavior as could possibly have taken place short of premeditation."

Zimmerman's Murder Charge: Prosecution Must Prove 'Depraved Mind' | PBS NewsHour | April 11, 2012 | PBS
Here is what I found that defines what is needed to prove "Depraved Mind" What are the requirements to be charged with depraved indifference? Criminal Legal Questions & Answers
I think there is a good argument given all the examples of George's inappropriate actions leading up to his shooting Trayvon.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:36 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,416,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Here is what I found that defines what is needed to prove "Depraved Mind" What are the requirements to be charged with depraved indifference? Criminal Legal Questions & Answers
I think there is a good argument given all the examples of George's inappropriate actions leading up to his shooting Trayvon.
thanks for the link. The statute also says: [SIZE=-1]evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual,[/SIZE]

so the part about (is done from ill will, hatred, spite, or an evil intent, and) seems to imply that there is a relationship between the people.......rather than a stranger, but the statute seems to include killing a stranger through extreme recklessness and disregard for human life in general in that situation. How can one have ill will, hatred, and/or spite for someone they don't know?

I guess I'm saying I don't think the state will have to specifically prove there was ill will, hatred, spite and evil intent toward Trayvon. I think maybe a depraved mind can be defined as having wanton disregard for human life and behaving in such a reckless manner as to be imminently dangerous to someone which results in the killing of a person.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:08 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,914,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Thanks, for the link. It demonstrates George is innocent as he was not involved in any of the actions needed to charge him with 2nd degree murder.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:46 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,518,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post

What about this part?

Those words are from the Florida Standard Jury Instructions. Here's a link to the Fl. Supreme Court site, where you can then follow the links to the instructions---

Florida Supreme Court Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.