Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 07:53 PM

179 posts, read 157,316 times

Advertisements

Well then I guess I and Mr. Dershowitz should be disbarred!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:11 PM

20,696 posts, read 12,602,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, there's certainly one thing we can say about Zimmerman that can't be said about Martin (despite his faults).

George Zimmerman is a liar. And that's very relevant to the case. If Zimmerman testifies at trial, the prosecution can use his attempts to deceive the court to attack his character for truthfulness.
I really don't think they will put him on the stand.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:14 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,727,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I really don't think they will put him on the stand.
Huh?

"They" don't have a choice. If Zimm wants to testify, he will testify.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:14 PM

179 posts, read 157,316 times
Quote:
And why aren't people harping on the lying? It's not like he lied to a meter maid, a teacher or his mother. He lied to a trial judge. And right to his face. Furthermore, he involved his wife in an effort to deceive the court. How duplicitous is that?

If you don't think that's a big deal, I ask you to imagine the following scenario. You get pulled over for speeding in Virginia (80+ is statutory reckless driving there). You have 7 previous speeding tickets on your record. When you go to court, the judge asks you, "How's your record?" and you respond, "Clean as a whistle, your honor." Is that just a little white lie in your view? Or is that a material representation you've just made to one of our greatest civic institutions? Well, George Zimmerman took it even further and lied in the context of a criminal felony trial. And he did it without batting an eye.

The fact that he would be willing to lie under so much media scrutiny is even more galling. Did he really think no one would investigate that? That specific behavior is consistent with a man who boasts (over social media no less) about having felonies dropped to diversions. And it's also consistent with a man who would tell bald face lies to police officers in order to save his own hyde.

I mean, if someone is willing to boldly lie to a judge, wouldn't they be equally amenable to lying to cops?
He didnt lie to the judge. His wife did.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Silence gives consent. If he sat there and watched her lie and didn't let his lawyer know about it, he is just as guilty.
Exactly!

Old 06-29-2012, 09:06 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,431,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needTXinfo View Post
Well then I guess I and Mr. Dershowitz should be disbarred!
Do you try cases with Mr. Dershowitz often?

Old 06-29-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Huh?

Of course that is true but I don't think his attorney would want him to testify.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:23 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,431,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Huh?

Well, something we agree about. Yes, Zimmerman can testify if he insists upon doing so. His lawyer cannot stop him. It's Zimmerman's call. If he takes the stand contrary to O'Mara's advice, he will create a nightmare for himself. Having had his attorney tell the judge that he wanted to explain himself in the bail hearing today but he didn't want to be cross examined certainly seems to indicate that Z does NOT understand the system even at this point. He doesn't understand that now at this point his only "friend" in this system is his attorney and the legal team, which, by the way, he's lucky to have. I'm sure he would have been trying to fire public defenders if he had been indigent and had to be represented by a PD.

Oh, yes. If he is found guilty, I would almost promise you right now that he will strike out at O'Mara pretty quickly and tell everybody who will listen that O'Mara would do what he (Zimmerman) wanted him to do and that why he lost the case. No matter how good a job O'Mara does, George will claim that he knew much better than O'Mara, yada, yada, yada. I hope O'Mara is being paid well.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:52 AM

14,268 posts, read 19,019,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Really, you seem to have some implicit point that went unstated, what's your point? His dad is lying? Cut to the chase why don't you? Or were you just giving us a fact without any point beyond this fact. I doubt that seeing that you have an obsession with this thread.

The only thing that is twisted is you - go outside and enjoy that Florida weather.
After reading your comments on this and other threads, I take this as a compliment.

I suppose Trayvon Martin's mother was lying when she broke down crying and ran out of the room the first time she heard the tapes? Nobody can positively identify the voice.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:58 AM

11,184 posts, read 6,542,738 times
Quote:
Well, I don't think his state of mind will really be relevant if the state is charging second degree murder. I have not read the Florida statute, but a second degree murder can often be based on a reckless disregard for human life. Like, for example, joyriding in an SUV through a crowded mall on Black Friday.

Yep. The cops can ask you any questions they want for as long as they want if you keep answering them. It's not until you invoke Miranda rights that the cops have to end their questioning. You're not protected if you just babble away as Zimmerman has been doing.
Before knocking someone else's legal knowledge, consider taking a few minutes to find and read the Fl. statutes and jury instructions. 'Reckless disregard for human life' is part of the Manslaughter definition, not murder 2.

IMO, 'state of mind' is relevant to both gz's self defense claim and the state's murder 2 charge. After you've read the laws we can discuss the issue if you'd like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.