Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 08:05 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,252,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I know this puts me on the gz side, but I do believe he's the one yelling for help. In the same report Serino wrote that the death was 'ultimately avoidable,' he also wrote that gz did the yelling. If he's since changed his mind, maybe I will too down the road.
Interestingly, Zimmerman never claimed that the yells heard on the 911 tape were his during the interrogation with Serino. When Serino suggested that they were, Zimmerman replied, "That doesn't even sound like me." Additionally, Zimmerman was unable to pinpoint any moment during the altercation when he was supposedly being smothered. And there is no indication on the tape that Martin said anything to Zimmerman, no "you're gonna die tonight", "shut the eff up", "you got me", screams of pain after being shot, nothing.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:11 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,273,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
A public lynching is what we have here, folks, of a man who passed a voice stress test where he answered two critical questions. He answered no to the question of if he confronted Martin. He answered yes to the question of if he was in fear for his life. The initial prosecutor wisely chose not to prosecute. Then the public lynching began. Saint Trayvon's death must be avenged, facts be damned.
I suppose Trayvon would have answered the same, if he were alive to do so. Get over the fact that more than a few of us are railing against the fact that so many of you are trying to rationalize irrational behavior by someone that should never have been given a concealed weapon permit, simply because of his background involving assults, one even on a police officer. This killing should never have happened. It is totally nonsensical that there are folks trying to convince some of us that this is a justified shooting...Mr Zimmerman was the PERPETRATOR...He is guilty as charged. Let there be justice.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:31 PM

190 posts, read 302,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
......and more dead unarmed kids whose only crime was being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
How do you know he was innocent? Why don't you let the court decide?

Old 06-23-2012, 08:36 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,276,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialbyfire View Post
How do you know he was innocent? Why don't you let the court decide?
I didn't realize Trayvon was the one on trial?

Old 06-23-2012, 08:50 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,974,531 times
Quote:
I don't know if tm could have said anything after he was shot. Sounds fishy to me, but it's the type of issue I'll have to hear from people like forensic pathologists to have a definite opinion.
I agree with this and wonder if a Medical Examiner can determine if death was immediate. His account of what happened after he pushed Trayvon off simply makes no sense to me. I mean, he claims he was beaten and his head was ready to explode, but then he straddles the body and spreads his arms while the teenager with a bullet in his chest curses at him? I admit I've never been a witness to a shooting, but I cannot imagine someone saying "You got me" and then cursing the shooter. Why wouldn't Zimmerman stand with the gun pointed at him until the police arrived? Was he concerned they'd shoot him? Where's the man he asked to help him while he was trying to restrain Martin? He also said he asked the first man on the scene, "Are you a cop?" Then he said he asked a cop if he could call his wife and the cop said "No" so he asked the other guy to call her. This is so different from the original statement. In fact, the man who said Zimmerman told him to call his wife never mentioned the police had already arrived, only that Zimmerman was "acting like it was nothing."

By the way, when I just looked for that link, I came across this article from last month.

[url=http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/05/witnesses-zimmerman-trayvon-case-change-stories.html]Four Witnesses in Trayvon Martin Case Changed Their Stories [/url]

The man sounds certifiable. I mean, he stood up at a town meeting and "described his disgust with the department, recalling instances of total laziness by an officer who took Zimmerman for a ride-along."

I already knew about that but, what really surprised me, was reading this:

"In the following months, Zimmerman kept up a correspondence with the department. In September 2011, Zimmerman wrote the then-chief, "I have high hopes for, and restored faith in your administration and the Sanford Police Department in its entirety," CNN reports."

Are they referring to former Police Chief, Bill Lee, the man who was fired for mishandling the investigation?

Here is a copy of Zimmerman's request to ride around with the police.

[url]http://thegrio.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/gz-ridealong-request.png[/url]

REASON FOR RIDE ALONG: To solidify my interest in a career in law enforcement.

I think this whole story is very sad. I really do. The man wanted to be a cop and just couldn't accept the rejection, so he rode around in police cars, became a NW captain, wrote letters to the police chief, and went to town meetings to tell people how LE should be handled. Finally, he just got fed up and shot someone.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I suppose Trayvon would have answered the same, if he were alive to do so. Get over the fact that more than a few of us are railing against the fact that so many of you are trying to rationalize irrational behavior by someone that should never have been given a concealed weapon permit, simply because of his background involving assults, one even on a police officer. This killing should never have happened. It is totally nonsensical that there are folks trying to convince some of us that this is a justified shooting...Mr Zimmerman was the PERPETRATOR...He is guilty as charged. Let there be justice.
If you really want justice shouldn't you let the court uncover all evidence and pass the fulling? What kind of justice it is if you already assume gz is guilty?

Old 06-23-2012, 09:36 PM

812 posts, read 596,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Justice would be z at home with his family where he belongs. You can't get a pass for running around punching people in the face and slamming their heads in the concrete. This is precisely whe all law abiding citizens should be permitted to carry a concealed weapon. It is a perfect example of justification. Let the court rule. I am satisfied it will rule self defense. The young man would be alive today if he had gone home and called the police and said a strange guy is following and intimidating me but no he was a bad ass yeah. Bad ass judgement. I think no one is happy about the outcome. Ruining another life over a tragedy like this is not the answer,
. Society should learn the many lessons here and move on.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Are you ok ?

I paraphrased what I recall gz saying on the audio. If you've listened to all the audio and can quote it back verbatim, congrats. More likely, you haven't listened to any of it.

The point that you want to evade is that gz said [paraphrasing from what I remember on the audio] he felt tm start to reach down toward the gun, so gz's arm was also free to reach for it. He didn't need 3 hands.
So, George had already brandished the gun...perhaps that is why Trayvon was fighting for his life....or like so many advocates like to say...Standing his ground" You think George brandishing...perhaps boldly threatening Trayvon is why he might have been reaching for a gun....How else would Trayvon even know there was a gun, if it was concealed....unless George had already threatened Trayvon w/ it...Afterall....George told the investigator that he even forgot he had a gun....George's story doesn't ring true at all to me.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I didn't realize Trayvon was the one on trial?
We generally do not put tdead people on trial however court is nevertheless interested in tm's actions to establish if gz is guilty of manslaughter or not. You on the other hand are rushing to judgement. That's not justice.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialbyfire View Post
If you really want justice shouldn't you let the court uncover all evidence and pass the fulling? What kind of justice it is if you already assume gz is guilty?
Oh, He is guilty...He killed a 17 year old young man. The only issue being decided is whether he can defend killing this 17 year old....So far His SYG defense is full of holes.....
Nancy said it best...
Originally Posted by justNancy
So former Gov Bush and others who authored the SYG bill in Florida and Zimmerman's own attorney said it's not a SYG case, but you insist it is. Okay. You and one of your buddies here said I keep repeating things, but it's probably because you don't seem to get it.

Author of "stand your ground" law: George Zimmerman should probably be arrested for killing Trayvon Martin - Crimesider - CBS News

"He has no protection under my law," former Sen. Durell Peaden told the newspaper

Breaking – Jeb Bush Backs Zimmerman Arrest in Killing | Veterans Today

"Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and “stealth” Republican presidential front-runner is a supporter of the “Stand Your Ground” law, but yesterday admitted that he did not know why an arrest was not made in the case and further, that the broad-spanning law did not seem to cover George Zimmerman."

"This law does not apply to this particular circumstance… Stand your ground means stand your ground. It doesn’t mean chase after somebody who’s turned their back."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.