Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 09:02 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,521,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
The lead investigator, who recommended a charge of manslaughter, asked Zimmerman the one question which everyone is now asking. After hearing Zimmerman's story that Martin circled his car, had his hand in his waistband, etc., the investigator asked the next logical question: Why then did you get out of the car and follow Martin (with your gun)? Zimmerman lied and said the dispatcher asked him to ID his location. A review of the recorded calls shows that not to be true.

Zimmerman's own arrogance caused this incident. With much freedom (to carry a gun) comes much responsibility.
The dispatcher asked, 'what address are you parked in front of.' gz didn't know. He certainly could have settled for meeting at the mailboxes, but his stating the dispatcher asked for his location during the call is true.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:03 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,972,392 times
I don't think people here are unable to understand it is permissible by law to carry a gun. The problem people are having is the misuse of that right, as Zimmerman did. I wish people had to pass a psychological evaluation to carry a gun. My father in law agrees with your statement that people cannot have enough guns. As he's aged, he's not someone who should have them though.

Case in point is the mother who shot her son in the back of the head at a shooting range here in Central Florida. She had just gotten out of a mental hospital, bought a gun from the shooting range, the range got the electronic permission code to sell her the gun, and she then used it to shoot her son. Something is wrong with Zimmerman, too. Not to that extent, but I think he is delusional at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
It's impossible to explain to those who can't comprehend. God bless them.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:16 AM

That's a different conversation, though. According to Zimmerman's statement, he blamed getting out of the car on the dispatcher who asked where Trayvon was and in what direction was he headed. Zimmerman said the dispatcher asked whether he could "re-establish eye contact with the teenager." But when listening to the conversation, the dispatcher never made that statement. The dispatcher also asked if Zimmerman was following him, Zimmerman said he was, and the dispatcher said he did not need to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The dispatcher asked, 'what address are you parked in front of.' gz didn't know. He certainly could have settled for meeting at the mailboxes, but his stating the dispatcher asked for his location during the call is true.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:31 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,400,692 times
I think the problem here is what's become indicative of our society. We have gun rights people supporting their cause, and people that hate guns touting theirs. At the crux of this case, gun rights have nothing to do with it. We also have the usual suspect at large doing their race thing. Not as many as I thought, but they are there.

What happened here is someone shot and killed another. Beyond the basic details and assorted statements they've made public, we don't know the crucial facts that will be brought up in the trial.

I don't think the recent videos released help the accused very much, and I think the bail hearing and subsequent unraveling of their statements in court will definitely hurt their credibility.

This case is not cut and dry either way. There are important details we don't have, and we don't know what the witnesses will say while in court.

Personally, I think it will come down to forensics, trajectory, witnesses and credibility. While many have doubts as to the credibility and believability of GZ's stories, I don't know whether that doubt can trump not knowing what actually happened between the point the confrontation started, and the shot was fired.

It's easy to see the prosecution derail and pick apart the defense's case for what happened. Then it become a lawyer-skill competition. If the witnesses can be derailed, the maps and forensics not stand up to the defense's claims, it still becomes a very hard matter to prove murder 2.

If they can do that, fine by me. If not, I'd rather see GZ walk than have a lingering doubt as to what actually happened. We've had some deaths and shootings lately here where the intruders were stabbed to death, or shot. These are home invasion cases, so definitely not the same thing.

This case should not involve the SYG law, nor have anything to do with concealed carry, if common sense or logic has any play. I've never had guns, but have increasingly though about the ever-increasing home invasion rate. In that environment, I want every singly perpetrator to be shot dead. 100% kill rate should be the goal. It's the most personal and violent crime anyone can experience.

I'm not against guns, nor Pro guns. I don't think of Zimmerman as white, hispanic, or anything else. He's a defendant. I don't care whether he shot a teen, or an 80 year-old grandmother. People are people, not a race, not a language, not a specific age group. Coming out against SYG or defending guns is not an appropriate use of time or effort for rational people.

I doubt many here, if on either side of the bullet, would be happy to read about this case as it has unfolded. Unfortunately, the many thoughts on this case are a by-product of how our society has developed.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:32 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,695,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
I don't think people here are unable to understand it is permissible by law to carry a gun. The problem people are having is the misuse of that right, as Zimmerman did. I wish people had to pass a psychological evaluation to carry a gun. My father in law agrees with your statement that people cannot have enough guns. As he's aged, he's not someone who should have them though.

Case in point is the mother who shot her son in the back of the head at a shooting range here in Central Florida. She had just gotten out of a mental hospital, bought a gun from the shooting range, the range got the electronic permission code to sell her the gun, and she then used it to shoot her son. Something is wrong with Zimmerman, too. Not to that extent, but I think he is delusional at best.
Are you a trained psychologist who has examined George? No?

Or are you forming your 'diagnoses' by reading internet babble? Yes?

That's what I thought.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:39 AM

Wow. That's it, Dale. Insult when you can't defend.

Quote:
Are you a trained psychologist who has examined George? No?

Or are you forming your 'diagnoses' by reading internet babble? Yes?

That's what I thought.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:06 AM

You think George is delusional, yet you can't provide proof of your training that would make you capable of such a judgement.

Then you try to blame me.

lol.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:07 AM

Good message. I too will be surprised if Zimmerman is convicted, but not because I think he did the right thing. I am anxious to hear the testimony of the girlfriend who was on the phone with Martin at the end.
+1 to you.

[quote=Sun Thinker;24880969]

Personally, I think it will come down to forensics, trajectory, witnesses and credibility. While many have doubts as to the credibility and believability of GZ's stories, I don't know whether that doubt can trump not knowing what actually happened between the point the confrontation started, and the shot was fired.

It's easy to see the prosecution derail and pick apart the defense's case for what happened. Then it become a lawyer-skill competition. If the witnesses can be derailed, the maps and forensics not stand up to the defense's claims, it still becomes a very hard matter to prove murder 2.

If they can do that, fine by me. If not, I'd rather see GZ walk than have a lingering doubt as to what actually happened. We've had some deaths and shootings lately here where the intruders were stabbed to death, or shot. These are home invasion cases, so definitely not the same thing.

This case should not involve the SYG law, nor have anything to do with concealed carry, if common sense or logic has any play.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:11 AM

Dale, I am entitled to my opinion just as you are. What upset you the most--the fact that Zimmerman was once again caught embellishing a story, or my opinion that psych evals should be installed for gun owners. Don't think your insults are going to have a chilling effect on people posting their opinions. This is an internet forum, Dale. You're too wrapped up it. Take it easy.

Quote:
You think George is delusional, yet you can't provide proof of your training that would make you capable of such a judgement.

Then you try to blame me.

lol.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:12 AM

[quote=carolac;24881396]Good message. I too will be surprised if Zimmerman is convicted, but not because I think he did the right thing. I am anxious to hear the testimony of the girlfriend who was on the phone with Martin at the end.
+1 to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Thinker View Post

This case should not involve the SYG law, nor have anything to do with concealed carry, if common sense or logic has any play.
I agree with this.

Except....the bit about Trayvon's girlfriend. Unless they have a recording of the call, it's mere hearsay.

I've heard her voice, and she doesn't come across as being too bright (to me). I would discount her testimony simply because she wasn't there and has no first hand knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies