Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 10:49 PM

9,139 posts, read 5,806,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Oh, He is guilty...He killed a 17 year old young man. The only issue being decided is whether he can defend killing this 17 year old....So far His SYG defense is full of holes.....
Nancy said it best...
Originally Posted by justNancy
So former Gov Bush and others who authored the SYG bill in Florida and Zimmerman's own attorney said it's not a SYG case, but you insist it is. Okay. You and one of your buddies here said I keep repeating things, but it's probably because you don't seem to get it.

Author of "stand your ground" law: George Zimmerman should probably be arrested for killing Trayvon Martin - Crimesider - CBS News

"He has no protection under my law," former Sen. Durell Peaden told the newspaper

Breaking – Jeb Bush Backs Zimmerman Arrest in Killing | Veterans Today

"Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and “stealth” Republican presidential front-runner is a supporter of the “Stand Your Ground” law, but yesterday admitted that he did not know why an arrest was not made in the case and further, that the broad-spanning law did not seem to cover George Zimmerman."

"This law does not apply to this particular circumstance… Stand your ground means stand your ground. It doesn’t mean chase after somebody who’s turned their back."

I also agree SYG does not apply.
But he does not give up his right to self defense.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:12 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Oh, He is guilty...He killed a 17 year old young man. The only issue being decided is whether he can defend killing this 17 year old...
Jan, I appreciate your frustration and what you are trying to explain, but I never said he was "guilty" in any of my posts. I said that he killed Trayvon Martin, which is something we all know. I also said that I believe he is emotionally unstable, since he is much too involved with police matters.

Anyway, I am only posting in response to what you wrote, because I don't think we should say "he's guilty - put him away!" until there is a trial and all the evidence is presented to a jury. Yes, he definitely killed a 17 year old teenager and IMO he never should have followed him in the dark. In fact, nobody in his right mind would follow someone he truly believed was dangerous, which is why I think George isn't all there. I believe he wanted to catch a would-be burglar and get an attaboy, but his plan backfired.

Do I think the man is a cold-blooded killer? No, I don't. I have to agree with those who say that we can share ideas and opinions on this board, since it has no bearing on the verdict, but let's not convict him, even in the court of public opinion, until we hear all the evidence. My posts about SYG in Florida were to explain how I see the law written, not to convict him of murder. As I've said before, I think he's guilty of negligent homicide. I doubt if he meant to kill anyone, but I honestly don't know what happened that night or what was in his mind when he left his car. Unfortunately, Zimmerman is the only living eyewitness.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:13 AM

190 posts, read 302,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Jan, I appreciate your frustration and what you are trying to explain, but I never said he was "guilty" in any of my posts. I said that he killed Trayvon Martin, which is something we all know. I also said that I believe he is emotionally unstable, since he is much too involved with police matters.
Involvement in police matters, caring about safety is his neighborhood make him emotionally unstable? That's rich. If more Blacks were like TZ there would be no ghettos.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:02 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Interestingly, Zimmerman never claimed that the yells heard on the 911 tape were his during the interrogation with Serino. When Serino suggested that they were, Zimmerman replied, "That doesn't even sound like me." Additionally, Zimmerman was unable to pinpoint any moment during the altercation when he was supposedly being smothered. And there is no indication on the tape that Martin said anything to Zimmerman, no "you're gonna die tonight", "shut the eff up", "you got me", screams of pain after being shot, nothing.
1. In his interview with Serino on 2/27, gz did say he yelled for help.

2. In the 2/29 interview with Serino, Serino plays the 911 recording with yelling in the background and says, 'that's you yelling for help, help me, help me.'

3. In his written statement and the reenactment, gz says it's him yelling for help.

4. In his 3/19 capias request, Serino says gz was yelling for help.

If Serino has since changed his mind about who was yelling for help, I'm not aware of it.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:19 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
I suppose Trayvon would have answered the same, if he were alive to do so. Get over the fact that more than a few of us are railing against the fact that so many of you are trying to rationalize irrational behavior by someone that should never have been given a concealed weapon permit, simply because of his background involving assults, one even on a police officer. This killing should never have happened. It is totally nonsensical that there are folks trying to convince some of us that this is a justified shooting...Mr Zimmerman was the PERPETRATOR...He is guilty as charged. Let there be justice.
That's hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I also agree SYG does not apply.
But he does not give up his right to self defense.
The Trayvonistas are so wrapped up in their foggy notion that SYG doesn't apply that they have completely forgotten (or probably never knew) that self defense is a perfectly legitimate cause to...well...DEFEND yourself. Someone threw out the Stand Your Ground thing and that's now all they see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialbyfire View Post
Involvement in police matters, caring about safety is his neighborhood make him emotionally unstable? That's rich. If more Blacks were like TZ there would be no ghettos.
Sad, isn't it. George can move next to me any time. The reason so many cities are drowning in their own waste is because there are no Georges there.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:26 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,241,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
1. In his interview with Serino on 2/27, gz did say he yelled for help.

2. In the 2/29 interview with Serino, Serino plays the 911 recording with yelling in the background and says, 'that's you yelling for help, help me, help me.'

3. In his written statement and the reenactment, gz says it's him yelling for help.

4. In his 3/19 capias request, Serino says gz was yelling for help.

If Serino has since changed his mind about who was yelling for help, I'm not aware of it.
Of course Zimmerman told police he was doing the yelling. But when faced with the tape during the 2/29 interrogation, Zimmerman never confirms that it was actually he who was doing the yelling on the tape. Even after Serino "reminded" him that it was, Zimmerman responds with "That doesn't even sound like me".

Old 06-24-2012, 07:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialbyfire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
That's hilarious.

The Trayvonistas are so wrapped up in their foggy notion that SYG doesn't apply that they have completely forgotten (or probably never knew) that self defense is a perfectly legitimate cause to...well...DEFEND yourself. Someone threw out the Stand Your Ground thing and that's now all they see.

Sad, isn't it. George can move next to me any time. The reason so many cities are drowning in their own waste is because there are no Georges there.
There is no way I'd want a wannabe cop with anger management problems who runs around packing a piece living next door to me. He'd probably shoot one of my kids or one of my cats.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:18 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Of course Zimmerman told police he was doing the yelling. But when faced with the tape during the 2/29 interrogation, Zimmerman never confirms that it was actually he who was doing the yelling on the tape. Even after Serino "reminded" him that it was, Zimmerman responds with "That doesn't even sound like me".
Are you suggesting that in a moment of unintentional honesty gz admitted it wasn't him yelling for help ? And Serino didn't didn't pick up on it the way you did, and instead said gz was yelling in the capias request 2-weeks later ?

Really ?

Old 06-24-2012, 07:29 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is no way I'd want a wannabe cop with anger management problems who runs around packing a piece living next door to me. He'd probably shoot one of my kids or one of my cats.
If you really do live in small town USA then you do have them all around you without your knowledge. Most people who own firearms and are concerned about crime and their safety are very stable and concerned citizens.

They can live next to me. It's much better then the criminals living next door.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If you really do live in small town USA then you do have them all around you without your knowledge. Most people who own firearms and are concerned about crime and their safety are very stable and concerned citizens.

They can live next to me. It's much better then the criminals living next door.
I do not have any neighbors who go calling the cops weekly on "suspicious" people, following them, and eventually shooting them. We do watch out for each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies