Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 04:36 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,525,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
If he wasn't following Martin, how did he get behind the row of townhouses? His truck was still parked in the street near the clubhouse. (There's a map in the link about the timeline that has a map of the complex, and where certain incidents occurred. It's in a piece written by a lawyer, so she's very precise.) He could have followed Martin from a safe distance on foot and seen where Trayvon went in order to tell the police where he'd gone. If he hadn't been following Martin, he'd have had a short distance to cover to be at his truck, the easiest and most obvious place to meet the police. He must have followed Martin, or DeeDee wouldn't have heard Zimmerman ask what he was doing there. It seems unlikely that Martin would have circled back and attacked Zimmerman while talking to his girlfriend on the phone.
All of a sudden a map and timeline from a blogger becomes a standard for what happened when. Read the text that goes along with the map and count the 'seems,' 'it's possible,' 'may have,' and other phrases like those. She's not even sure where the mailboxes are.

Her legal article was nice; the timeline more guesswork than fact.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 AM

96 posts, read 81,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
He acknowledged with an affirmative answer that he was following Trayvon. He said OK when the dispatcher told him not to. We don't know what that "OK" meant. Have you never said "OK" to mean, "I hear you"? Of course not, you're perfect.
Sorry, that makes no sense. When you are out to eat and stop to ask waitress for another napkin and she says, "OK"............don't you wait to GET one or do you expect NO napkin, she only said ok because she heard you? Get real.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,024,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
All of a sudden a map and timeline from a blogger becomes a standard for what happened when. Read the text that goes along with the map and count the 'seems,' 'it's possible,' 'may have,' and other phrases like those. She's not even sure where the mailboxes are.

Her legal article was nice; the timeline more guesswork than fact.
Well, of course it's speculation...very little evidence has been released. It's specualtion on both sides, especially now that Zimmerman has given
conflicting statements in court. No one ever suggested that her blog was a "standard," merely that it's helpful. Why is it some folks have to take everything to the extreme? In his 911 call, Zimmerman told the dispatcher that he didn't know where he was, although he was not far from the clubhouse and main entrance, and he lives there. I think the writer can be forgiven for not being sure where the mailboxes are.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukiddin View Post
Sorry, that makes no sense. When you are out to eat and stop to ask waitress for another napkin and she says, "OK"............don't you wait to GET one or do you expect NO napkin, she only said ok because she heard you? Get real.
I think there's a problem with semantics here; many people commonly say, "I hear you" during a conversation, meaning general assent. I don't think that the poster was referring to literally physically hearing something. Regardless of what Zimmerman meant by "Okay," he clearly did follow Trayvon Martin, or he would have been in or by his truck and not behind the row of townhouses.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:39 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,421,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Good Lord...I can't believe it's 3 AM! I just want to end with one more thought...

If the prosecution has evidence that GZ displayed his gun this could support the charge, not sure what evidence, maybe his alleged inconsistent statements:

"Using or displaying a handgun in any other circumstances could result in your conviction for crimes such as improper exhibition of a firearm, manslaughter, or worse."

Well, maybe we'll know soon enough since the discovery process started this past Friday...I think

Night.Night.
I'd guess that we're not going to be hearing much more in terms of evidence from either side now until an immunity hearing or trial. Even though discovery has started, I would think that neither side would find it very beneficial to put the details of their cases out to the public, especially such things as forensics reports. We already know that the autopsy findings will not be released. I think what will be in the court file will be lists of things turned over to the defense, but not the documents themselves. Maybe some information will come out in pre-trial hearings dealing with discovery issues, but I think we won't have much more info regarding specifics and how they fit together until trial or immunity hearing. Of course, I could be wrong.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:44 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,421,203 times
Quote:
Well, of course it's speculation...very little evidence has been released. It's specualtion on both sides, especially now that Zimmerman has given
conflicting statements in court. No one ever suggested that her blog was a "standard," merely that it's helpful. Why is it some folks have to take everything to the extreme? In his 911 call, Zimmerman told the dispatcher that he didn't know where he was, although he was not far from the clubhouse and main entrance, and he lives there. I think the writer can be forgiven for not being sure where the mailboxes are.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:44 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,455,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
There has been much discussion about the Neighborhood Watch rules and how it applies to this case...First and foremost GZ had a license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm for self-defense it is a right of law-abiding Floridians. He was not breaking any laws by carrying his firearm, he may have broken the rules of the NW, but he did not break the law. I don't believe the NW watch rules will apply in an immunity hearing or a jury trial...
We've been saying this for weeks yet the same people keep harping on the NW rules. It's getting tiresome.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 AM

39,897 posts, read 26,593,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
They used to be difficult to get because they were called "Cop Killers" in the 90s. However, they're sold in most states now. I think they are illegal in only one or two.

What's ironic is that they are banned by International Law, and cannot be used in war, but Joe Blow can buy one at the local ammo shop.

Army OKs Hollow-Point Bullets | Mother Jones
Nancy, the author of that artcle knew even less than most media reporters about firearms and amunition.

Quote:
These rounds—which are available for use by civilians in most US states but banned in international conflicts—feature a small depression cut into the slug's nose, usually filled with notched steel.
The depression is not cut in, it's cast or formed. And very few (if any, I can't think of any off hand) are "filled with notched steel.

Quote:
These rounds—which are available for use by civilians in most US states but banned in international conflicts—feature a small depression cut into the slug's nose, usually filled with notched steel.
Kinetic energy is the product of mass and the square of the velocity. It has nothing to do with bullet construction, and is not lower with hollow point bullets. It is often higher, defensive rounds are often loaded to a higher muzzle velocity than FMJ "practice" ammo.

Quote:
The ultimate irony here is that the Army will now arm itself against internal threats with a munition that's illegal to use in war. The Hague Convention of 1899 bans any lawful combatant from using "bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body, such as bullets with a hard envelope which does not entirely cover the core, or is pierced with incisions." That is to say, steel-jacketed hollow-points.
Steel jacketed hollow points? REALLY. Just how long does a steel barrel last when you run steel jacketed bullets down it? I know of no steel jacketed bullets. This person knows considerably less about firearms and ammo than I know about quantum mechanics.

The only people calling jacketed (with copper or gilding metal btw) hollow point bullets were some ignorant writers in the media. JHP bullets were available well before the 90s. That was time some idiot got all butt-hurt by the scary looking "Black Talon" bullets.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 AM

Good links, especially the second one; I recall reading about Cutcher, but it was good to hear her speak. At any rate, it appears that it won't be long before there's more evidence to go over:

Angela Corey's Evidence Against George Zimmerman In Trayvon Martin Case (PHOTOS) | Global Grind

I also found this link with some statements from DeeDee; Trayvon said that Zimmerman was "going to do something" to him, and that's when she told Trayvon to run. Things will be much simpler when all of this evidence comes out.

Read more: http://globalgrind.com/news/trayvon-martins-girlfriend-speaks-out-details#ixzz1tSyCAi00

Last edited by Evenstar51; 04-30-2012 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: added a link

Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,455,378 times
Quote:
Incorrect we have a wealth of information in the public arena already. The prosecutor herself has stated "facts have been leaked".

We have enough to go on to form intelligent opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies