Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2020, 08:02 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
If you hate it here so much, why don't you leave? I couldn't imagine living somewhere that made me miserable enough to complain on the internet constantly about it.

Why are you Trump people so angry all the time? You won. You got your reality TV show president, a stacked federal bench, and at least two Supreme Court seats. Why are you all so constantly aggrieved and complaining, when you won?

I swear, some people just want to be unhappy all the time.
I am quite happy.

Enlighten me why halting the immigration into Pittsburgh is a bad thing during the middle of a pandemic and while millions of Americans are currently out of work.

Also please explain why the city continues to decline and stagnate even with the Supposed vibrancy of immigrants coming here?

Why can’t these businesses hire people already here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 08:06 PM

806 posts, read 260,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
I am quite happy.

Enlighten me why halting the immigration into Pittsburgh is a bad thing during the middle of a pandemic and while millions of Americans are currently out of work.

Also please explain why the city continues to decline and stagnate even with the Supposed vibrancy of immigrants coming here?

Why can’t these businesses hire people already here?
The H1B and foreign college student changes aren't going to stop immigrants from coming here, they're going to uproot people who have already been here making a life for themselves for years. Like I said in the Duolingo thread, raise the lower pay bound on the H1B system from $60K to $100K+ and you've fixed the problem entirely. No more exploited foreign labor, and these companies can still hire world class talent that you're not going to necessarily find in Sharpsburg.

I've lived here for twenty years now and the city was in better shape going into this pandemic than it was at any point previous in that entire period I've been here. The city has done quite well for itself since the nineties.

Forcing people on student visas out of the country is a stupid, stupid idea that will deprive universities and the communities that rely on them of billions of dollars in income. It's what my grandma used to call "cutting your nose off to spite your face."

If you're quite happy, you have a strange way of showing it. Some people are only happy when they're complaining, I guess.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Forcing people on student visas out of the country is a stupid, stupid idea that will deprive universities and the communities that rely on them of billions of dollars in income. It's what my grandma used to call "cutting your nose off to spite your face."

If you're quite happy, you have a strange way of showing it. Some people are only happy when they're complaining, I guess.
Are we in the middle of a pandemic that is infecting millions and making people sick? Are there millions of people unemployed? What you suggest is bringing sand to a beach. It makes no sense.

The university system needs to come back to earth. It is top heavy and loaded with high paying now show jobs trying to teach people how they should think and feel rather than trying to educate. The best that would happen is to press a reset button on the whole system. Downsize and become learning institutions again. This is the only way it is going to happen. It was long overdue and we will be a better country for it.

I am still waiting on an explanation as to why pittsburgh is still declining even with all this supposed vibrant immigration going on in the city.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Are we in the middle of a pandemic that is infecting millions and making people sick? Are there millions of people unemployed? What you suggest is bringing sand to a beach. It makes no sense.

The university system needs to come back to earth. It is top heavy and loaded with high paying now show jobs trying to teach people how they should think and feel rather than trying to educate. The best that would happen is to press a reset button on the whole system. Downsize and become learning institutions again. This is the only way it is going to happen. It was long overdue and we will be a better country for it.

I am still waiting on an explanation as to why pittsburgh is still declining even with all this supposed vibrant immigration going on in the city.
I've got some bad news for you: to the rest of the world, Americans are now the dirty foreigners who come bearing disease. The EU has already put a ban on American visitors until we figure this out.

Your "bringing sand to a beach" analogy makes zero sense, these moves are uprooting people who are already here, and have been here for years.

Deliberately cutting billions of dollars of income from universities and telling them "you were too top heavy anyway" is incredibly spiteful on top of being what my grandma would have called "throwing the baby out with the bathwater."

You keep repeating "Pittsburgh is declining!" over and over without describing in what way Pittsburgh is in decline, or offering reasonable evidence that Pittsburgh really is on the decline. You act like you're owed an explanation when you've offered nothing of substance.

It's almost as though you're trolling.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:53 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
I've got some bad news for you: to the rest of the world, Americans are now the dirty foreigners who come bearing disease. The EU has already put a ban on American visitors until we figure this out.

Your "bringing sand to a beach" analogy makes zero sense, these moves are uprooting people who are already here, and have been here for years.

Deliberately cutting billions of dollars of income from universities and telling them "you were too top heavy anyway" is incredibly spiteful on top of being what my grandma would have called "throwing the baby out with the bathwater."

You keep repeating "Pittsburgh is declining!" over and over without describing in what way Pittsburgh is in decline, or offering reasonable evidence that Pittsburgh really is on the decline. You act like you're owed an explanation when you've offered nothing of substance.

It's almost as though you're trolling.

I like this guy.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:18 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Despite being in the business of making predictions, I won't make one here. I will, however, share anecdotes that seem to make sense to me shared by some of my friends in NYC and Chicago - they are thinking moving to a city like Pittsburgh, with its more accessible real estate and decent (but not incredible, by any means) amenities, is now much more feasible and desirable, given the rapid shift to remote work.

This sort of shift was already happening among those who have distributed teams, but coming out of this pandemic and on the other side, you could see that accelerate. To people in NYC, Chicago, and other much larger cities, Pittsburgh actually is like a suburb / exurb. I am not saying you will not also see accelerated movement to other smaller cities or places with better weather, but writing off Pittsburgh as completely undesirable is kind of nonsensical. Time will tell, though.
would they move within city limits or to a suburb with well-ranked schools?

Last edited by Paul2421; 07-09-2020 at 10:34 PM..

Old 07-09-2020, 11:12 PM

82 posts, read 30,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
Pittsburgh for the HUGE win!!!! because we have a lower percentage of African Americans?

Wow, not even trying to hide the racism anymore.

I suppose .... that's progress??

SMH
He's not wrong

Old 07-10-2020, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
would they move within city limits or to a suburb with well-ranked schools?
I think we all know the answer to that. Suburb, exburb or rural area with good schools and low crime. People that want the police and respect their presence.

I think this pandemic has really turned things upside down. It has made cities and large dense urban areas undesirable. The media has fueled this panic. When somebody sneezes they look at you like you are the next positive case. It’s ridiculous. However the evolution of technology over the last 20 years has exposed a great cost savings to businesses. No longer do you have to show up to a brick and mortar structure with cubicles on top of each other.

A lot of people live in the city because of necessity not because of choice. The work from home movement is going to change all of that. Before this pandemic I expected it to happen but at a much more slow trickle. This is going to be an acceleration. And if given a choice, and most articles are aligning to the fact people don’t want to live on top of each other and will leave these densely packed cities for the suburbs and exburbs. There is a poster on here preservation pioneer and they are right. There are small towns more walkable than Pittsburgh itself in the surrounding area. That is the future. Pittsburgh city is going to have a tough go of it from here on out. The dense population, willingness to defund the police and sub par schools do not help its cause. First ring suburbs like Bellevue and dormont will benefit greatly. They have intact business districts, good schools and are walkable. I think Bellevue is excellent. A few more restaurants and brewpubs there and it would be perfect. Urban enough, enough businesses, enough entertainment, walkable, safe, good schools. That is what the future will be. Even a town like greensburg meets those same metrics right now. Work from home and everything is right there. You don’t need the city of pittsburgh

I think the population will Dive in the city. People won’t live there if they don’t have to. The only people left will be the ones that can’t leave and the limousine liberals that claim to understand culture and have tolerance yet live in their own bubble and refuse to accept opinions that differ from theirs.

Last edited by Independentthinking83; 07-10-2020 at 05:35 AM..

Old 07-10-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
I think we all know the answer to that. Suburb, exburb or rural area with good schools and low crime. People that want the police and respect their presence.

I think this pandemic has really turned things upside down. It has made cities and large dense urban areas undesirable. The media has fueled this panic. When somebody sneezes they look at you like you are the next positive case. It’s ridiculous. However the evolution of technology over the last 20 years has exposed a great cost savings to businesses. No longer do you have to show up to a brick and mortar structure with cubicles on top of each other.

A lot of people live in the city because of necessity not because of choice. The work from home movement is going to change all of that. Before this pandemic I expected it to happen but at a much more slow trickle. This is going to be an acceleration. And if given a choice, and most articles are aligning to the fact people don’t want to live on top of each other and will leave these densely packed cities for the suburbs and exburbs. There is a poster on here preservation pioneer and they are right. There are small towns more walkable than Pittsburgh itself in the surrounding area. That is the future. Pittsburgh city is going to have a tough go of it from here on out. The dense population, willingness to defund the police and sub par schools do not help its cause. First ring suburbs like Bellevue and dormont will benefit greatly. They have intact business districts, good schools and are walkable. I think Bellevue is excellent. A few more restaurants and brewpubs there and it would be perfect. Urban enough, enough businesses, enough entertainment, walkable, safe, good schools. That is what the future will be. Even a town like greensburg meets those same metrics right now. Work from home and everything is right there. You don’t need the city of pittsburgh

I think the population will Dive in the city. People won’t live there if they don’t have to. The only people left will be the ones that can’t leave and the limousine liberals that claim to understand culture and have tolerance yet live in their own bubble and refuse to accept opinions that differ from theirs.
I can get symmetrical 1gbps fiber in the city of Pittsburgh for $80 a month. That's a significant help in working from home for me.

I can't get that in exurbs, rural areas, or even most suburbs, because it isn't cost effective to offer it there without massive government subsidies.

It's hard for the new 'work from home' paradigm to drive this supposed wave of emigration to the boondocks (that no statistics show) when it isn't really possible to effectively telework with the sort of 5mbit asymmetrical DSL you can get out there.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:00 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times
Quote:
I can get symmetrical 1gbps fiber in the city of Pittsburgh for $80 a month. That's a significant help in working from home for me.

I can't get that in exurbs, rural areas, or even most suburbs, because it isn't cost effective to offer it there without massive government subsidies.

It's hard for the new 'work from home' paradigm to drive this supposed wave of emigration to the boondocks (that no statistics show) when it isn't really possible to effectively telework with the sort of 5mbit asymmetrical DSL you can get out there.

I have 1gbps fiber and not in the city but not far, $80 a month. Many places Verizon has service this is available but not once you get too far. Not saying you don't need it but most people this is way overkill even if working from home w/ video conferencing. 400/400 service would be plenty and even that assumes newish devices (I have one older CPU that Ethernet port is only 100 so doesnt matter if I have anything higher).

Even for me I likely could get away w/out 1gb having 4 people, all connected all separately streaming, and all doing some type of working online but I also sometimes have data heavy GIS work I do that it makes work much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh