Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2020, 07:09 AM

806 posts, read 263,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
The whole work remote thing is going to change migration trends in this country. Nobody wants to live on top of each other where masks are required.
Going to disagree with this, working remote has been a perk of every job I've held for the last decade and I still chose to live "on top of" people in the city, and I will continue to do so in the future, as will many other young people.

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions for other people based on what you personally would do. Try to see things from other peoples' point of view.

Covid-19 will be temporary. Being stuck in a rural area is often forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 03:27 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,709,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
Going to disagree with this, working remote has been a perk of every job I've held for the last decade and I still chose to live "on top of" people in the city, and I will continue to do so in the future, as will many other young people.

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions for other people based on what you personally would do. Try to see things from other peoples' point of view.

Covid-19 will be temporary. Being stuck in a rural area is often forever.
Where am I making assumptions? I can find hundreds of news articles contradicting your claim. You have provided thoughts and feelings on the topic. Urban areas and counties are going to plummet in population. Especially those with stagnant and weaker economies.

Pittsburgh has been forever stuck in a pattern of decline. And as of this response there is no evidence to suggest COVID-19 is temporary.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:55 PM

141 posts, read 142,695 times
It's worth noting that not all places outsides cities are sprawl and big box stores like Cranberry. I know the Pittsburgh area's surrounding river towns are literally falling apart, but there are places all over the country where that is not the case. Here in NC there are tons of small towns with walkable areas and parks just a stones throw from big city ammenities. The coffee shops, restaurants, dog parks, and breweries are already there.

Remote work is going to further transform these places and make them more desirable. If you want to pop into the city once a month for a show you still can, but also have a quiet environment and all the things you need nearby. I feel this is where the growth will lie, especially for Millenials who are slowing down but not looking to become complete home bodies.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:16 PM

32,639 posts, read 77,970,204 times
As I’ve said before I think we’ll see a rise in more of the “live/work/shop/dine/play” lifestyle centers/faux town centers like McCandless Crossing popping up in the coming years in many suburbs. It doesn’t always have to be a choice between either dense rowhouse urban living or car-dependent Cranberry sprawl. You can live a “car-light” lifestyle in the suburbs, too, and I think a lot of people would enjoy that.

To be quite frank I live in a home on the North Side that was built in 1889 and would gladly trade it for a townhouse at McCandless Crossing if I was affluent enough to live in McCandless. With me working in law enforcement and my fiancé working in banking, we’re living in a semi-walkable city neighborhood geared more towards what those in our professions are paid. I would much rather be able to walk to Milk Shake Factory, Cinemark, Trader Joe’s, and a local coffee shop (McCandless) vs. a run-down Kuhn’s, a bar, and two convenience stores (city).

Old 07-09-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood_lake View Post
It's worth noting that not all places outsides cities are sprawl and big box stores like Cranberry. I know the Pittsburgh area's surrounding river towns are literally falling apart, but there are places all over the country where that is not the case. Here in NC there are tons of small towns with walkable areas and parks just a stones throw from big city ammenities. The coffee shops, restaurants, dog parks, and breweries are already there.

Remote work is going to further transform these places and make them more desirable. If you want to pop into the city once a month for a show you still can, but also have a quiet environment and all the things you need nearby. I feel this is where the growth will lie, especially for Millenials who are slowing down but not looking to become complete home bodies.
I agree. North Carolina is a great state for this. Especially the small cities and towns between Winston-Salem, Greensboro and Raleigh Durham. Cities and towns like Winchester, VA; Charles Town, WV outside of the DC metro. Delaware, OH; Granville, OH and Newark, OH all suburbs of Columbus. Or Covington, GA an Atlanta suburb. These are places with their own little business districts with mom and pop retail, restaurants and drinking establishments.

Pittsburgh Metro has these places but they are not as nice because they have been neglected at the expense of downtown Pittsburgh and trying to jam everything into one area. These were career politicians and cronyism that made Pittsburgh metro like Detroit but turned inside out. It’s a shame because the bones are there from McKeesport Through the once small towns along the way all the way down to uniontown. Donora, Clariton, California, Monessen, Charleroi are some that come to mind. In other metros those places are hopping and desirable. I hope those places come back and people live there and work remotely. But it would take years and likely decades for that to happen. It’s hard for people to imagine those places being different if you stick around here and don’t leave much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
As I’ve said before I think we’ll see a rise in more of the “live/work/shop/dine/play” lifestyle centers/faux town centers like McCandless Crossing popping up in the coming years in many suburbs. It doesn’t always have to be a choice between either dense rowhouse urban living or car-dependent Cranberry sprawl. You can live a “car-light” lifestyle in the suburbs, too, and I think a lot of people would enjoy that.

To be quite frank I live in a home on the North Side that was built in 1889 and would gladly trade it for a townhouse at McCandless Crossing if I was affluent enough to live in McCandless. With me working in law enforcement and my fiancé working in banking, we’re living in a semi-walkable city neighborhood geared more towards what those in our professions are paid. I would much rather be able to walk to Milk Shake Factory, Cinemark, Trader Joe’s, and a local coffee shop (McCandless) vs. a run-down Kuhn’s, a bar, and two convenience stores (city).
Why don’t you think Marshall Shadeland and some other areas of the north side haven’t taken off as they could or should? There are more people living in your neighborhood than central Lawrenceville. Is it because the wages of people in your neighborhood? Many can’t support businesses? I think the North Side is way better than the East End for ease of navigation and getting around. Back in the day it was a wealthy city when it wasn’t part of Pittsburgh. I guess I don’t get why it doesn’t do better as an area of the city. Especially with the convenience to get from place to place. I like west park, Mexican war streets and Allegheny west

Old 07-09-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm much more interested in zero forced car use. My wife and I share one car we bought six years ago, and it's got less than 32K miles on it, all leisure driving. We primarily use the T or bicycle to get around.

I've worked downtown for a decade. Got laid off in 2019 and my new job was four blocks from my old one. The only thing that changed is which T stop I got off on.

I once drove to Cranberry for a job interview and decided I'd turn the job down before I got there. The drive was absolutely miserable.

McCandless Crossing has nothing for me and still necessitates a car to get around. Some people prefer city living, and there's nothing you're going to do to change their (our) minds. Different strokes for different folks, and that's okay.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Well, medical professionals are exempt from the new immigration restrictions. So they'll still continue coming here for UPMC.
By putting a slight damper on the tech industry, perhaps this will help slow down the intense gentrification that occurred in this city over the last several years.
Its hilariously ironic and hypocritical to me that our local liberal leadership is more interested in importing highly-paid foreigners to displace local residents than they are in helping to keep the existing locals here.
Amen brother. It is ironic isn’t it?

More immigration when we are in the middle of a doomsday pandemic too. We should stay locked down but high tech and universities should continue to operate as normal because they are special. Oh and let’s be reminded by the Duolingo owner how valuable his company is. He will move to Canada in the middle of a pandemic. What a joke.

Canada is difficult to get a work visa right now. In fact we have an attorney up there trying to get me one and it’s taking a while. Things are a snails pace due to the virus.

Liberals thought this pandemic would erase the exurbs, rural areas and small towns. The opposite actually happened. It is hurting them the most. Max exodus out of urban areas, liberal institutions and businesses suffering. And AOC has more cases than any other house district in the US. Her district is a biohazard area. How’s that universal health care, affordable housing and 15 dollar an hour working wage fight going?

Old 07-09-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Liberals thought this pandemic would erase the exurbs, rural areas and small towns. The opposite actually happened. It is hurting them the most. Max exodus out of urban areas, liberal institutions and businesses suffering. And AOC has more cases than any other house district in the US. Her district is a biohazard area. How’s that universal health care fight going?
I understand you're pushing a political agenda here, but AOC's district is one of the few places in America that has seen continuously fewer cases over time in the United States.

Meanwhile, prime sun belt white exodus states like Texas, Florida, and Arizona are a mess. Florida is up over a thousand percent in confirmed cases week over week.

Generally, a political agenda should be accompanied with a little reality to sweeten the pot.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
I understand you're pushing a political agenda here, but AOC's district is one of the few places in America that has seen continuously fewer cases over time in the United States.

Meanwhile, prime sun belt white exodus states like Texas, Florida, and Arizona are a mess. Florida is up over a thousand percent in confirmed cases week over week.

Generally, a political agenda should be accompanied with a little reality to sweeten the pot.
Lol. Those were the people pushing a political agenda. The most openminded and connected group of people that barely understand things outside of their own world and have issues if you think and feel differently than they do.

Meanwhile CMU joined a lawsuit against Trump because of the immigration halt. I love it. The people who want this pandemic doomsday are the ones who still want floods of immigrants coming here in the middle of the pandemic and while millions of unemployed Americans are sitting on the sidelines. It makes no sense and is delusional.

Don’t worry the city population will continue to dwindle. CMU should just take the year off like everyone else.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Lol. Those were the people pushing a political agenda. The most openminded and connected group of people that barely understand things outside of their own world and have issues if you think and feel differently than they do.

Meanwhile CMU joined a lawsuit against Trump because of the immigration halt. I love it. The people who want this pandemic doomsday are the ones who still want floods of immigrants coming here in the middle of the pandemic and while millions of unemployed Americans are sitting on the sidelines. It makes no sense and is delusional.

Don’t worry the city population will continue to dwindle. CMU should just take the year off like everyone else.
If you hate it here so much, why don't you leave? I couldn't imagine living somewhere that made me miserable enough to complain on the internet constantly about it.

Why are you Trump people so angry all the time? You won. You got your reality TV show president, a stacked federal bench, and at least two Supreme Court seats. Why are you all so constantly aggrieved and complaining, when you won?

I swear, some people just want to be unhappy all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh