Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2020, 05:10 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,702,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
where ARE these people? i know none, and feel out of place all the time.
I was going to ask the same thing. I’d like to know as well. People of all backgrounds seem to be struggling here unless it is the techies and guys like the Duolingo owner.

SCR made it seem like he thinks he’s the only household working in his neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 05:55 AM

6,360 posts, read 5,087,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post

SCR made it seem like he thinks he’s the only household working in his neighborhood.
there are some nice streets in Marshall-Shadeland, with seemingly normal people. i was seriously thinking of a house up there a few years ago, and talked to the neighbor for a few minutes. it was one of the more handsome streets, with nicely kept properties.

there are larger swaths that are less appealing. i think brighton heights is the inverse of that - mostly 'nice' looking areas, with a few less so.

remember the kids are out of school - maybe it was they who were setting off fireworks all day....every day...for hours and hours a day....

Old 07-08-2020, 08:13 AM

14,357 posts, read 17,131,371 times
Quote:
where ARE these people? i know none, and feel out of place all the time.
I dunno. I think we're about the same age (I'm 41 now), but I'm married with kids, and you are single IIRC. Maybe we run in different crews?

Off the top of my head, people I know:

1. Parents of daughter's friend. One (originally from Connecticut) works in IT for PNC. The other (immigrant from Samoa) decided to go back to school and become an RN. They live in a small house in Central Lawrenceville.

2. Parents of daughter's friend. Both are immigrants from Germany, and both work as researchers in Pitt's cellular biology department. They have a small rental house in Greenfield. I'm always surprised they don't move, because I'm sure they could afford better.

3. Another friend of my daughter. Father is from England and apparently a professor - I dunno if at Pitt or CMU. I'm not sure what the mother does. They live in Regent Square.

4. Yet another of my daughter's friends has a father who is from Hungary and a CMU professor. Her parents are now divorced, her mother is Brazilian. She lives in Point Breeze.

5. Another friend lives in Highland Park. His dad is an engineer, his mom is an architect.

6. My son is in Kindergarten, and didn't get much time to develop good friends this year before social distancing started. He did end up friends with a girl who lives here in Morningside however. I know her mom works as a researcher for UPMC. Not sure what her dad does - it seems like he might have a more ordinary type of job.

8. Several of my wife's coworkers - all of whom are architects - have kids and live in the city, including in Mount Washington, Greenfield, and Lawrenceville. IIRC most of them have their kids go to ECS or Pittsburgh Public Schools.

9. I don't know many of my neighbors too well, but I know on my block alone there are like three different families with kids varying from toddlers to school age. Plenty more on the surrounding blocks as well.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:22 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,740,564 times
Quote:
there are some nice streets in Marshall-Shadeland, with seemingly normal people. i was seriously thinking of a house up there a few years ago, and talked to the neighbor for a few minutes. it was one of the more handsome streets, with nicely kept properties.

there are larger swaths that are less appealing. i think brighton heights is the inverse of that - mostly 'nice' looking areas, with a few less so.

remember the kids are out of school - maybe it was they who were setting off fireworks all day....every day...for hours and hours a day....
Love Marshall-Shadeland area. Some crazy nice home there, some not. But I always feel safe there. Though the stupid media/tv news likes to bring up bad news about the area as often as they can.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:24 AM

994 posts, read 506,666 times
Quote:
What baseless claims? Millennials are moving to the suburbs now. You are a few years behind.
My phrasing wasn't accurate. I, like many, still universally use the term for 20 somethings, when in fact, they are older now - this is still about age and place in life for most.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:32 AM

6,360 posts, read 5,087,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Love Marshall-Shadeland area. Some crazy nice home there, some not. But I always feel safe there. Though the stupid media/tv news likes to bring up bad news about the area as often as they can.
i disagree with that. the media will report on what goes on. do you think they have some agenda to put M-S in a bad light? i do not like that area - aside from my admiration of some pockets, and the roadways along and near the beautiful cemeteries - and that is why i couldn't pull the trigger to buy a house there.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:22 PM

806 posts, read 262,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Okay. So some childless people in their twenties and thirties want to live in a city for a little while before they move to the suburbs. So what? How many Pittsburgh neighborhoods will they take up?

The days of middle-class people raising children in the city are going, going, gone. Pittsburgh police officers don't have to live in the city anymore. Pittsburgh firefighters still do, so I guess they'll be some of the last people within the city limits who aren't either: a. childless people in their twenties and early thirties, or b. wealthy people in Squirrel Hill/Shadyside/Point Breeze, or c. the poorest of the poor. And many of the poor have been heading east of the city for some time now.

So the question is: how many neighborhoods will continue to be peopled by groups other than the poor? My guess is: not that many. The East End university area will remain as-is. There will always be party neighborhoods for the young, which will remain the South Side Flats and, maybe, Lawrenceville. Mt. Washington probably won't change much. Well-heeled people who like pretty architecture will likely continue to live in the Lower North Side and Highland Park. And.....that's probably about it.
This sort of thinking hinges on assuming that living in the suburbs is an inherently superior default and that people only choose living in cities over the suburbs when certain checklist items are met.

I grew up in a city and for me, I will always choose to live in the city because suburban living and enforced car dependency just doesn't interest me. A lot of people my age (late thirties) are the same way.

I bought my house four years ago and in that time, the houses on either side have been purchased by young (early thirties) couples with children. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for the seventies to repeat itself.

Even if remote work becomes the norm, young people with a good income aren't going to choose to live in a place where they can't spend that income on anything more interesting than Target and Applebee's.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
This sort of thinking hinges on assuming that living in the suburbs is an inherently superior default and that people only choose living in cities over the suburbs when certain checklist items are met.

I grew up in a city and for me, I will always choose to live in the city because suburban living and enforced car dependency just doesn't interest me. A lot of people my age (late thirties) are the same way.

I bought my house four years ago and in that time, the houses on either side have been purchased by young (early thirties) couples with children. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for the seventies to repeat itself.

Even if remote work becomes the norm, young people with a good income aren't going to choose to live in a place where they can't spend that income on anything more interesting than Target and Applebee's.
But right now Allegheny County is a biohazard area. Cases are rising and you can’t social distance.

Smaller towns and suburban areas a drawing a lot of folks in once again. I have vacant land near deep creek lake Maryland. They are expecting growth in the county down there. The housing market is red hot there and people are putting multiple offers in on property. It is peaceful, safe, scenic and remote. They are seeing an influx due to this pandemic and not having to work right in the thick of things around DC and Pittsburgh.

The whole work remote thing is going to change migration trends in this country. Nobody wants to live on top of each other where masks are required. A lot of people have to live in or near Pittsburgh due to necessity not necessarily choice. We have heard the observation that downtown Pittsburgh is a ghost town. Plus businesses closing up shop. The city put all its eggs in everybody having to work downtown and pay lots of money to park. Things are changing and larger dense cities with virus cases spiking are going to have a rough go of it. I actually think the population of Allegheny county may plummet. Lots of tax dollars reliable for years are gonna be lost in one swoop.

Anything is possible but I wouldn’t expect dense cities to be the choice for many people in the future especially when you can work remote.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post

And it is already happening. Suburban, exurban and rural areas are on the upswing. The virus pandemic requiring social distancing and allowing people to work remote have fueled this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...n-suburbs.html

Those that prayed for the demise of Donald trumps legacy are probably going to get it, but at the expense destroying their own cities and businesses. People are moving out of urban areas. High tech startups and big expensive colleges have no access to Immigrants with the halt on immigration. One could argue that those areas that speak the loudest for the far left agenda have been hit the hardest and my have the largest amount of long term damage done.

Be careful what you wish for.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:57 AM

806 posts, read 262,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
But right now Allegheny County is a biohazard area. Cases are rising and you can’t social distance.

Smaller towns and suburban areas a drawing a lot of folks in once again. I have vacant land near deep creek lake Maryland. They are expecting growth in the county down there. The housing market is red hot there and people are putting multiple offers in on property. It is peaceful, safe, scenic and remote. They are seeing an influx due to this pandemic and not having to work right in the thick of things around DC and Pittsburgh.

The whole work remote thing is going to change migration trends in this country. Nobody wants to live on top of each other where masks are required. A lot of people have to live in or near Pittsburgh due to necessity not necessarily choice. We have heard the observation that downtown Pittsburgh is a ghost town. Plus businesses closing up shop. The city put all its eggs in everybody having to work downtown and pay lots of money to park. Things are changing and larger dense cities with virus cases spiking are going to have a rough go of it. I actually think the population of Allegheny county may plummet. Lots of tax dollars reliable for years are gonna be lost in one swoop.

Anything is possible but I wouldn’t expect dense cities to be the choice for many people in the future especially when you can work remote.
Allegheny County is fine. As long as you take sensible measures you'll be okay. I'm in the city and my neighbors are taking this seriously.

I'll take Allegheny County with covid-19 over Fayette County without it. There's no appeal whatsoever to me in living in rural or suburban areas and many people my age or younger agree.

You could cut Murrysville out of Allegheny County with an xacto knife, drop it into Missouri, and no one would notice. The suburbs are incredibly homogeneous. That might have been fine for our parents, but younger people want more out of life than the same exact things you can find in any other suburb.

Low cost of living areas are low cost of living for a reason. No one who is capable of making a large salary remotely is going to choose to live in a place where that salary can't be spent on anything interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh