Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 11:19 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
. When you just compare the city propers and even MSA, the LA area blows it away. When it comes to the Philly/Pittsburgh comparison, I'm still trying to figure out how does Pittsburgh belong in the same tier level as Philly.
Delusion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 11:27 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Blackbeauty do you realize how ridiculous^ this^ statement sounds? Philadelphia has a population of 1.5 M compared to Pitts 300k. You unearthed some bad info.
I backed it up with sources.....Again that 1.5 means nothing on the surface.....half of the 1.5 contributes nothing to city GDP...Philadelphia's jobs as KidPhilly outlines are sprawled throughout the Philadelphia metro NOT LOCATED in Philadelphia county.

1 in every 4 jobs are located in the City of Pittsburgh with 116Bn GDP...Enough Said...

More GDP comes from within the City of Pittsburgh than within the City of Philadelphia....the Data proves that.

Sorry if this is all over your head Rainrock, instead of being that "fact-less, Philly Booster" you need to study up.

Quote:
Your SF to LA anaolgy is also faulty. SF region per capita is much wealthier than the LA area but greater Pitttsburgh IS NOT wealthier than the Philly region. In fact the Philadelphia region easily outclasses Pitt in' this regard. Of the 10 meto Philadelphia counties 7 of them are top 100 wealthiest in the usa.
No its not flawed, my comparison of SF to LA is based on State attention/dollars and if you look solely at this metric it matches up exactly to how PA treats both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

The City of Philadelphia and City of Pittsburgh are on par as far incomes per capita....Your agruement hold weight if the subject was Philadelphia suburbs and exurbs vs Pittsburgh exurbs and suburbs...

In Pittsburgh 7 out of 8 fortune 500 companies are located within the City of Pittsburgh...How many of Philadelphia's are actually in Philadelphia?

Philadelphia is Poorer City than Pittsburgh.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 06-23-2012 at 12:03 PM..

Old 06-23-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I agree with what you said about the San Fran/LA argument. The thing about San Francisco is that it needs the entire Bay Area just to be mentioned in the same breath as Los Angeles. When you just compare the city propers and even MSA, the LA area blows it away. When it comes to the Philly/Pittsburgh comparison, I'm still trying to figure out how does Pittsburgh belong in the same tier level as Philly.
Because the state of Pennsylvania places them in the same class level, and the state of California does for LA/SF... These cities are equals in the eyes of their states....Houston and Dallas with TX can be used as another example.

NYC and Buffalo are not equals not even close, Buffalo does not receive nearly the same attention and state dollars that NYC does from NYS.

Again if Philadelphia was such the "Powerhouse" city over Pittsburgh, that Philly Booster try to portray....It would not be seen as equal entities in State government, Philadelphia would have enough political clout like an NYC to have the majority of attention/dollars paid to it. Why does everything happen in Philadelphia after Pittsburgh if that's the case, i mean if you want to get down to the nitty gritty of it.

Why does Pittsburgh get everything off the ground before Philadelphia?

Stadiums
Convention Center
Subway Expansion

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 06-23-2012 at 11:42 AM..

Old 06-23-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

Philadelphia is Poorer City than Pittsburgh.
On a per capita basis though which isnt surprising given the history of the 2 cities. Pittsburgh a tiny hamlet in comparison to Philadlephias world reknown manufacturing/industrial might and post industrial fall.

But there is no way that the city of Pittsburgh has a higher GDP than the city of Philadelphia. Now GDP Per Capita? maybe.

Last edited by rainrock; 06-23-2012 at 11:53 AM..

Old 06-23-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I backed it up with sources.... Enough Said...

More GDP comes from within the City of Pittsburgh than within the City of Philadelphia....the Data proves that.
You are misguided.

and

Your sources are wrong.

The top 5 employers in Pa.

1.State government
2.Walmart(sadly)
3.City of Philadelphia
4.Univ of Pennsylvania(Philadelphia)
5.School District of Philadelphia

There is no chance a city of 300,000 creates a greater GDP than a city of 1.5 M.

I'll get you straightened with the right figures when I get the time.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
On a per capita basis though which isnt surprising given the history of the 2 cities. Pittsburgh a tiny hamlet in comparison to world reknown manufacturing/industrial might and post industrial decay

And what is Pittsburgh if not known as a manufacturing / steel powerhouse that has been heralded in almost every national publication this decade as the "Comeback" City, that is now a center for Ed/Meds/Finance/Energy/IT. Not to mention America's Most Livable and Tops in World Livability.

We're are all the national accolades for Philadelphia?

Quote:
But there is no way that the city of Pittsburgh has a higher GDP than the city of Philadelphia. GDP Per Capita? maybe.
I showed you the proof, I backed up all my claims.

Philadelphia County has a 78Bn GDP......The City of Pittsburgh has about 88% of Pittsburgh Metro's 116bn GDP...so that puts it about +/- 95bn in GDP from the City Pittsburgh

https://www.city-data.com/forum/24864711-post177.html

Remember this:

Quote:
And the city would probably rank even higher if it weren't so small; Pittsburgh ranks sixth in the country in jobs per square mile, behind only Boston, Miami, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
You are misguided.

and

Your sources are wrong.

The top 5 employers in Pa.

1.State government
2.Walmart(sadly)
3.City of Philadelphia
4.Univ of Pennsylvania(Philadelphia)
5.School District of Philadelphia

There is no chance a city of 300,000 creates a greater GDP than a city of 1.5 M.

I'll get you straightened with the right figures when I get the time.
LMAO! It's been proven by official sources, I've backed up my every claim up....you Rainrock have shown NO OFFICIAL DATA or Sources to back up your Booster claims, that are just that CLAIMS.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:30 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
You can throw numbers back and forth all year long. Ranking cities is a personal preference and there will never be one clear winner.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:00 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
**Sniff** **Sniff** I smell delusion.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:05 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Theres that "fact-less Philly Booster" syndrome again ....Can you back this up with some actual facts this time

YES LETS LOOK AT GDP...As I've already outlined

of Philadelphia's 347B GDP...only 78B actually comes from inside Philadelphia county....meaning only 22% of Philadelphia Metro's GDP comes from the City.

Pittsburgh's 116B GDP....95B comes from within the City of Pittsburgh easily calculated by the simple fact that 1 in every 4 jobs in the Pittsburgh Metro is located within the city of Pittsburgh.

Again city of Pittsburgh has more jobs per Sq Mile than City of Philadelphia.

I don't hate Philly....But again...I'm SICK and TIRED of Philly Boosters trying to marginalize Pittsburgh as some insiginificant 2nd Class City, not on a level as Philadelphia when there's simply no data to support those claims outside of simple population figures.
Sure that may be... but you have to understand that a lot of people who live in the city, work in the suburbs. Also, a lot of people who live throughout the metro work in the city... so what your saying is half of the people in the City don't work? LOL... they just work in the suburbs and not the city.

Also Pittsburgh is wealthier than Philadelphia? Really? Really? Really... Let's not even get started on the counties outside the city... especially the main line. I'll stay focused on the city. Rittenhouse Square, Society Hill and Chestnut Hill are three neighborhoods in Philadelphia that are wealthier than ANY neighborhood in Pittsburgh. Fitler Square, Washington Square West, University City, Clark Park, Spruce Hill, Powelton Village, Cedar Park, Woodland Terrace, Queen Village, Bella Vista, Fairmount, Spring Garden, Poplar, Franklintown, Manayunk, Roxborough, and West Mount Airy are ALL neighborhoods that are just as wealthy, a little wealthier or almost as wealthy as the WEALTHIEST neighborhoods in Pittsburgh... the square mileage of all these neighborhoods combined probably equal the total square mileage of the ENTIRE CITY of Pittsburgh. You need to understand that Philly is much larger square mileage wise than Pittsburgh... all the nice areas of Philadelphia combined are larger than the entire city of Pittsburgh. I didn't even mention any of the middle class areas...

You are delusional. Take a deep breath. Relax. Get over your sports rivalries and except the fact that your city is number 2 in importance to the state. And like 25th in importance to the country... while Philly is in the top 10 (number 7 I believe)... and always has been and always will be.

The GDP for PA was something around 500 billion... the Philadelphia metro (just the counties in PA) produced over 300 billion of that.... that is more than half of the ENTIRE states GDP... and Pittsburgh was 116 bill? Yeah you're right Pittsburgh is more important to this state... LOL

There has been a lack of job growth in the City of Philadelphia because of an old business tax that no longer works for modern times... it is currently being reworked though... so will be interesting to see the city's GDP once that happens... oh also they are building a high speed line from Boston to New York to Philadelphia to Washington DC.

Philly to New York will take a little over 30 minutes. You know how many businesses will move to Philadelphia for the cheaper real estate? Lol.

Philly has a brighter future ahead of it than Pittsburgh. Especially since Philly fell A LOT harder than Pittsburgh and had much larger obstacles to over come and is a much larger city. The amount of revitalization in Philadelphia is staggering, especially since it didn't start until the late 90's. Entire neighborhoods have been rebuilt. Entire neighborhoods are being built in old industrial zones that are no longer used. Once the city gets a new business tax (which is happening), better schools (which is slowly happening) and lowers it's crime, the city will see explosive growth.

Pittsburgh can't even keep retail downtown... Pittsburgh's growth is going to come to an abrupt halt if it can't even provide it's residents with simple life amenities.

I love Pittsburgh and I wish it the best. It is one of my favorite cities. Beautiful natural scenery, beautiful skyline. But it is no where near as important to this state let alone this country as Philadelphia is. IDK why you can't except that and love Pittsburgh for what it is instead of boosting it to something it's not. Pittsburgh never felt like a large city to me and that's why it attracts people. People like good mid-sized cities and some people don't like major cities like Philadelphia.

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 06-23-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania