Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 04:54 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,780,099 times

Advertisements

I certainly will talk to him.

I'm all about keeping myself healthy and alive. After all, I have much to live for

My girls, all of them, need me and I want to be here for them. I'm not a person that will discount anything. I'm the one that holds things together and takes care of all the little and big goings on in our lives. I know I'm needed.

If the doc tells me to train for a marathon, I will do it. If he tells me I need to swallow some pills, I'll do that too.

This is the same doctor that took care of my grandmother's heart issues without surgery. He tinkered with meds and got her to a ripe age of 93. This is why I drive an hour to see him.

My grandmother was the best. I want to be just like her for my own granddaughter and grand kids of the future.
My own kids will be undergoing a lot of change in the next year and as heartbreaking as it will seem, it's good things. I'm at my fork in the road with my girls growing up and finishing school and starting college on their own without the daily presence of mom and dad. I have tears in my eyes thinking of it.

I know these are positive changes.

My oldest had one plan to finish school but has now looked into another. It's a good thing. Just a different location. She's thinking with her head and wallet. Finally!!! Some of what I said in the past is sinking in!! I really wasn't ignored!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 06:50 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,812,008 times
In my neck of the woods, one can do the first two years of an education degree at a community college for less than four thousand dollars/year, then transfer seamlessly to a state college to finish in another two years for about seventeen thousand dollars/year. All living at home. This is the cheapest way to get an education degree here, and it is accepted and respected by the local school districts. You then get known by doing a few long term subs, then get hired. After you're already hired full time, and on your way, then you get the masters degree, cause school districts want to hire the candidate they can pay the least, not the person who already has a masters. I hope you have something similar there, and that she is looking into this. Her goal of being a teacher is an excellent one, in her situation as a single mother.

I have broad experience with both antidepressants and antianxiety medications. The side effects of the SSRIs are usually mild, and tolerable. In addition to helping with depression, they can be helpful for the kind of obsessive anxiety, where a person cannot fall asleep at night because they keep on obsessing about something that is bothering them. The benzodiazepine anti anxiety medications come in several forms, short and long acting. A psychiatrist I knew called Xanax the "devil's own medication", because although it relieved anxiety for six hours or so, the person then had worse rebound anxiety after it wore off, and so sought more of it. Soon the worst of their woes was their need for more Xanax. All of the anxiolytics are relatively short acting, ranging from eight hours to twenty four hours at most, probably less. They are very difficult to wean off of.

Look at the big picture. Everyone is healthy. (I'm sure your doctor will tell you your chest pain is all due to stress). You and your husband are employed. You are not in financial trouble. You have a beautiful new healthy grandchild, and a daughter who is taking good care of her, and making reasonable plans for continuing to move toward independence. The worst thing is the FOB's parents? Ignore them! They are meaningless in your life. You can see them next at your granddaughter's high school graduation. The FOB is an idiot who listens to bad advice from his parents, but it sounds like he is trying to do the right thing, by ascertaining that he is the father once and for all. They'll get the paternity test, they'll get a court order in place for child support and visitation, and by that time the baby will be old enough to safely go there. Who cares if the paternity test is delayed? Things are peaceful now, and by the time it finally gets done, the baby will be a little more able to leave mom briefly. After all, if she can go to daycare in the fall, she can certainly go to her father's family to visit in the fall, too. And it's all good - it will give your daughter a chance to study and work.

My grandmother had a saying. If everyone put their troubles out on the street like their garbage, you'd walk up and down the street, and then pick your own all over again. This is not so terrible. You just need to adjust the way you see it. A counselor may be able to help you with that.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:23 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,415,491 times
I did the community college+ public university to get my teaching degree. It helped tremendously cut down the cost. I was hired right away as a teacher. My sister did this too, and she's a pharmacist.

CC is great for a few semesters at least.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,245,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I have broad experience with both antidepressants and antianxiety medications. The side effects of the SSRIs are usually mild, and tolerable. In addition to helping with depression, they can be helpful for the kind of obsessive anxiety, where a person cannot fall asleep at night because they keep on obsessing about something that is bothering them. The benzodiazepine anti anxiety medications come in several forms, short and long acting. A psychiatrist I knew called Xanax the "devil's own medication", because although it relieved anxiety for six hours or so, the person then had worse rebound anxiety after it wore off, and so sought more of it. Soon the worst of their woes was their need for more Xanax. All of the anxiolytics are relatively short acting, ranging from eight hours to twenty four hours at most, probably less. They are very difficult to wean off of.
Xanax is not the preferred drug. You need to let the MDs make these decisions with Jersey.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:51 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,758,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Wow....just because a young woman wants to get this all over and done with and stop with the unknowns, she is somehow trying to pull one over on the father of her child?
WTH? The post I quoted said the new mom is on pins and needles waiting for the outcome of the paternity test. That made me wonder if she has questions about the outcome. I neither said nor implied that she was trying to "pull one over" on anyone.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:12 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,812,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Xanax is not the preferred drug. You need to let the MDs make these decisions with Jersey.
of course it's not. but they all have the same issue.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:32 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
WTH? The post I quoted said the new mom is on pins and needles waiting for the outcome of the paternity test. That made me wonder if she has questions about the outcome. I neither said nor implied that she was trying to "pull one over" on anyone.
No. Not waiting on the outcome but on just getting it done and over with.

She got the date. It's Tuesday next week. She found out the holdup was he had to pay for it first.

It will be fine. She's not stressing the outcome. Just wants it done.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:44 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,758,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
No. Not waiting on the outcome but on just getting it done and over with.

She got the date. It's Tuesday next week. She found out the holdup was he had to pay for it first.

It will be fine. She's not stressing the outcome. Just wants it done.
Thank you for the polite response. As I think you understood, I wasn't implying anything with my question--it was just something I was curious about.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:50 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,630,201 times
Please have her talk to some actual teachers before she goes to school for it.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:19 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,415,491 times
I am a teacher and it's a great profession to do while raising a family. The bigger question is ... Can she be hired in your area? I'm in Texas and we recruit many teachers from the Midwest and northeast.

The good thing is that there are lots of night classes offered because some practicing teachers are the professors. I really appreciated a flexible schedule when I was putting myself through school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting