Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 05:41 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,766,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Her future would be written in stone if she was allowed to break the deal.

Good job, Granny! Can we call you Granny?
Oh good lord, no. Not Granny. That's so old sounding!!!

Yes, her future would be in much worse shape if she breaks the deal. I won't let her. The stakes are way too high.

I had one child that just wouldn't take the binky. She preferred her thumb. It definitely did a number on her teeth. She needed braces and it fixed it.

I have to admit, it was adorable. She sucked her thumb and twirled her hair. Each morning I had to unravel dreadlocks. She would wake up and tell me she made "dweads".

No harm. Her teeth are fine and her hair is gorgeous.

I know it's not a good thing but it comforts her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I missed this.

Please take care of yourself. It's good you're getting checked. Chest pain is nothing to mess around with or ignore.
Thank you. My appointment is tomorrow.

I know it's nothing to play with. I also like to downplay health matters. I don't think anyone wants to believe there is something very wrong.

My mom died in her sleep from a heart attack pretty young. I started getting myself checked early. Actually it was earlier than I wanted to. I had a routine pre OP EKG that showed a problem. It was about 5 years before I planned on cardiac care.

It's ok though. We know there is a problem and can keep our eyes on it.

Thank you for you words of concern and encouragement. I appreciate it.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:51 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,787,955 times
Ugh. Thank goodness you quit smoking. That in and of itself is a big reduction in risk. You should know that weight loss and aerobic exercise (start with walking, like taking the baby out in a stroller and walking as fast as you can with her) will also help, but wait on the walking until after you get the okay from the cardiologist. And it IS possible to reverse coronary artery disease! Look into the Ornish diet - very low fat, mostly whole grains and fruits and vegetables. IT WORKS! My father-in-law was able to reopen blocked arteries into his legs (intermittent claudication) with this diet. It was challenging to follow, but he did it, and he probably added another twenty good years to his life by doing it. And until you do see the cardiologist, take a baby aspirin a day to decrease your risk of clotting off a narrowed coronary artery.

Sorry you are going through this. You've had so much stress this year from this. Of course, the baby must be a great source of joy, too, which helps. Hope everything is okay tomorrow.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Ugh. Thank goodness you quit smoking. That in and of itself is a big reduction in risk. You should know that weight loss and aerobic exercise (start with walking, like taking the baby out in a stroller and walking as fast as you can with her) will also help, but wait on the walking until after you get the okay from the cardiologist. And it IS possible to reverse coronary artery disease! Look into the Ornish diet - very low fat, mostly whole grains and fruits and vegetables. IT WORKS! My father-in-law was able to reopen blocked arteries into his legs (intermittent claudication) with this diet. It was challenging to follow, but he did it, and he probably added another twenty good years to his life by doing it. And until you do see the cardiologist, take a baby aspirin a day to decrease your risk of clotting off a narrowed coronary artery.

Sorry you are going through this. You've had so much stress this year from this. Of course, the baby must be a great source of joy, too, which helps. Hope everything is okay tomorrow.
I will look into that diet.

He has me on aspirin and a statin. I've always had high cholesterol even as a vegetarian.

I do exercise. My weight is ok. Creeped up a little since quitting but nothing terrible.

The doctor told me to avoid stress. Lol! That was right before I found out my daughter was pregnant. Unreal.

This has been the most stressful year in a very long time. Yes, this little sweetie gives me a lot of joy. Her smile is so contagious. It can pull me out of a bad or sad mood instantly.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I will look into that diet.

He has me on aspirin and a statin. I've always had high cholesterol even as a vegetarian.

I do exercise. My weight is ok. Creeped up a little since quitting but nothing terrible.

The doctor told me to avoid stress. Lol! That was right before I found out my daughter was pregnant. Unreal.

This has been the most stressful year in a very long time. Yes, this little sweetie gives me a lot of joy. Her smile is so contagious. It can pull me out of a bad or sad mood instantly.
Please take care of yourself. That means getting medication for stress if your exercise and CD outlet isn't keeping it under control. Make sure you tell the doctor that you have stress that is beyond your control at this point in your life and you need help managing it in whatever way he recommends.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Please take care of yourself. That means getting medication for stress if your exercise and CD outlet isn't keeping it under control. Make sure you tell the doctor that you have stress that is beyond your control at this point in your life and you need help managing it in whatever way he recommends.
Is there really medicine for that? I would be willing to try it.

I do meditation and yoga but find I'm only really unstressed when doing it. As soon as it's over, life is continuing on!!

Old 07-15-2014, 07:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Have you tried tai chi? There are DVDs that teach the movements. I'm a huge believer in the benefits of tai chi. Good luck tomorrow!

Old 07-15-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Yes. Antidepressants and antianxiety medication treat anxiety. Stress (cause) and anxiety (symptom) are essentially the same thing because stress is what causes anxiety symptoms. You can't eliminate your stressors (daughter, baby, court action, etc.) because they're not optional in your life. As a result, you need to manage the anxiety (symptom) that results from the stress (cause).

Another option is to increase your cardio workout. It releases serotonin and helps wear out your nervous system. Think of a puppy and all of its energy and how you have to wear out a puppy for it to be calm for a while. Same application.

TALK to your doctor first before increasing your cardio exercise because I don't know how that plays into your heart issue. Cardio exercise is good for people with heart disease, but the type of cardio depends on each person's problem. For example, my girlfriend is only allowed to walk for cardio, and she isn't allowed to lift more than 10 lbs. So don't change exercise without talking to the doctor.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:57 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,787,955 times
Quote:

I do meditation and yoga but find I'm only really unstressed when doing it. As soon as it's over, life is continuing on!!
Be careful about medication for this, unless it's truly just for very temporary stress (for instance, the night before a court date when you cannot sleep). The problem is that as soon as the med wears off, you can have severe rebound anxiety. An SSRI antidepressant might help, but if you're not depressed, I don't think it's a good idea. They do have side effects. Increased aerobic exercise and relaxation exercises are probably a better bet.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Be careful about medication for this, unless it's truly just for very temporary stress (for instance, the night before a court date when you cannot sleep). The problem is that as soon as the med wears off, you can have severe rebound anxiety. An SSRI antidepressant might help, but if you're not depressed, I don't think it's a good idea. They do have side effects. Increased aerobic exercise and relaxation exercises are probably a better bet.
That's bull. Certain antidepressants are successfully used to treat long term anxiety without depression And the antianxiety meds that are fast acting and short lived can cause rebound anxiety, not the slow acting and long lasting antianxiety meds (unless someone goes off them too quickly). I know what I'm talking about on this subject.

Don't discourage people from treatment they may need. She doesn't have temporary stress. She has ongoing stress and her anxiety needs to be managed properly. With her heart issues, it's not responsible to potentially frighten her away from something that may protect her very life. Anxiety can increase blood pressure, over long-term can cause damage to organs, cause heart attacks, and all sorts of things. Since Jersey's mother died young of a heart attack in her sleep, and she has problems herself, this isn't the time to be standing on the natural remedy soapbox when there are medications that can help protect her from the damage anxiety can cause.

Anxiety is very treatable. There is no reason to avoid treatment if it's necessary.

I'm telling her to talk to her doctor. Let them decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting