Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 09:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,117,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
On the opposite hand, her employer took this opportunity to cut her down to 10 hours per week! By text!!

I am very thankful that we decided to pull together to help her and the baby. There is no way at 7 months pregnant she can find another job. She has to simply accept the hours she's given and move on later.

I am upset for her.
I'm sorry to hear that happened. Discrimination against pregnancy is very real. I lost my job when I was 5-1/2 months pregnant. It's the only time in my life I couldn't get hired. I interview great and have always been offered a job at every interview. Not while I was pregnant. I must have gone on 30 interviews. I eventually lucked out because I called a temp agency that sent me on an assignment without seeing me in person. My boss at the assignment was a mother of 10 children. She didn't bat an eye and she hired me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 09:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
Update.

We just had a death in the family and needed to travel for it. The family was all so supportive and kind. Several people brought her gifts for the baby to the family dinner after services.

On the opposite hand, her employer took this opportunity to cut her down to 10 hours per week! By text!!

I am very thankful that we decided to pull together to help her and the baby. There is no way at 7 months pregnant she can find another job. She has to simply accept the hours she's given and move on later.

I am upset for her.
7 months! Time sure flies. I can't wait to read your bragging posts in a couple months or so on your super-beautiful and most precious and adorable grandchild.

The waiting game is almost over. Once the baby is born and your daughter has recovered, the whole job situation can change -- and must change. That's where you have to be supportive -- but firm -- she will have to work and work hard to make it.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:47 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,768,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
7 months! Time sure flies. I can't wait to read your bragging posts in a couple months or so on your super-beautiful and most precious and adorable grandchild.

The waiting game is almost over. Once the baby is born and your daughter has recovered, the whole job situation can change -- and must change. That's where you have to be supportive -- but firm -- she will have to work and work hard to make it.
Lol! You know I will be bragging

We aren't pressuring her just now. It's not the time. She's stressing it really bad. And she should. I don't want her thinking it will be easy. We are completely planning for her to do this on her own. We are currently looking ahead to after the baby is born and her hitting the ground running to get a better job and finish school.

It's starting to get real!

Old 02-22-2014, 10:13 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,425,555 times
Quote:
Update.

We just had a death in the family and needed to travel for it. The family was all so supportive and kind. Several people brought her gifts for the baby to the family dinner after services.

I am upset for her.
Glad to hear that people gave your daughter gifts for the baby...that was so kind. On the other hand, her employer took the cowardly way out by delivering the bad news by text. Grrrrr...

Sending good thoughts out to you and your entire family. Hoping things will get better for all.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:20 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,257,979 times
Thats really low of her employer. And surely its discrimination too. Sad But hopefully your daughter will find a better job not too long after baby is born.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:00 AM

659 posts, read 1,173,986 times
My condolences to your family.

apple@home is hiring by the way and the interviews are by skype, might minimize discrimination
also WTH.com (cruise sales from home) and if she works night this may go well with a PT school schedule

she might be able to apply for unemployment on the bases of the reduced work hours, even if she is not approved it will put something on her employers mind

I've know our local maternity store to hire expectant moms on purpose simply of having a retailer that is wearing the clothes being sold

Old 02-24-2014, 05:04 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,768,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITYinternational View Post
My condolences to your family.

apple@home is hiring by the way and the interviews are by skype, might minimize discrimination
also WTH.com (cruise sales from home) and if she works night this may go well with a PT school schedule

she might be able to apply for unemployment on the bases of the reduced work hours, even if she is not approved it will put something on her employers mind

I've know our local maternity store to hire expectant moms on purpose simply of having a retailer that is wearing the clothes being sold
Apple at home seems like a good idea for her. Thank you so much for the information. Being we have a Mac she is halfway there.

I think the baby will be what will pick my husband up out of his depression over the death. At least I hope she will.

The death was someone very close to him and he is having such a difficult time with it. He's just not himself.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:03 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,792,193 times
There is nothing more uplifting than a first grandchild! And he will certainly get to see a lot of her! Please let your daughter know that you and your husband are behind her 100 percent now. A pregnant mother should never be stressed in any way, if possible, because of the bad effect upon the baby. At this point, does it really matter how many hours she works? She will find a new, better job after she recovers from the delivery. She doesn't have to tell any potential employer that she has a baby.

Time to look for a pediatrician. Some babies do come early, although it seems that the first one always comes late!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:04 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,168,721 times
I came looking for an update in their thread a couple weeks ago and couldn't find it. I am glad that I decided to look for it again.

Now I need to find out what happened to the father and why the daughter didn't move out.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,823,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I came looking for an update in their thread a couple weeks ago and couldn't find it. I am glad that I decided to look for it again.

Now I need to find out what happened to the father and why the daughter didn't move out.
It's in the thread.

They broke up, father intends to be in the picture (OP,correct me if I'm wrong).

Family found a way to make it work for daughter not to move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting